Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Six]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lancsuser

lancsuser Member

Ratings:
    +13
    forgot to mention that first rear update failed with a cheap(free) 1gb key, 2nd "identical" key worked. first key had other stuff in the root, 2nd had just update files, both were recognized. will try failed key with just update files at next update for info.
  2. Boogersa

Boogersa Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I could well be wrong but was there mention in an earlier post that the update would allow the automatic creation of folders? Has this feature been dropped(and for good)?

Can we still put forward requests for changes for any future update which may come along?

One thing I don't like is that when you are watching a program and decide to record it (by pressing the record button, not recording it from the guide) the file name is stored based on the channel it is recording, not with the name of the program.
  3. professorhat

professorhat Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Agreed - the Digital Stream is a good product, but it's not for everyone, so there's no need to start dismissing people who had legitimate concerns in my opinion. I don't think anyone wants this thread to degenerate into a slanging match like some of the other PVR owner's threads have done.
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  4. ronat

ronat Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks for that. Wish I could understand why mine isn't working,as the HD facility was the only reason I bought the DS in the first place.:rolleyes:
  5. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    It's been delayed. The original plan was to have this as an always on feature in the EoM update, however it was noted that while a lot of users would really like this feature there is also a significant number who wouldn't, this appears to be one of those marmite features that you either love or hate. So in a move that again demostrates that DS are listening to the end users I believe the plan is now is to have this as an option that can be turn on or off.

That's just reminded that a further improvement to Instant Record appear not to have made to this update, will have to check with DS what happened. Basically I asked when pressing record on a live channel you get presented the options "Finish recording after current program" and "Finish recording after next program", when this comes it may also have the effect of doing what you what as I'd expect it to use the EPG info to control the recording.

In the meantime you can set a recording for a program currently showing in the Guide and it will be currently named.
  6. BobP

BobP Member

Ratings:
    +2
    FWIW, I've had no problems with the three upgrades I've done on my DS. I've used a 4Gb TDK TF150 and freshly formatted it (FAT32) each time before unzipping the various upgrade files onto it - this is on the theory that the boot time s/w is primitive, so this provides the cleanest data source.

Bob
  7. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953

You can try a Downdate to see if it reverses the problem ?
    see post #596

If it does you can do an Application Only 411 update and then backup the channels using the 411 Backup Feature and then do the 411FVU if you wish and Restore again . . .

? ? ?
    Pete
  8. super gran

super gran Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Updated ok here, seem to have it down to a fine art at last. I always asked my son to download for me on his pc, then last time he told me to sort it myself so I bought a usb flash drive - that didn't work (downloaded ok on mac, usb recognised by DS but nothing further on back 2 or front) So now we're back on our original routine of he downloads on his pc using his flash drive and I do the upgrade on the DS. He did comment the other day that I'm talking like a geek, I take that as a compliment - thanks everyone for explaining things clearly for a nontechie like myself. :)
  9. Cathrin

Cathrin Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Oh dear! :) I'll get me coat! :) I'm not one to stay where I'm not wanted. :) ....However, I don't agree that my last point was of little interest to this community. Some of the people who've had major fan noise problems have asked about an alternative PVR. Indeed, I discovered the fanless model on another Digital Stream forum where various fan-noise-afflicted people had asked for a quieter alternative. I was grateful to the person on that forum who brought the DTR-Z500HD to my attention, and I wanted to pass on that information, in case anyone here might benefit from it if they found the DS fan noise unbearable. (A few random samples below just to illustrate that it's more than a minor problem...)

Anyway, my intention was purely to be helpful to anyone who'd given up on the DS due to the fan noise. Genuine good intentions, and certainly no offence intended. Apologies if recommending a quieter model is considered unacceptable around here, but I'm new to the thread (....and I've only lasted three weeks on it before being banished!) :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  10. Darth_terra

Darth_terra Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    if the one you bought was the same spec as your sons it should work, unless it's formated to use some other file format instead of FAT or FAT32, if it's NTFS or some other format then the DS wont be able to read it but can still detect that a usb deveice is connected, might be worth having a look as to what file format your flash drive is using.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Mark4

Mark4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So no fix yet for controlling the status bar and guidance message timeouts ? Is that still in the wishlist, or is it unfixable ?
  12. Ray Welshman

Ray Welshman Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mark, why don't you just turn the guidance messages off? in the preference menu.

Regards, Ray W.
  13. greyrider

greyrider Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I know Iplayer isn't working yet, but is there anything else to be gained by adding the box to a network?
  14. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    There's nothing to be gained from being connected to a network at the moment.

Although the DS software is now IPlayer compatible, there's still stuff that needs to be done to get BBC approval, so it's still not 100% certain yet that we'll see it.
  15. greyrider

greyrider Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Poo. Vague thoughts on being able to stream the odd item across from the PC shall remain so then (sigh).
  16. daveh48

daveh48 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi,

Just for info.....I use a "SanDisk cruzer 4GB" and this also has some backed-up PS3 games save's in the root too and not had any problems.

Cheers,

Dave.
  17. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Wasn't there a mention in this thread that the new Sony PVR was being promoted on the basis of iPlayer functionality? With Sony being a pretty big player I would have thought that the BBC would have been working alongside them and would have had some roadmap already agreed internally.
  18. davidoak

davidoak Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just a quickie...did the new FVU using a Lexar 4GB drive and it went - like those previously - perfectly well. Faster than last time too! So thanks DSK and all here for continuing help and ongoing improvements.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Mark4

Mark4 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ray

Guidance Setting doesn't stick for me. And the status bar's overly long timeout is more annoying to me than the guidance message, so that's really where I'd like to see the improvement.
  20. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    The problem is that the BBC have moved the goal posts. For any product to get the MHEG iPlayer functionality it must pass the new D-Book 6.2.1 tests and also some BBC testing before it can gain approval from the DTG organisation. Any product released last year would have been originally tested against D-Book 6.1. Needless to say DS are doing everything to try and get us the iPlayer but for the moment some barriers have been put in the way, it's strange as you'd think the BBC would want to get access to the iPlayer to as many people as possible.
  21. pippin

pippin Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Picked up my new 8205 from JL and just got it setup.

I'm getting occassional audio crackle/dropouts on BBC1HD. Galaxy Quest was on and everytime the alien men spoke you'd get a crackle.. like it was a certain frequency that was causing it.
    Audio on all other channels, including the other HD channels is fine.

Any ideas?

Other than that.. very impressed with the HD picture quality. The folks have Virgin Media HD and the DS seems far superior to me.
    SD picture quality is pants though :(
  22. daveh48

daveh48 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Hi,

What version software etc have you got?

There has been some sound problems in the past, mainly on the BBC HD channels and one of the updates cured it.....sorry not sure which one.

The latest update was released 31st March and can be downloaded from the MIT website MIT London Ltd. and a how to video is also on there MIT London Ltd. or just check out previous posts in this thread or here http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs...-dhr-8205-faq-thread-dhr-8203u-dhr-8206u.html for more info :smashin:

Cheers,

Dave.
  23. jfsebastian

jfsebastian Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Have you set guidance off and guidance message pop-up off? The timeout for the status bar is a little long but you can press exit to remove it immediately.
  24. pTd

pTd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I wouldn't worry about that. Three weeks is about twice as long as he's been a member of the forum, let alone the thread. Good quality first hand information is the whole point of these forums after all, and you've provided it. And it will influence my decision whether or not to try the DS.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Regarding your SD picture quality, mine is very sharp and I am on 1080i. Have you been into preferences and used Picture control also you might like to reset your picture control on your TV as well.
  26. pippin

pippin Member

Ratings:
    +5

System information shows..

Hardware: 0001
    Micom: 1.33
    Kernel: 2.6.18-7.1 #2 SMP Tue Feb 1 12:03:11 KST 2011
    MHEG: 2.6.0
    Application: 4.03.r7901
  27. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Ah, thanks for the update, I was not aware of that.

Any idea as to whether D-Book 6.2.1 is causing SD-Korea any issues? Or is it just a case of having to jump through more hoops to prove its adherence?

And yes, having made a pretty big song & dance about iPlayer on various mobile devices, you would have thought that they would have applied the same urgency to "proper" PVRs and display setups (after all, who wants to watch a 60-min programme on an iPhone screen?)
  28. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    In addition to that, I had a problem after the EoN update where I could not suppress those messages, regardless of the settings chosen. I was advised to perform a full reset and the set the Guidance options. That worked for me (although I did have to go through a complete retune, as well as setting up my timers again. It's much better now with the backup/restore option).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    The DS has been fully compliant to D-Book 6.2.1 since the December update, so yes it's the powers that be in this country making DS jump through more hoops, sorry but I can't go into any more detail than that.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Digit

Digit Member

Ratings:
    +3

I was also getting this noise on Galaxy Quest but seems to be fine now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.