Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Six]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering about what to possibly get next - maybe the new Sony PVR is worth a try or should I just go for a Humax?

Stick with the DS it is a good PVR. You wont beat the support that they give and as I said you should have a word with MIT.

In the meantime, certainly worth contacting MIT and see if they can help with swapping out the box and recovering the recordings in some way.

I've emailed MIT to let them know, no response yet. I've not heard back from JL either. :(

If it was me, I'd still go for another DS as it's a good unit (by the way, if it was my Grundig Freesat box that failed I definitely wouldn't do a like for like replacement). There's lots of happy DS users, just a small number that seem to be unlucky. You have to remember on the forums you always hear more from the unhappy people.

I do like the DS, I just think the build quality lets it down. My first DS suffered from the YBL problem and I thought the replacement was working perfectly up until last night. I've brought my ancient Dual PVR80 back out of retirement until I decide what to get next.

I've emailed MIT to let them know, no response yet.
If things go as they normally do, you will get a phone call, probably from someone called JD (he is the resident Korean DS engineer).

I do like the DS, I just think the build quality lets it down. My first DS suffered from the YBL problem and I thought the replacement was working perfectly up until last night. I've brought my ancient Dual PVR80 back out of retirement until I decide what to get next.
You will find the build quality of the Humax to be excellent, but the level of support from Humax to be lacking when compared with that from DS/MIT in my view (I own a Humax HD-Fox as well as the DS).

JL have just confirmed an RMA for this Friday, I am impressed with their after-sales support and customer service.

As Sandy Heath has just done DSO step 1, I've done a full rescan. After the scan, I selected "save" but then I had two choices pop up:

Cambs&Beds.: 18 services
Cambs&Beds.: 21 services

I had to select one of these for the save to complete. What's all this about ? It didn't happen when I first got the box and did its installation setup.

Incidentally, it's rather annoying that my schedule was binned after the rescan.

DHR-8205U 4.03r7732

As Sandy Heath has just done DSO step 1, I've done a full rescan. After the scan, I selected "save" but then I had two choices pop up:

I had to select one of these for the save to complete. What's all this about ? It didn't happen when I first got the box and did its installation setup.

Incidentally, it's rather annoying that my schedule was binned after the rescan.

DHR-8205U 4.03r7732

I am on Sandy Heath, choose the 21 services. It's not a fault with the DS so don't panic. In the new update you will be able to backup your schedule so you will not lose it. Update due 31st all being well.

DHR-8205U 4.03r7732

Hi

You are getting two sets of signals somehow ? ? ?

The trouble is that the space available for the number of channels seems to be a bit small so on my box I have to choose the one with the apparently smaller number to get the full set ?

I prefer to do a manual scan these days using the channels for my transmitter from DigitalUK postcode checker (trade view)

From the next update there is a Backup/Restore Function for Schedules and Channels.

There is also a method (unofficial) to use the Backup Function before doing the FVU if that is the final form of the release (The Beta is an FVU but we don't know if the final release will be yet . . . )

When the release is official I will post my unofficial method if needed !

Cheers
Pete

Ah, two sets of signals - could be now that relays (like Luton) now transmit a digital mux. I shall have a closer look at what's been picked up. Thanks for the responses.
Bob

Ah, two sets of signals - could be now that relays (like Luton) now transmit a digital mux. I shall have a closer look at what's been picked up. Thanks for the responses.
Bob

I am in Cambridge, for some reason I was picking up BBC4 from the Waltham transmitter so what I do is a manual scan (67) and it corrects it to Cambridge and Beds. which is a stronger signal.

Last edited:
Is anyone here aware of the ongoing occasional trials on the BBC HD channel, as discussed in this thread in the other place?

I only found out today, and don't know what the DS makes of progressive scan, or for that matter if my TV will cope.

Is anyone here aware of the ongoing occasional trials on the BBC HD channel, as discussed in this thread in the other place?

I only found out today, and don't know what the DS makes of progressive scan, or for that matter if my TV will cope.

If you read that entire thread a couple of users report their DS is working fine with the changes, showing the signal to be 1080p on some BBC HD material. It appears to only be BBC HD that is experimenting with 1080p/25, none of the other channels are doing so yet. It appears the mode changes even during a single programme, one person reports it happened on Top Gear. Display showed 1080i on the studio parts, changing to 1080p for some of the challenges etc. switching back to 1080i when the programme returned to the studio. This seems to suggest the encoder is quite intelligent, switching broadcast modes on the fly as and when required.

Everything has gone green on my digital stream, tv works fine and so does the cable so must be the box.... any one else had this or know if there is a fix to try?
Barney

Watching Natural World Special on BBC HD at the moment, and I can confirm the DS is showing it as 1080p.

Everything has gone green on my digital stream, tv works fine and so does the cable so must be the box.... any one else had this or know if there is a fix to try?
Barney

I had that once, it turned out to be that the HDMI cable hadn't been properly pushed in at the TV end.

On further investigation, it's become clearer. I can see a selection of 8xx channels - BBC4, BBC Parliament, Cbeebies, 301 and the BBC radio channels. These all come from Mux B on channel 67 (which is a valid Sandy Heath mux). On checking, my other kit (TV and other STBs) all show the same problem.

I guess this is the result of not removing channels from mux B even though they are now on the BBC A mux.

Bob

Barney

HDMI cable needs to be pushed in properly at both ends as mentioned.

Last edited:

DHR-8205U 4.03r7732

Getting the same from SH. Also was hopping that HD would appear at the same time, but I understand we will have to wait until the 15th April.

Stewart

I'm on the Nottingham (Kimberley) relay transmitter and we had DSO Step 1 yesterday too. I'm running the latest 4.03r7732 firmware. I did an update scan and got something like:

East midlands: 21 Services
East Midlands: 6 Services

I chose the 21 services one. Some of the channels gave "Service not available". The BBC services seemed in a right mess. The original ones were left alone, but now not working. New versions appeared in the 800 range and these were active. MrsA was not happy. So I ended up doing a full rescan. This put the right channels in the right places, but a number of them still gave the "Service not available message". Also none of the radio channels were working. Whilst in radio mode, did an update scan and this seemed to sort the radio channels. Went back to to TV mode and tried an update scan - no improvement on the non working channels. Did a manual scan on one of the specific muxes and this fixed it's channels. Tried another mux and it only resolved some of the channels. So I still don't get 5* for example. Didn't have enough time to investigate further so will look again tonight.

However, my ancient Digifusion FVRT200 rescanned and all channels are available and working. It managed to sort it out, but disappointingly the DS seems to be struggling. And there's another round of changes in a fortnight. Woo hoo.......!!

In comparison, channels come and go on Freesat and I don't have to do a thing. The Grundig (which is crappy in many respects) just presents the new channels or removes them, no interaction required (other than hiding new crud from the active channel list).

Last edited:
If you read that entire thread a couple of users report their DS is working fine with the changes, showing the signal to be 1080p on some BBC HD material. It appears to only be BBC HD that is experimenting with 1080p/25, none of the other channels are doing so yet. It appears the mode changes even during a single programme, one person reports it happened on Top Gear. Display showed 1080i on the studio parts, changing to 1080p for some of the challenges etc. switching back to 1080i when the programme returned to the studio. This seems to suggest the encoder is quite intelligent, switching broadcast modes on the fly as and when required.

Funnily enough I did read it before posting here (like any of the links I post for information), but I don't know if mossy2103 visits here - he was the only one who mentioned the digitalstream (twice) - and AFAIK nobody here previously mentioned it

BTW, What did your TV make of the interlaced/progressive scan changes?

Finally got a reply from MIT - they reckon it's a disk fault (NSS!)

I'm on the Nottingham (Kimberley) relay transmitter and we had DSO Step 1 yesterday too. I'm running the latest 4.03r7732 firmware. I did an update scan and got something like:

East midlands: 21 Services
East Midlands: 6 Services

I chose the 21 services one. Some of the channels gave "Service not available". The BBC services seemed in a right mess. The original ones were left alone, but now not working. New versions appeared in the 800 range and these were active. MrsA was not happy. So I ended up doing a full rescan. This put the right channels in the right places, but a number of them still gave the "Service not available message". Also none of the radio channels were working. Whilst in radio mode, did an update scan and this seemed to sort the radio channels. Went back to to TV mode and tried an update scan - no improvement on the non working channels. Did a manual scan on one of the specific muxes and this fixed it's channels. Tried another mux and it only resolved some of the channels. So I still don't get 5* for example. Didn't have enough time to investigate further so will look again tonight.

However, my ancient Digifusion FVRT200 rescanned and all channels are available and working. It managed to sort it out, but disappointingly the DS seems to be struggling. And there's another round of changes in a fortnight. Woo hoo.......!!

In comparison, channels come and go on Freesat and I don't have to do a thing. The Grundig (which is crappy in many respects) just presents the new channels or removes them, no interaction required (other than hiding new crud from the active channel list).

Hi

I mentioned for someone else there seems to be an anomaly where the field space for the number of channels is too small (or something!).

My box I had to choose the one with the smaller number to get them all - I think there was a dot showing ? My choice was made easier because the wrong one had a different Network Area to expected so I could choose the apparently smaller selection with more confidence.

You could try choosing the lower one and see ?

Also, if you are getting some channels from a MUX I would have thought you should get all from that MUX !

Cheers
Pete

"And there's another round of changes in a fortnight. Woo hoo.......!!"

Hopefully that will remove the anomalies we have at present as Mux B disappears then.

I'd suspect that a full rescan (auto or manual after a delete) is always best as it isn't just a case of new channels arriving on a mux but muxes changing channels.

Bob

I'd suspect that a full rescan (auto or manual after a delete) is always best as it isn't just a case of new channels arriving on a mux but muxes changing channels.

Bob

I thought the full rescan deleted all channels anyway. Are you suggesting that I manually delete all channels first, then do a full rescan?

Alternatively, I can delete all channels, then manually scan just the specific muxes.

The disappointment for me is that I'm technically savvy and this process is quite frankly rubbish. How would your average consumer cope? My parents would be stuffed if they had the DS. Just remember that my 6 year old Digifusion has retuned fine, no fiddling required. If there is some limit to number of channels, is this being fixed in the imminent software update.

I thought the full rescan deleted all channels anyway. Are you suggesting that I manually delete all channels first, then do a full rescan?

Alternatively, I can delete all channels, then manually scan just the specific muxes.

The disappointment for me is that I'm technically savvy and this process is quite frankly rubbish. How would your average consumer cope? My parents would be stuffed if they had the DS. Just remember that my 6 year old Digifusion has retuned fine, no fiddling required. If there is some limit to number of channels, is this being fixed in the imminent software update.

Hi

It is not a limit on channel numbers as such - When there is a requester to choose between two sets of channels the display field space seems to be just a bit too small to display the 3 digit number that I was getting so I got what appeared to be a small number and a dot - this may not be the same for you - it was just an idea.

I have just tried to replicate it to check my memory but the current atmospherics mean the extra network is not being detected here.

Cheers
Pete

ps. Pretty sure a full rescan should delete existing channels.

Last edited:

DHR-8205U 4.03r7732

I had the same. a pity it didn't name the transmitter or signal strengths for each option! I just chose the one with the most services.
Had to then rebuild the scheduled recordings. fortunately most of the immediate ones were BBC at the EPG had no programme details showing for ITV, C4 or C5

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom