1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Seven]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jemsea

jemsea Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

TV is Panasonic TX-37LZD800. TV off at the moment and we are just going out. Will try this later. Thanks.
  2. omega1

omega1 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Panasonic TV have their own auto switching arrangement for hdmi but only on hdmi1.
    I have had to use hdmi2 on my Panny to stop similar issues.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye Member

Ratings:
    +91
    The scart issue was one that I originally reported. The DS was toggling pin 8 of the scart connection (which I was using at the time) which meant that when the DS woke-up just before a recording, or at the end, just as it was shutting down I'd end-up with a blank screen for a few seconds. This I believe has been fixed, but I'm now using HDMI.

My experience on Panasonic panels is such that if a Panasonic device is connected to HDMI1 then all is well -- features like the Viera link can be used, for example. Just why the Panasonics are so picky when HDMI1 is used with non-Panasonic kit is something that perhaps needs to be reported to Panasonic as a bug to my mind -- it sounds like the interface standard is not being correctly implemented. My Sony TV has an affinity with HDMI1 in that with a Sony device I can use CEC, but that hasn't stopped me using non-Sony kit with the port.

Clem
  4. Ambiguosity

Ambiguosity Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ditto - on hdmi1 everything wakes up & switches the TV AV input when recordings start.

hdmi2 is a bit of a pain because the handshaking takes much longer, but better that than suddenly being switched away from what you were watching.
  5. Barry98

Barry98 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The BBC launched the BBC iPlayer to new connected TVs and set-top box receivers on 28th April.
    How long before MIT update the software?
    Impatient Barry
  6. jemsea

jemsea Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Problem solved. Many thanks.
    Did a trial run with DS switched off and a recording scheduled to start soon after. Lo and behold up powered the DS and tried to take over the TV.
    Tried it again with HDMI2 and no bullying by DS. All is well.
    :)
  7. IanS

IanS Member

Ratings:
    +68
    The firmware is already "iPlayer-ready" (the MHEG engine was upgraded in the November update), but from what has been posted by others (JeffD & petrev in particular) , the DTG have introduced a new specification/standard which all such PVRs must pass before the functionality can be switched on by the BBC. AIUI, with the updated firmware, the DS meets these specs but just needs to get approval by the DTG. DS are talking to the relevant bodes.

Then we would need the BBC to do what it needs to do ......

I'm happy to be corrected if I have that wrong
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  8. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Don't know what you're on about :confused: The software support is already built in, the delay is being caused by the BBC/DTG in allowing access to the streams.
  9. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    You've got it spot on :smashin:
  10. cundogg

cundogg New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi everyone. i have the digital stream dhr8203 box and was wondering if i would still need an optical cable running from the box to my av receiver to receive 5.1. I was going to run an optical cable from my tv to my av receiver instead to receive 5.1. my tv (lg60ps8000) has a dolby digital decoder built in. i was wondering if i did it this way would it cut out the need for a seperate optical cable for the digital stream box and a sky hd box? any help would be much appreciated
  11. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    Hi

You need an optical cable from the DHR for 5.1 from the DHR - You would also need optical from the TV if you want to watch TV with audio via AVR when you are watching something else !

Cheers
    Pete
  12. omega1

omega1 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    My Panasonic works quite happily with my sony Bluray but will not play ball with digitalstream.
  13. aboyes

aboyes Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have a few questions

Is is possible to identify clashes in the recordings before they occur in the pop up window?
    After a recorded programme is viewed mine loops it and plays it from the start again. Can I disable this?
    When I press stop on a recorded programme it takes me back to the TV rather than the guide. Can this be changed?

Thanks!
  14. donros

donros Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All.
    MIT rang me after I sent e-mail to them with the problem of E O M update.
    They arranged to collect my D S next day ,and its now sorted.
    Real good after sales service.

However I do wonder how people who have bought the D S,with no access to a computer (AV Forum) get to up -date their machines,they could be stuck in limbo.

My thanks to Jeff/Pete /Rip,for their help in trying to resolve my problem.
    Thank you.
    Donros
  15. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    Hi
    1. Not quite sure what you mean ? Before you hit Reserve ? Probably no is the answer.

2. Yes - Repeat Button on Remote. Press until the little Icon on the Transport Banner dissappears.

3. No. Asked for but not changed.

Cheers
    Pete
  16. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    I've numbered your questions in the above quote so my answers are:

1. No, as the clash will only happen when you try and schedule too many recordings at the same time.

2. Yes it can be disabled. Repeat is enabled by default, press info while playing back a recording and you should see a symbol far top right that's like a sidewards 8 (this is from memory so may not be 100% correct), this shows Repeat mode is enabled. To disable press the Repeat button on remote (bottom row of buttons on the left) and symbol should disappear???/grey out???.

3. No.

EDIT:
    *Beat me to it Pete* :D
  17. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    You both beat me to it :smashin:
  18. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup: For clarity of other users what exactly did MIT arrange?

Was it collection of your DS which they then upgraded and returned, so you were briefly without your PVR? or was it they sent out a updated DS then collected your DS in exchange?

Just asking in case someone needs to arrange something similar.
  19. donros

donros Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Jeff.
    M I T could not fix over phone,after Ie-mailed them with problem.
    Next day they rang to say my D S would be collected next day.
    I was without the D S for a couple of days,they did not do an exchange,
    Cheers Donros
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. gripupper

gripupper Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Having read so many moans about the noisy DS, I thought that a comment from a satisfied customer may be helpful to new readers. I bought the 500gb unit from John Lewis 3 weeks ago and set it up with some reservations expecting to hear a jumbo jet above the house. Nothing of the kind - it is just as quiet as the Sky HD box ie you have to put your ear close to the unit to hear the fan. The hard disc spins very quietly too.
    I am absolutely delighted with the DS in terms of picture quality and ease of use. The HD pictures are just the same as Sky ie cracking.
    I have also copied some MP3 tracks onto the hard disc and the sound quality is terrific. A little confusing as to how the file system works but well worth the effort to download music.
    Incidentally I have set up the Power Savings Mode to ON during the last week. It works a treat - switching on the DS 10 mins before a recording is due to start and also switches the unit off after the recording is finished. Magic!! Obviously this keeps the box quite cool, if not cold, most of the time and therefore does not call upon the fan to do its duty. No picture on the TV tuner of course when the DS is switched OFF but lets face who in their right mind would need to watch the TV with the DS turned off. The TV tuner kicks in of course via loopthrough when the DS is recording.

One question please? On the recent recordings of the programme " Sensitive" what does the the symbol white G in red circle signify in the descriptiion on the recorded list of progammes.
  21. professorhat

professorhat Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Hi gripupper

Glad to see another happy Digital Stream owner - hopefully another case to try and dispel this "all DS units have a noisy fan" myth that's being disseminated by some folk on these forums.

On the G symbol, this is mentioned on page 34 of the manual which says it's "Displayed on guidance programmes" - I assume this is a flag the broadcaster sets on certain programmes where parental guidance may be required e.g. for swearing, violence or nudity. The only programme I remember having it which I've recorded was Secret Diary of a Call Girl which I think fits into a couple of those categories :p
  22. Captainkremmen

Captainkremmen Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Welcome gripupper.

I have to agree, I too never hear the fan above normal or even low TV volumes and am another satisfied customer. Best PVR I've tried or owned to be honest. For me personally, it just works as it should which is a godsend compared o my previously owned Hitachi (Vestel) PVR, the Sagemcom and 3View unit a friend/uncle tried and the couple of other ones I played with before deciding on the DS.

There's one particular user over at Digital Spy who appears to have bought a DS with every problem ever reported. I guess some people have just been unlucky, if anyone has a unit that gives them problems and they have applied all the latest updates, get it replaced would be my advice.

I've seen the G symbol on only a few programmes, and a couple of films. It doesn't seem to be being used my most broadcasters though.
  23. Cathrin

Cathrin Member

Ratings:
    +6
    ....But has anyone really ever said that? I certainly haven't seen any posts claiming that all DS units have noisy fans. What's happened is that individual users have posted their own experiences, all of which are equally valid. The fact is that there have been some unlucky purchasers who got a noisy unit that ruined their viewing experience and had to be sent back. Their view shouldn't be dismissed as a "moan"; it's a valid reporting of a problem that deserves to be reported.

The people who had noisy fans (--and mine sounded like an angry bumble bee was trapped in the casing!--) :) described what they experienced, that's all. As far as I can see, nobody ever tried to claim that this problem was the case with all DS units, which would clearly not be true.

I'm genuinely glad that so many people have got noiseless units--that's good news--but it doesn't negate the experience of those who were unlucky enough to get a noisy unit.
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  24. professorhat

professorhat Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Hi Cathrin

My post wasn't directed in any way to the unfortunate people who did get Digital Stream units with noisy fans, so my apologies if you believed it was a criticism to yourself or anyone else who reported these issues - as you say, any issue like this needs to be reported, to keep all users of the forum informed.

To be honest, this post isn't really useful in this thread, as it's in the threads of other PVRs where people have expressed they are unhappy with that model for a number of reasons and are looking to exchange. In these threads, there have been quite a few comments that they would consider the Digital Stream but there is "the noisy fan issue" - these are getting more and more numerous, we're not just talking one or two comments, so this clearly demonstrates there has been some effort to spread a rumour that all / most / a lot of Digital Stream boxes have noisy fans, when it's been shown that it has actually only affected a small number of boxes and, in the cases where these have been replaced, this has mostly resulted in satisfactory outcomes.

As I say, my apologies for any criticism you may have felt was directed at yourself, but it really wasn't - it was more of a throwaway comment at the faceless people who, for reasons completely unknown to myself, like to spread baseless rumours and speculation until it becomes "fact". Future politicians no doubt :D
  25. KayCS

KayCS Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Hi Donros

My DS is coming upto its first birthday next week and its working without fault, well almost with just a odd tiny niggle but I have not found the need to update my box since, of the top of my head, last January.:smashin:

I am using the box as a recorder only as I have Freeview HD built into the TV.

So you can get by without updates, I just dont understand how some have trouble and others dont. Its got to be down to how the box is connected, what its connected too and how its used.;)

Chris
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Cathrin

Cathrin Member

Ratings:
    +6
    :) Hi professorhat; don't worry, no offence taken. :) I didn't think you were having a go at me. Obviously, if people are going around actively spreading rumours that the noisy fan issue is more widespread than it actually is, that's out of order and unhelpful. My concern was that those of us who have had a very valid problem with noisy fans have sometimes been dismissed as "just fussy" by some posters (...but not by yourself, I hasten to add! :)) ....Anyway, thanks for replying, and no bad feeling here. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. keithr59

keithr59 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I thought the noisy fan "issue" had been put to bed ages ago and that the affected users had sent their machines back to where they purchased them from and bought a different make of PVR.

Maybe the next time someone reports it they can post a link to an audio recording so that we can determine how bad the noise actually is.
  28. Cathrin

Cathrin Member

Ratings:
    +6
    But why? ....I'm not being funny, :) I'm genuinely intrigued to know why. Do you doubt that the noise is really as bad as we say it is?
  29. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Ok Cathrin enough is enough, yes you are entitled to have your say, but now I wonder why you feel it necessary to come onto this forum and once again carry on the debate. The Prof's comments were not aimed at you, so why would you think they were? You have now purchased a TVonics and it appears that you are very happy with it, ok fair enough, but so are many DS users happy with their choice of PVR, so please respect that.
    Keithr59 was not doubting your experience but was interested in what this so called noise sounded like ( I think you said like "a bee trapped inside" ).
    Cathrin, there have been quite a few new members who have joined this forum and we have not had the fan problem come up again. The simple solution in any case with anything that you buy is to get it replaced or a refund. I always believe in giving the manufacturers a second chance.
    Can we draw a line under this now because you have made your point :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. gaston

gaston Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had my PVR a couple of months and very pleased with it. The total space available seems to add up to 89% (used plus free). Is this normal or is part of the hard disk always unavailable?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.