Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Seven]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aboyes

aboyes Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I would just thank all the contributors to this thread. I got my DS last Thursday and absolutely love it and I'm really glad I invested in a decent Freeview HD PVR and cancelled Virgin Media.

It was a cinch to update the firmware and the menus and everything are so quick it really makes a mockery of Virgin V+ box. I also really like the Now and Next functionality so all my recorded programmes start on the dot.

Its not really a negative but the actual menu structure is obviously different to what I've been used to and some operations require a few more button presses but to be honest that's only a minor point. I've also noticed the fan is louder than the V+ box but I only notice it when I'm in the living room and the TV isn't on.

I did experience some audio clipping on the Dr Who BBC1HD broadcast on Saturday but not sure if that's just a Freeview issue or the DS box?

Anyway I really want an all in one remote and some sort of home cinema sound system now :)
  2. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    AUDIO Clipping - Limiter Issue - HD 5.1 Downmix

DS-K are in discussions with BBC/C4 and are attempting to get them to fix this issue.

There were some new D-Book specifications for Downmix Stereo to address the SD/HD level differences and the BBC/C4 introduced a new encoder with new problems from early March (!)

In the meantime DS-K are testing and will soon issue an interim patch on MIT that will address the Downmix issue - this will however mean that SD/HD levels are no longer the same.

A full fix and new D-Book spec compliance (Lo/Ro instead of Lt/Rt for Downmix Stereo) will be in the next full update release (all being well)

EDIT: Wikipedia Downmixing Downmixing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you currently use SPDIF (DD = ON) for HD 5.1 Audio then you may not want to apply the patch as you will not be suffering from the issue ! ! !

Cheers
    Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. pippin

pippin Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Blimey... quick action !!!
  4. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    :thumbsup:

4.11.r8430-FVU (27 Apr 2011) - 4.11.r8430-AudioPatch-FVU.zip

Just tried it out now and at least Audio wise seems a good one (that's all I've tested) - When in Stereo Downmix mode the Audio is slightly lower but not painfully so.

NOTE: this is an FVU but doesn't update the Micom as this was where the problems some people had seemed to be.
    Don't forget to run the new 4.11 Backup before FVU install (if you haven't already)

Cheers
    Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. aboyes

aboyes Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If I do this to I need to rescan and set up all my links and stuff again?
  6. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Hi

If you are already on 4.11 then just run the Backup Function

MENU > OTHERS > Maintenance :- Backup/Restore DB

Have your USB stick in the Front USB Port ready to receive the DB file.
    After FVU run Restore

In fact as this FVU doesn't Update the Micom you could use the Front USB Menu Method and this would update most things to the patched version - not sure if anything is not updated this way actually ! Copy all files to USB Stick and test it out if you are a bit adventurous (like me ! ! !)

e & o e
    No reponsibility etc.

:facepalm:
    Pete
  7. colino green

colino green Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for link. Will try this when I get home from work! This audio clipping issue fix finally means theres a compelling reason to upgrade from 4.03, now. :smashin:
  8. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Hi CG

:smashin:
    Do it as a Menu Update first so that you can run the Update Function before doing an FVU.

There's a FAQ on it I think . . .
    FAQ 30

Pete
  9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule Member

Ratings:
    +27
    That's amazing quick support from DS.

Mind you, it is a serious bug.

I've done all my updates using the front usb via menu fine anyway.

:clap:
  10. jfsebastian

jfsebastian Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Absolutely. MIT got in touch with me straight away too. If only other companies had the same commitment to providing proper after-sales support. Full marks to DS-K and MIT. :)
  11. Ayentaclu

Ayentaclu Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Got home to find C5 & ITV2 still recording from last night (both set for 9-10pm).
    Seems to be a weekly occurance now with these two programmes!
  12. colino green

colino green Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Done it. Followed your instructions in the FAQ link, Pete but was confused as there are only eight files in the latest Download zip and not the 10 that the FAQ suggest.

Also, the micom version still seems to be 1.30 even after the full back USB upgrade. Is this correct?
  13. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Hi

All perfectly fine.

Yes mentioned it a bit back that this FVU doesn't change the Micom (hence the fewer files).

If you leave out the 2 or 3 update(?).hex files then the Micom is not updated in any of the FVU.

I haven't managed to work out what extra is changed in an FVU with the Micom removed compared to an update via Menu ? ? ? The Micom can only be updated via FVU.

Cheers
    Pete
  14. colino green

colino green Member

Ratings:
    +10
    OK, thanks.

Unfortunately a big audio problem appears to have reared its head again now that the clipping has been fixed. Basically, before the clipping problem started a few weeks ago, you would have problems on recordings such as 'Being Human' on BBC HD and 'The Event' on C4 HD where the voice track would suddenly drop out completely so that all you can hear is the background music track. After todays firmware update I was watching 'The Event' quite happily until after the first break, I think. The voice track dropped completely, leaving the background music.... just like it was doing before the clipping problem.

I am tempted to put the previous firmware back on if possible just to see if the voice track drops with that one, even though of course the audio clipping will come back. Bloody annoying! :(

Can anyone else confirm that there was a voice audio drop out on C4 HD 'The Event' broadcast on Monday?:confused:
  15. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    STOP

That was reported on a couple of other threads - it is a known C4-HD FuK UP

They do it from time to time - Sweeny Todd Demon Barber was the last one I suffered from but there have been others. Normally it is for one whole section but once it was 2 sections. The Film/Program is in 5.1 but the adverts are 2.0 and someone forgets to switch something back when the adverts end ! ! !
    :suicide:

Not the DS at fault.

Cheers
    Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. colino green

colino green Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for letting us know. I presume C4 just don't care about this then if its happening repeatedly? :confused:
  17. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Apparently they say no one has ever complained before !

Could be true - I didn't bother as it was all over the threads at Christmas when it first happened and I just expected others would have reported it to C4.

It hasn't happened for quite a while now so I had assumed that they had put more robust procedures in operation (or decided to pay an engineer to be on duty at night rather than just having a job opportunity intern on !)

:facepalm:

Cheers
    Pete
  18. pippin

pippin Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I've applied the patch and watched "United" and "The Crimson and The White"

No dropouts but audio was considerably lower than normal. Had to ramp up the volume which resulted in very loud background music and still hard to hear voice track.

Hmmmmm.
  19. Ratchet

Ratchet Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent service from DS-K once again. :clap:

Now if only LG would even acknowledge the BBC HD audio problem....:thumbsdow
  20. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Hi

Just checked and the levels are exactly the same as good old 3.57 (IndyJ and Crystal Skull) as they are on the latest patch.

Can't find any old Jools to check if that old chestnut is back ?

Pete
  21. super gran

super gran Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm not planning to apply this latest patch at this time, problem only affects me on a tv which isn't used for its sound quality so I hadn't noticed it. Does this mean that it will be incorporated in a future full update, or apply now or forever lose it?
  22. super gran

super gran Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Wish I had kept my "old Jools" for testing any sound changes, but alas I deleted because the effect annoyed me too much. I thought at least they get repeated, just waiting for one of them to come up again.
  23. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Hi

When the BBC and C4 finally sort themselves out . . .

There will be an official patch in the next official update - The interim patch actually goes back to the DownMix method of 3.57 (Lt/Rt) but the latest revision of the D-Book specifies Lo/Ro method - see post up there somewhere. Lo/Ro was introduced in 4.02+ but then BBC/C4 changed encoders and the new problems started.

Looking at the Wiki spec for |Lo/Ro

it could well be to do with the expected level of the Ls and Rs and the consequential att. constant being applied.
    If the one applied by the DS and Humax DownMix algorithm is different to the levels currently applied by the Encoders then that could be the problem . . .

Cheers
    Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. pathfinder123

pathfinder123 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Installed the interim audio patch. So far things seem fine, no clipping.

MIT sure are a breath of fresh air in a smog of bad companies...

Many thanks to all those involved.

Stewart
  25. bobbins

bobbins Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is this always happening with the same channels and not ever with others? If so, you might want to check to see if you are receiving duplicates of the problem channels within the 800 channels. If there are duplicates you could try doing a manual retune so as to only receive the one set of all channels.

I had problems previously with the ITV (mux?) of channels not starting/ stopping recordings and the now and next banner not updating. This action appears to have rectified it.
  26. colino green

colino green Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Got the following reply to my complaint regarding the 'The Event' audio dropout from Mondays broadcast
    --------------------------------
    Dear Mr M-----,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding THE EVENT.

We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of this issue; however, we would like to assure you that we are not trying to encourage our viewers to watch SD broadcasts. We receive this programme from the production company in America and, unfortunately, technical errors can occur on occasion, both on SD and HD. It seems that there was an error on the master copy that was provided to us and we can assure you that we are looking into this issue.

Please be assured your complaints have been logged and noted for the information of those responsible for our programming.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us Mr M------. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

Veronica Way
    Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries
    ----------------------------

So, they are allegedly blaming the american production company. :confused: If there is an HD repeat then I am going to record it again and see if the problem happens again. If it doesn't then this is BS!
  27. ph0b0s

ph0b0s New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got one of these. Very dumb / easy question, but is it normal for the box to take a while to go in and out of standby? I'm not using low power saving standby. This is my first PVR box, but all previous digi boxes I have used are pretty instant to go in and out of standby. Obviously with cold power on, any box needs to boot.

My Digtial stream DHR8205 takes about 30 second to go to sleep (pressing remote power button, when watching live tv) with the bye message before showing the clock and 20 odd second to come out of standby with loading showing. Don't know if this is normal or not. Have the latests 4.11 firmware installed.
  28. Captainkremmen

Captainkremmen Member

Ratings:
    +69
    PVRs, especially the newer ones, do take a bit longer to go into and come out of standby. They are essentially Linux computers and have to go through a power up, starting the hard drive, loading the operating system and reading data such as any EPG info stored. There's also the HDMI handshaking, where the box negotiates with your TV which adds to the time before a picture is displayed.

An ordinary Freeview receiver doesn't have much to do other than load the OS and EPG data in comparison (although HDMI handshaking might also be required on those boxes with an HDMI output).
  29. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +953
    Total Bull***t
  30. algieuk

algieuk Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Interesting that when I recorded this at the same transmission time on freesat HD there was no problem with the sound. (I live in Wales so don't get Channel 4 HD on Freeview here)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.