1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Eleven]

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by Gavtech, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greyrider

greyrider Member

Ratings:
    +15
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will have a good look at this. I have more processing power on the desktop so this may be the solution.
    I think I'll hold off further conversion of legacy recordings until someone responds to my first post. It now looks as if I'm still missing the top two multiplexes after half a dozen rescans. It would be just my luck if if I had the only Freeview HD box which won't function after DSO.
  3. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Where is your location and what transmitter are you on?
  4. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hastings and Hastings.
    I actually had France 24 on when I started the first retune.
    Some attempts have failed to bring in Multiplex 2.
    I had been wondering what part is broadcast and which part delivered over broadband. Iplayer is fine. I've just upgraded to ADSL2+ and my line is being "retrained".
  5. petrev

petrev Active Member

Ratings:
    +943
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies. It does seem to be my HDMI lead. I had no idea this could affect reception.
    I now have all the multiplexes, but it seems I can only use the Scart for the top end of the band until I replace it.
    Now all I have to do is wait for Vision TV to sort out the audio and hopefully redesign their front end.
    Not being able to timeshift or even pause is a step back into the dark ages.
  7. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,165
    There is a fair amount of experience of this problem on the forum... but you do need to be warned not to fall into the trap of thinking that buying an expensive HDMI lead is a solution.

Experience has shown that expensive leads are just as prone to suffer from this problem as cheap leads.
    No one has found the definitive causal reason for this problem to my knowledge.

The recommended remedy is to replace with the cheapest lead you can find.
    More often than not this provides a remedy ... and if it does not, little is lost.

Additionally, keep the RF and HDMI leads as physically separated as is practical.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mark247

Mark247 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I had this problem, I just scanned using scart only. Having received all channels I then removed the scart and re-connected the same HDMI cable but re-routing it as far apart as possible from the RF cable and have had no problems since.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Owleen

Owleen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Is there a size limit on DGU+ file transfers?

I wanted to transfer the F1 GP highlights which is 4.4GB on the DS, but when I view it on my laptop it's only 400mb and 11mins long :eek:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  10. greyrider

greyrider Member

Ratings:
    +15
    No, but perhaps your laptop timed out before the transfer was complete? Have you checked the original file on the DS?
  11. Magpie5212

Magpie5212 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed this before on recordings. Look at the file from the pc and it is smaller than the listing on the pvr.
  12. dx30

dx30 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    It does sound suspiciously like like a 4GB (32bit) problem. Do you know what OS the laptop is running and what disk format it uses? e.g. a FAT or FAT32 disk cannot store files as big as 4.4GB.
  13. davidgu

davidgu Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I don't think it's a 4GB problem - if so, I'd expect the PC to truncate the file at 4GB, not 400MB.

Does the PC report the file size on the mounted share correctly?

How long does it take to copy the file from the DS to the PC? For 4.4GB I'd expect at least 7.5 minutes at best, and possibly over half an hour (depending on your local network performance and the PC performance).

Also, remember that the DS needs to remain powered during this time - if you put it into standby the transfer will terminate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. dx30

dx30 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    That doesn't always happen.

If the size is stored in a 32 bit variable then you lose the excess top bits so 0x120000000 (4.4GB) becomes 0x20000000 (400MB). The transfer program then only tries to write the 400MB.

The case you describe (truncation to 4GB) typically happens when the transfer program gets the size right and attempts to write 4.4GB, but the file system stops when it hits 4GB.
  15. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My last few transfers from Topfield to PC via USB failed, albeit after 0k. I don't think there were obvious illegal characters in the filenames. I wonder if there might be some subtle form of copyright protection on recent SD files.
    Has anyone actually managed to identify programmes in the Radio Times equivalent and just switch on and watch in Vision IPTV, either on the DHR or another device?
    I'd forgotten that I'd previously changed the HDMI input after apparent handshaking issues with the Samsung Series 5 which could only be resolved after a hard reset. After crashes on different hdmi leads/inputs during "Souvenirs Perdus" last night on FR3 I have decided to leave it on scart for a week and see how it works out. I'd assumed that "Service unavailable" meant there were issues at the Vision IPTV end and that they would be "working on it".
    Not sure if there is a specific thread for Vision IPTV users. There is a forum on their website which doesn't seem particularly lively or independent. They didn't reply to my query about registration which didn't inspire confidence in their support. Fortunately I found a way around the broken link. Sadly, since neither relocation nor an 80cm dish is an option I'm dependent on them.
  16. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Seen a disturbing report on another forum that suggest there maybe an undocumented change in behaviour for chase play in latest software.

Previously if you started to chase play a recording on a commercial channel and skipped the ad's meaning you catched up with live before the recording is finished then the DS would exit back to the previously tuned live channel.

So scenario would be:

1. Watching BBC1

2. Recording start on ITV1

3. When still tuned on BBC1, after 10 min enter Media & start watching ITV1 recording

4. Skip ad's or fast forward until end of recording is reached, DS should automatically exit chase play and revert back to live, in this case BBC1 as the last live tuned in channel.

However I've seen reports that suggest at step 4 it now exits back to the Media screen with BBC1 live in background, meaning extra steps being introduced to continue watching what you were recording.

Is there anyone at home today who could test?
  17. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Tried to help, but not sure how things worked previously and PC on same screen.
    If I press stop it goes back to BBC1, but I see I didn't reach the end of the recording. Does this help?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Thanks for trying, not quite what I wanted, I've edited the above if you want to give it another go. I'll try for myself tonight anyway.
  19. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Hi Jeff,

No problems with my test both on SD and HD, returned to BBC on both and not to MEDIA.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Thanks :smashin: I thought it wouldn't have changed, but a guy on another forum was adamant it goes back to Media, just wanted to be sure I haven't watched anything while chase playing since the latest update. I'll double check tonight for my own sanity as well.
  21. rip82

rip82 Member

Ratings:
    +124
    Hi Jeff,
    By all means, two heads are better than one, SG needs a rest anyway so lets hope there isn't a bug. ;)
  22. Owleen

Owleen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I checked the file on the DS and it's all there - 2hrs @ 4.4GB

Laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit), NTFS

When I right click and view the properties, the size of the file is 398MB in the HDD1 vs 4.4GB on the DS, transfer to laptop was under a minute.
  23. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry I didn't get you the first time, but I don't do this too often and I haven't tried it on the DHR.
    I now have a fifteen minute recording of something called Loose Women, including an interesting marker in the top right corner prior to the commercial break. If I fast forward to the end (which seems like a good idea) it restarts at the beginning, which seems an odd behaviour. I would expect it to go back to BBC1 or Media.
  24. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Ah, you've got repeat on. When watching a recording press Info and you should see a circle like symbol on the top right hand side with either a 1 or A in the middle, see attachment below.

On remote is a Repeat button, press to toggle between modes with no symbol being Repeat off.

Thanks again for your efforts but still not quite what I was after, not far off home time for me so I'll take a look myself in a bit.

Attached Files:

25. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Glad to (try and) help another worrier.
    I like the way users on this forum are friendly and polite even to someone who may have missed an FAQ.
    It looks as if I may be out of luck in failing (so far) to make contact with other users of Vision TV, because everyone else watches ITV and Formula One. Another great ambition I have failed to cross off the list.
  26. exlibris

exlibris Member

Ratings:
    +1
    And you're right, I did have repeat on, apparently by accident.
  27. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Your efforts have been of some help then :thumbsup:
  28. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Just tested and get the same as you, so it's still operating as it always has, so got no idea what the bloke on the other site was going on about. Just wanted to be 100% sure before heading back and saying he's wrong. Thanks again for checking :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. tootall

tootall Member

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks Pete, i see the difference now :) plus the red 'record' dot too so am running all ok, apart from i can no longer just scroll between tv and radio when using the guide, i have to func+ into radio then choose the channel i want instead of just being able to press 702 for example to get radio 2 during normal use. i have done a full re-scan, removed any duplicated stations etc, even set a favourite channel with everything checked and copied across
    i know this is just going to be a check box somewhere but am b******d if i can find it lol

cheers
  30. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    What are you trying to find? :confused:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.