Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Eleven]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a portable USB drive with a M4V files on it, I am trying to play this on the PVR however it shows the folder but its contents are showing as empty. When I copy the folder over to the PVR harddrive it shows both the folder and actual file being copied but again shows blank folder when trying to access.

Help! is it because they are m4v :confused:

Hi,

I have a portable USB drive with a M4V files on it, I am trying to play this on the PVR however it shows the folder but its contents are showing as empty. When I copy the folder over to the PVR harddrive it shows both the folder and actual file being copied but again shows blank folder when trying to access.

Yes - M4V is not supported - Only AVI (DivX/Xvid)

You will have to run any M4V through a converter to change them to AVI
How To - Convert Video Files to DivX/XviD AVI Format for the Digital Stream - DigitalStreamPVR

Pete

Last edited:
Hi,

From the FAQ -

AVI files must XVid or DivX format and named in the form yourfilename.avi or .AVI

If you want to convert the files into a viewable format have a read of the FAQ thread here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pvrs...-dhr-8205-faq-thread-dhr-8203u-dhr-8206u.html

Last edited:
Apologies for not looking in faq, and many thanks

does that mean then pete that Wiki will or indeed does - super-cede the fax pages linked to ur sig ?

does that mean then pete that Wiki will or indeed does - super-cede the fax pages linked to ur sig ?

Hi

I link to both - The FAQ thread is more a historical record now as the Wiki should have all the existing FAQs and it's all in an easier to use structured form. Any new info is being added there as the primary reference point.

Pete

I too am experiencing a similar, if not quite as extreme, problem. My DS is connected to the router via a pair of homeplugs. Almost without fail, after about 45 minutes of flawless iPlayer running, the screen freezes and the buffering circle appears. But the iPlayer doesn't pick up, it just freezes.

I have to exit the iPlayer and restart the programme I was watching.

I've been in touch with my ISPs helpline, thinking it was my internet connection that was the problem, but now I'm not sure. Maybe there is some timer issue in the DS that is causing these glitches???

Getting the exact same thing. Except it's after 55mins with mine.

Done it 3 times on High Quality programmes. I'll try a normal version next.
Homeplugs too.

Also...

Anyone been playing with the ConnectTV on channels 110,111,112 etc?
France24 and others?

Actually works quite well except I'm getting an audio dropout of about half a second every 20secs or so. Picture unaffected so I assume it can't be a network issue.
Anyone else?

I have been suffering from a noisy fan since switching to the latest firmware upgrade, though as no one else has mentioned it, it is probably just a coincidence. As Petrev suggested a few weeks ago, I changed the fan for a Rasurbo Quiet Cooling fan - it made little difference. I remembered that I had some 'rubber' mounts left over from silencing my PC similar to these Acousti Ultra-Soft Arrowhead Fan Mounts AFM02B. Once fitted the fan is almost silent.

Also...

Anyone been playing with the ConnectTV on channels 110,111,112 etc?
France24 and others?

Actually works quite well except I'm getting an audio dropout of about half a second every 20secs or so. Picture unaffected so I assume it can't be a network issue.
Anyone else?

Hi

As far as I can tell it is a Network/stream issue combined with the DTG D-Book specification of only a small buffer.

I have got a link to the web stream for France24 and have watched it along side the 110 DHR stream and it starts at 10 seconds ahead on VLC but drops frames and loses time so that it is gradually getting later until it moves from being ahead to being behind the 110 stream. The DHR is having to keep resyncing the audio with the video to keep sync with the realtime feed - The VLC rendered version just keeps getting further back until it eventually just stops the video entirely.

ConnectTV have been given a DHR to explore this issue but I have no news of any progress.

Pete

I have been suffering from a noisy fan since switching to the latest firmware upgrade, though as no one else has mentioned it, it is probably just a coincidence. As Petrev suggested a few weeks ago, I changed the fan for a Rasurbo Quiet Cooling fan - it made little difference. I remembered that I had some 'rubber' mounts left over from silencing my PC similar to these Acousti Ultra-Soft Arrowhead Fan Mounts AFM02B. Once fitted the fan is almost silent.

Hi

The Rasurbo is marginally quieter than the standard fan unless you have a very noisy failed unit (which is what I think we were talking about at the time) in which case it is a good replacement.

The rubber mounts I tried were the ones you link to and have a similar effect to loosening the screws in that they move the fan away from the pressed steel grill thus reducing swoosh noise. They may also help with case resonance/coupling noises if you are getting those !

Pete

I have just retuned and lost VisionIPTV on 110 and Film 4, which I suspect are on the same multiplex.
I haven't managed to watch anything on Film 4 and Telefrance has been unreliable since I signed up.
The retune stops at 62 services, which may be significant. I have tried deleting the useless channels and scanning manually to no avail.
This is a bit disappointing as I only got the DHR a few weeks ago.

Hi -
Excuse me if I'm being dreadfully dense. But attempting to connect my Macbook (os10.6.8) to the DS using DGU+ constantly errors out due to no Guest access and a lack of username and password. I see from post #14 that I just need to add an extra line in somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find the file smb.conf that I have to amend. All I have in the DGU+ folder of a similar name is smb.comf.5.html?
Thanks

Hi -
Excuse me if I'm being dreadfully dense. But attempting to connect my Macbook (os10.6.8) to the DS using DGU+ constantly errors out due to no Guest access and a lack of username and password. I see from post #14 that I just need to add an extra line in somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find the file smb.conf that I have to amend. All I have in the DGU+ folder of a similar name is smb.comf.5.html?
Thanks

The smb.conf file is accessible in its own share on the DS ... which means you need a working connection to Samba first in order to change it.

If you have (or can beg or borrow) a Windows PC, connect to the DS using that and then edit the smb.conf file in the "sambalib" share accordingly.

DGU+ just works - brilliantly - with the Ubuntu desktop and the XP netbook I have to use for editing/conversion. I've given up on the Mac which seems to be very sensitive to permissions, and won't always read/write from an external hdd.
The only file which needs to be on the USB stick is the .ext.
Incidentally I have found it takes hours to convert to from .ts or .rec. using Freemake. I do wish it would read these formats directly.
And I have tried unblocking adverts for this site but it isn't sticking. Perhaps I should use another browser for posting.

Thanks. I'm sure I tried this (and everything else), but I will have another go when I've finished this batch.
Freemake seems to get the codecs right for the DHR but I'm not sure about the quality on the files I've reviewed. The motion seems a bit uneven.

Oops.. 2.5.4 seems to have made a mess of the .rec. Fortunately I have a .ts I made earlier.

I will have a good look at this. I have more processing power on the desktop so this may be the solution.
I think I'll hold off further conversion of legacy recordings until someone responds to my first post. It now looks as if I'm still missing the top two multiplexes after half a dozen rescans. It would be just my luck if if I had the only Freeview HD box which won't function after DSO.

I will have a good look at this. I have more processing power on the desktop so this may be the solution.
I think I'll hold off further conversion of legacy recordings until someone responds to my first post. It now looks as if I'm still missing the top two multiplexes after half a dozen rescans. It would be just my luck if if I had the only Freeview HD box which won't function after DSO.

Where is your location and what transmitter are you on?

Hastings and Hastings.
I actually had France 24 on when I started the first retune.
Some attempts have failed to bring in Multiplex 2.
I had been wondering what part is broadcast and which part delivered over broadband. Iplayer is fine. I've just upgraded to ADSL2+ and my line is being "retrained".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom