Digital Stream DHR-8203/5U HD-PVR Master thread - [Part Eleven]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The first blank response was probably an auto responder that should have added a "Thanks, we'll get back to you soon" message.

You are getting technical support direct from Korea by the sound of it - they are the experts.

I would doubt the Micom was the problem but ????
You can revert to 1.33 again if there is no improvement.

My guess as to the problem would be an HDD issue.

Yep, I'm fairly certain that's what it is too. I must admit to being tempted to bung in another HDD, but will probably try the Micom anyway - 16 month old grandson is with us today and he spotted me switching channels via the front panel earlier. Two minutes later and we were no longer watching the news, but something completely different, and then something else, and then something else and then I thought, "hmm, maybe that Micom 1.35 could prove useful after all". So I did.

Hi:hiya:

I think we have come to the conclusion that the broadcasters mucked up the EPG around about 10-00pm on Tuesday night that caused over runs with recordings and failed recordings.

This caused my DS to miss its first recording in nearly two years.:thumbsdow

Well we hope it was the broadcasters as it just happened to have coincided with local networking stuff being applied to my DS and my finger is still pointing at the broadcasters.

Chris
Yes, this issue is unlikely to be DS related, as it also affected the Humax boxes.

Yep - Random and rare Non-Stop issue.

Fixed in 4.13+ and yes you can just do a Front-USB Menu Method Application Only Update straight to any FW you desire.

Just copy only the update.tgz and update.md5 files from the MIT Download or use the appropriate AO Download from the Wiki.

You can use all the 8 files from the MIT download but you needlessly overwrite unchanged files that way - Not really a problem either way.

Pete

Thanks for the reply all updated will see how it goes :)

Not sure I'm a fan of the new progress bar looks like some Ametuer knocked it up in Photoshop in comparison to the quality of the rest of the skin

Hi:hiya:

I think we have come to the conclusion that the broadcasters mucked up the EPG around about 10-00pm on Tuesday night that caused over runs with recordings and failed recordings.

This caused my DS to miss its first recording in nearly two years.:thumbsdow

Well we hope it was the broadcasters as it just happened to have coincided with local networking stuff being applied to my DS and my finger is still pointing at the broadcasters.

Chris

Yes I know I commented on this the other day as I noted that now and next failed to switch correctly when the program changed so displayed the previous program details however the problem I'm referring to existed before Tuesday and was obviously a problem on earlier firmware hence a fix in 4.13

Not sure I'm a fan of the new progress bar looks like some Ametuer knocked it up in Photoshop in comparison to the quality of the rest of the skin

Yes I know I commented on this the other day as I noted that now and next failed to switch correctly when the program changed so displayed the previous program details however the problem I'm referring to existed before Tuesday and was obviously a problem on earlier firmware hence a fix in 4.13

Hi

Each to their own ! Most seem to prefer the new look Transport Banner - I do.

Yes, 2 different things - A broadcaster issue happened before on all C4 group channels one evening, when the Now Info failed to update until 06:00 the next day !

Pete

Not sure I'm a fan of the new progress bar looks like some Ametuer knocked it up in Photoshop in comparison to the quality of the rest of the skin[/B]

Your comment regarding the new progress bar was a bit harsh, but having said that, you are entitled to your opinion. Yours is the first negative response so far. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lip Sync
This is the first time I have noticed it. I recorded Whitechapel in HD this week and had a lipsync isisue. Has anyone else had the problem? I have a new (Panny 42GBT30) which replaced my Pioneer XDE435. What with the new DS firmware and the new TV I am loathe to point an accusing finger. Comments!
Barry

Lip Sync
This is the first time I have noticed it. I recorded Whitechapel in HD this week and had a lipsync isisue. Has anyone else had the problem? I have a new (Panny 42GBT30) which replaced my Pioneer XDE435. What with the new DS firmware and the new TV I am loathe to point an accusing finger. Comments!
Barry
Whitechapel is on ITV, not much more need be said other than ITV-HD has crap lip sync.

Each to their own ! Most seem to prefer the new look Transport Banner - I do.
Agreed, much prefer the new look :smashin: In fact I've said to them I'd like the same look on the Info Banner as well for consistency.

Agreed, much prefer the new look :smashin: In fact I've said to them I'd like the same look on the Info Banner as well for consistency.

Same here.

davidgu said:
I'll take a look ... if it seems to be transparent to everything else then I'll put it in the standard config. It's strange though, as there should be no password exchanged as it's guest access with no password!

That's by design in v1.0 ... otherwise Samba would keep the hard disk spinning and your power consumption would be just about the same as when fully on.

If it's in the rear USB port, the DS will be spotting the firmware upgrade files at power on and trying to do another firmware upgrade. Either use a front USB port, or remove the firmware upgrade files.

Thanks. The guest/password thing appears to be a known problem. Is a bit counter-intuitive.

Re. The lost connection, I probably wasn't clear - I meant it dropped the DHCP connection to the router and wouldn't renew unless I rebooted. The good news is that after being on standby all day it's all restarted nicely. I think it was objecting to being fiddled with so early n the morning...

As for the USB, it is in the front port. Haven't rebooted to see if the problem recurs, but will move the update files off in any case.

Thanks for your work on this, by the way. Great stuff!

Hi

Actually WMP will play TRP files directly -

- Right Click > Play
- Open > Choose a program from a list ...
- Choose > Media Player
- Tick box to always use this program (option)
- Choose Yes : Try to play anyway when it says Extension not recognised .... and tick Don't ask me again (option)

Plays fine and is associated for future Double Click access.

VLC plays fine but uses quite a bit of processor power if you have an older/slower laptop say.

Splash Lite has the lowest processor overhead but won't play from filetype association so have to use Open File Dialog and All Files option.

DLNA Servers

Serviio is TRP aware and seen by my Sony TV and BDP but won't play SD for some unknown reason.

TVersity, FUPPES and Serviio all play fine to the DPS-1000.

TVersity and FUPPES are not recognised by SONY !

FUPPES needs and extra config statement - Copy+Paste the MP4 entry but change the filetype to TRP (and again similarly for TS support)

Mezzmo works with Sony Bravia 2010+ but not my BDP S370 ????

Pete

Just realised that XBMC will play it when renamed as .mpg - no problem.

Thanks Dave

Just realised that XBMC will play it when renamed as .mpg - no problem.

Thanks Dave

Yes but you can also forget about having to rename files if you create and insert an entry in

advancedsettings.xml

add in:
Code:

<advancedsettings>
<videoextensions>
<add>.trp</add>
</videoextensions>
</advancedsettings>

see here for where to find/create the .xml
userdata/advancedsettings.xml - XBMC

Sorry I have kind of forgotten about XBMC as it doesn't do what I want as a DLNA Server and Splash Lite is better for low overhead playback. Great for many other reasons though.

Pete

Last edited:
...Once in a blue moon my DHR will slow down response wise and this is the first symptom that the HDD control has got in a pickle and is reading and writing all over the place - If at this stage I don't standby cycle or stop doing any jumps and skips or FFWD etc. then the box will probably lock fully and then do a mini re-boot.

If yours is doing this all the time then my guess would be HDD fault or controller issue - but I am no expert !
Micom change hasn't helped, and it definitely locks and reboots when using fast forward etc, although not every time - once a day is enough!
I meant to ask, and as the hardware section of the Wiki is still in progress, any suggestions for a replacement HDD? I don't want a massively huge one, tending to watch and delete rather than archive. Thanks again.

I meant to ask, and as the hardware section of the Wiki is still in progress, any suggestions for a replacement HDD? I don't want a massively huge one, tending to watch and delete rather than archive. Thanks again.
DS uses Western Digital AV drives, see WD AV-GP, but any AV drive should do.

Good luck in finding a decent deal at the moment the way HDD prices have gone since the Thailand floods.

I have fitted a Western Digital WD5000AADS to mine after the original WD5000AVDS failed.

My HD reception has always been hit or miss from Crystal Palace as was right on the edge of the coverage map (Penn, Bucks). But having checked the map again (Freeview on Crystal Palace TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice) coverage has now increased way past High Wycombe but I'm not getting any reception at all (I'm on C31 at 554000).

Any suggestions or is it simply a matter of waiting until they increase power next month?

Thanks,
Richard

Micom change hasn't helped, and it definitely locks and reboots when using fast forward etc, although not every time - once a day is enough!

Hi

As said WD are used by DST but they also certified the Seagate Pipeline 500GB AV drive ST3500312CS
Pipeline HD® Hard Drives | Seagate
and I use that as it is marginally quieter "Head Seeking" tick noise wise. 500GB is a single platter drive. 1TB + are 2 platter or more ?

My vote :smashin:
ST3500312CS
£72 on Amazon
£72-113 Marketplace listing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ST3500312CS-Seagate-Pipeline-500GB-Drive/dp/B002GTXVUE

Do NOT use the Seagate 1TB as I have destroyed 2 of them in the DHR !!!!

New 1.5 and 2TB Seagate are the same model number family as the 1TB and I have no knowledge of how they perform

Non AV drives are not advised.

Pete

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
My HD reception has always been hit or miss from Crystal Palace as was right on the edge of the coverage map (Penn, Bucks). But having checked the map again (Freeview on Crystal Palace TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice) coverage has now increased way past High Wycombe but I’m not getting any reception at all (I'm on C31 at 554000).

Any suggestions or is it simply a matter of waiting until they increase power next month?

Thanks,
Richard

Hi

Try re-routing the HDMI and try the JeffD trick of checking HD reception with just a SCART lead connection and the HDMI completely removed both ends !

Pete

Do NOT use the Seagate 1TB as I have destroyed 2 of them in the DHR !!!!

Interesting.
What was the nature of the failure mode?.. and the same in both cases?

Interesting.
What was the nature of the failure mode?.. and the same in both cases?

Hi Gav

The drive starts making major chugging/ticking/clanking/plinking noises - usually while recording a couple of things and playing a third.

Seems the controller can get in quite a state on apparently random and thankfully rare occasions and with the WD AV500, and even less frequently with the Seagate Pipeline 500, the system will stop Timeshift, if that is an option, or does a mini reboot, and starts again fresh !

With the 1TB I didn't catch this happening until the noises were pretty extreme and by that time there was some platter damage according to Seatools. I sent the drive back under warranty and the replacement was a refurb that seemed to hate things even more and did the same pretty quickly (within a week) so it went for exchange and the 3rd drive is now in an external case.

The 1TB is supposed to work but at least in my testing it doesn't like the violent head movements that seem to be demanded on occasion ! I have also seen reports of the HUMAX HDR 1TB with this drive sometimes being noisy. Though other people say not, so either personal hearing/positional differences or drive tolerance differences maybe.

The single platter 500GB is wonderfully quiet and "tick" free.

Pete

Last edited:
My HD reception has always been hit or miss from Crystal Palace as was right on the edge of the coverage map (Penn, Bucks). But having checked the map again (Freeview on Crystal Palace TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent free digital TV advice) coverage has now increased way past High Wycombe but I’m not getting any reception at all (I'm on C31 at 554000).

Thanks,
Richard
Hi Richard,

For what it's worth a friend who resides in Stokenchurch picks up all HD channels without a problem and he is right on the edge of the CP reception area. That is with a loft aerial as well so I would definitely check your setup or do a manual retune of Ch31 perhaps? Of course come mid April the signal will be increased and reception should improve :smashin:

Hi, you need a DHCP server somewhere to give out addresses - this is normally your internet router.

If you have DHCP enabled on both the DS and your laptop, then you won't be able to connect them together with a crossover cable because each device will expect the other one to give it an address, so both will do nothing. Try connecting both devices to your internet router with their own cables.

If that isn't possible, then you'd have to give each device a different static IP address, but make sure they don't clash with anything - e.g. with any addresses on your wireless network your laptop is connected to, for example.

I finally got it working last night, thanks :thumbsup:

Does anybody know of any free software that will allow me to cut and trim the recordings?

I finally got it working last night, thanks :thumbsup:

Does anybody know of any free software that will allow me to cut and trim the recordings?

I've used MpegStreamClip for my quick editing needs. As I've only just got the network access working, I've not tried it yet, but it has worked on most files I've thrown at it before.

The version I have is for OS X (Mac), I'm not sure if it is available for other platforms.

Just checked, this from their website: MPEG Streamclip is a powerful free video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows.

However, you may need the MPEG-2 quicktime files from Apple. On opening a file from the DS I get this: The Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is not installed... An option is to convert the file if possible using HandBrake, then edit it using StreamClip, but that seems a bit of a faff.

Last edited:
ok guys got a new problem now I've changed to 4.14 :rolleyes:

When anything is set to record the box is now powering itself on fully and staying on even when it stops recording previously it would just display REC on the front panel then just go back into standby when finished

Any thoughts?

I use a paid version of Nero for all my video stuff these days but before I did “Freemaker Video Converter” was my button of choice.

It can convert allsorts including HDTV to Blu-Ray and has an editor built in.

The down fall is the encryption on Freeview HD so for converting stuff from the DS it’s SD only.

Chris

Link for Freemake Video Converter

Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom