1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Direct

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Big Stan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Wull

Wull Active Member

Ratings:
    +448
    That stinks BigStan
  2. RichB86

RichB86 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ahh, I'm glad I googled them now! I certainly won't be ordering anything from them then! they're quite a bit cheaper than some for the amp I'm looking at but it isnt worth the risk looking at this thread.
  3. Zedferret

Zedferret Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. They are back trading again (Digital Direct) like nothing ever happened. People should go to jail for this type of theft or fraud, but they never seem to. The company took all my money, went bankrupt, changed the holding company's name and went back into business. Shameful.
  4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,818
    What happened as far as you can make out?

The current website has
    [​IMG]

Digital Direct GB Ltd is still listed on Companies House as being registered in 2002. Doesn't matter if they have a new parent; unless they change the company registered number, it is still the same legal entity. They can even change the name of Digital Direct if they wanted:- it's the registered number that is the key. If the new "owners" do not change the registered number, they will have liability for the debts. And a company cannot pass itself off as another, so if they have changed numbers, they cannot pass themselves off as Digital Direct GB Ltd. (assuming Companies House Web site is current and correct).
  5. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    In view of the serious allegations that you are making one has to ask if you know for a fact that the sequence of events is as you have described or are you just guessing
  6. paulroberts

paulroberts Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I must admit I do find the arrangement a bit confusing. From the administrators letter I received I got the impression that Digital Direct (GB) Ltd. is just a "trading style", and the actual name of the company was VBA Ltd.

However I also noticed that Digital Direct (GB) Ltd. is listed on the companies house web site....

Name & Registered Office:
    DIGITAL DIRECT (GB) LIMITED
    19 MATHER STREET, KEARSLEY
    BOLTON
    LANCS
    BL4 8AT
    Company No. 04602745

Date of Incorporation: 27/11/2002

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company
    Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
    7499 - Non-trading company

Accounting Reference Date: 31/05
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/05/2009 (DORMANT)
    Next Accounts Due: 28/02/2011
    Last Return Made Up To: 27/11/2009
    Next Return Due: 25/12/2010

Last Members List: 27/11/2009

The letter I received stated that VBA Ltd. had gone into administration and companies house confirm this:

VBA LIMITED
    44 HIGHER MARKET STREET
    FARNWORTH
    BOLTON
    LANCASHIRE
    BL4 9BB
    Company No. 03295373

Date of Incorporation: 20/12/1996

5245 - Retail electric h'hold, etc. goods

Accounting Reference Date: 31/05
    Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/05/2008 (MEDIUM)
    Next Accounts Due: 28/02/2010 OVERDUE
    Last Return Made Up To: 20/12/2009
    Next Return Due: 17/01/2011

Last Members List: 20/12/2009

The letter also stated that all it's assets had been purchased by a company called Elitemark Ltd. but that they weren't liable for any previous orders or deposits. When I called Digital Direct (I actually got through for once) I was told my order would not be fulfilled and to register a chargeback with my credit card company to get my deposit back as they weren't liable (which I had already done anyway).

Look how new this company is:

ELITEMARK LIMITED
    CARLYLE HOUSE 78
    CHORLEY NEW ROAD
    BOLTON
    LANCASHIRE
    BL1 4BY
    Company No. 07233907

Date of Incorporation: 23/04/2010

None Supplied

Accounting Reference Date: 30/04
    Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
    Next Accounts Due: 23/01/2012
    Last Return Made Up To:

According to the letter I received from the administrators, Elitemark Ltd. has the same directors as VBA Ltd. So you can infer from that whatever you want.

It seems as though the legal "owner" of the business has technically changed (although run by the same people) but that the name Digital Direct (GB) Ltd. is still being used as a "trading style". What I don't understand is why it is listed on companies house. Maybe it's just a shell company.

Either way, it does seem as though the company has been brought back to life by the same directors without regard to any previous liabilities. I remember seeing people doing things like this on "That's Life", "Rogue Traders" and "Watchdog" etc. and while it appears to be legal it does appear to be a bit immoral.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    One cannot use "limited" in the trading style if that is not the name of the company as that is misleading.

It is not illegal for the directors of a failed company to buy the assets from the Administrator and set up again but if they have acted unlawfully in the running of the previous company the Administrator may consider forwarding the details to the appropriate authorities for prosecution.
  8. Big Stan

Big Stan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    If any one wants hard evidence of there specific trading practices then I have a PJ that was described initially as new, then as a demo and turned up with over 1800 hours on it, plus they continually lied to me on the phone. Just in case there is any absence of doubt in there dealings with me. Poorly run company that went bust and started up again with the same name-appearance-directors etc (if the previous information is correct) seen it before and I guess it will happen again, the law is an ass
  9. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    You expect this sort of thing from some dodgy outfit being run from a bedsit but Sound and Vision's retail store in Farnworth is pretty big. Bought a plasma from them a few years back, they have a big warehouse nearby too.

I for one won't be touching them with a bargepole if what has been alleged here is true.

And if they are an assured advertiser on here then then clarity should be sought.
  10. Zedferret

Zedferret Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Notice the new company was set up 2 months before the old one went into administration. Knowingly taking peoples money and what they were going to do. They are legal criminals. I'm pretty sure tha same thing happend with EmpireDirect.
  11. paulroberts

paulroberts Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hmmm, anyway, I just noticed on the companies house web site, Digital Direct's "nature of business" categoy...

"Nature of Business (SIC(03)): 7499 - Non-trading company"

So I reckon they've just registered it to protect the name so no-one else can nick it, although you might have thought they would change it so they could start afresh without an "untarnished" reputation (check out the reviews at reviewcentre.com and you might wonder why they didn't ditch Digital Direct and use a new name!).
  12. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,818
    You could always call your trading standards office and lodge a complaint.
  13. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The law isn't an ass as it's quite staight forward. Company directors have to comply with the Companies Act as well as the laws of the land and if they don't they stand the risk of being prosecuted for unlawful trading, trading whilst knowingly insolvent, fraud and any number of other things.

We can't have a situation where people who's companies have failed in business but have done so honestly are restricted from running another company and it isn't the law that's an ass but the companies that supply them as far too many are so desperate to make sales that even after they have suffered a big bad debt loss they will supply the new company on credit terms and perhaps suffer another bad debt if company number 2 folds.

If the Administrators feel that for whatever reason the individuals who were behind the company have done wrong and are deemed to be unfit to be company directors they will inform the DTI (or whatever they are called nowadays) who will conduct an investigation.
  14. Mr. Fred

Mr. Fred Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I have never heard a good thing about them.

There's a lot of law quoting that borders on defending what can't be defended. The issue is as an 'assured' trader members here should automatically expect a certain level of service that AVF has in effect vouched for.

The signs have been there for a long time. I hope the impression I get that it's ok for these people to take peoples' money and go into administration is tolerable because it's within the boundaries of general law is the wrong impression.

To me it reflects badly on AVF and their other (probably reputable) affiliates.
  15. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I'll suggest to Stuart that in future all advertisers have to submit monthly management accounts, creditor ageings and bank statements so that we can monitor the ongoing financial performance of every advertiser :rolleyes:
  16. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,250
    it's perfectly legal to do that, and it's usually legal for those companies to keep on trading with the same directors, even if the first company with the same directors stops trading, and as a limited liability company, the new company isn't responsible for the debts of the old

if there is something that the powers that be don't like, an individual can be banned from being a director for a period of time, such as 3 years, but that's only if there is suspicion that the individual didn't handle the company right. in saying that, i know someone who did all sorts of dubious things with a reasonable size company that went bankrupt and for some reason he wasn't banned from being a director, even though the police investigated for fraud

what isn't legal is knowingly trading a company that's insolvent

the problem is that plenty of people set up a second (or third, fourth, etc) limited company for a new business, whilst the existing business is doing perfectly well. it may be that they want to protect the old business in case the new business doesn't do well, they might just want to keep things separate for other reasons. not everyone sets up a second company because the think the old one might not last. to some degree it's a bit like you looking for another job when you think your current employer might close down, in that the directors need to find a new source of income if the old business isn't going well. they still have to pay mortgages etc too, and perhaps are less likely to go to the job centre or get a normal job if the business doesn't work out

it is a pretty common thing for people to start a new business just before the old one folds. the thing is, most directors don't want the old company to fold and do what they can to prevent it, but when things go bad they have to throw in the towel, and the law can impose that on companies to stop them incurring further debts whilst trading insolvently

it's also not uncommon for the new company with the same directors to buy the assets of the old one. essentially the administrators job is to sell the assets for as much as they can. this sometimes isn't easy finding someone to buy everything, so if the old directors give a decent offer to buy it up, they are likely to take it, and whatever they pay goes to the debtors. sometimes if that didn't happen, the administrator might get a lot less for the assets if no-one else is interested in them
  17. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +7,818
    But in this case the web site states it is trading as Digital Direct GB Ltd and according to companies house, that is still under the same registered number that was created in 2002.

Chances are that they haven't got around to changing the web site to the newly formed companies name. They could probably trade as "Digital Direct" under new ownership (and no debts), but I think there is an issue with saying they're still Digital Direct GB Ltd. Happy to be enlightened if I've got the wrong end of the stick!
  18. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,250
    i haven't looked at the details of this case in particular, but if you either cease trading and the name can't be used, or you trade in administration, in which case it's "technically" named as "XXX company limited - in administration", so customers and debtors know. trading with a company in administration is quite safe however as your debts are guaranteed by the administator

a shop could go bust and be taken over the next day by a new company that buys the stock and trades out of the same property. they might not bother repainting initially. it's a bit different in taking over a website though, it should be fairly simple to amend text to show it's a different company. perhaps the old website just wasn't shut down
  19. paulroberts

paulroberts Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Well I did email Bolton trading standards at the time (when I was getting no joy reaching anyone at Digital Direct to discuss my order) but got no response.
  20. Mr. Fred

Mr. Fred Member

Ratings:
    +98
    It's nothing at all like that and I don't believe anything was said to warrant such sarcasm.

I think listening to the OP rather than coming on here spouting legality to defend a revenue stream would be a more stand up way to operate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Zedferret

Zedferret Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Credit Card company refunded my purchase, and my faith in humanity is restored. I'tll be Richer Sounds for me from now on. Digital Direct should not be an assured trader on here.
  22. Big Stan

Big Stan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Mr Fred, I am with you on your comments, my understanding is that AVforum is about helping members not dishing out sarcasm. I bought my PJ partly based on the fact that Digital Direct where an AVF assured advertiser. Perhaps an apology may be in order here?
  23. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Since when has any form of media been responsible for the performance of it's advertisers so it is plainly daft to make comments like "members here should automatically expect a certain level of service that AVF has in effect vouched for."

Do you expect The Daily Telegraph to vouch for the performance of it's advertisers or even ITV.

Advertisers carry a link in their signatures to the "Assured Advertiser" page which clearly states:-

As I said, it is plainly daft to expect AV Forums to monitor the financial performance of all of it's advertisers. There were no complaints about this particular company until it went bust so there was no reason for AV Forums to be concerned but we can all be wise after the event
  24. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Just curious what the 'Assured' part of Assured Advertiser means?

as·sured
    adj. 1. Made certain; guaranteed: an assured income.
    2. Exhibiting confidence or authority: paints with an assured hand.
    3. Chiefly British Insured.

n. pl. assured or as·sureds

Maybe Authorised Advertiser would be better?

The Forge
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    I think a sensible approach we can have regarding any supplier is to ask on the forums for people's experiences before making a major purchase. Even then there isn't a guarentee that the company will give the same service a few months later, but it is often a useful guide.

I've seen such threads and some negative responses so than you can make an informed decision as I did recently over a small cost item that I just couldn't find elsewhere. Had it been a TV or similar I probably wouldn't have dealt with that particular company (and yes, it was a forum sponser), but at least it was ordered knowing that the company tended to take their time responding, but for less than £10 it wouldn't have been disasterous if the part had never turned up or been not as I expected.

Obviously AVF can't 'vouch' for it's sponsers, but I would expect that any negative posts regarding poor service from them aren't editted or deleted (I don't think I've noticed any that have been) to avoid 'upsetting' sponsers. That way members can make an informed decision. I know that I won't be buying anything from Digital Direct or Sound & Vision when I replace my TV in the autumn, thanks to this thread.
  26. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    As the word "Assured" means "secure, confident" perhaps the phraseology is the issue here?

How is "Assured Advertiser" different from "Advertiser"?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Big Stan

Big Stan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with the general feeling by the majority of posters (and general commonsense) that "assured" adds creditability, AVF need to look at the dropping this tag or stand by the meaning with some form of monitoring. Can I ask does AVF get a remuneration for handing out the title "assured" and what are the qualifications/credentials for receiving this approval. It should be noted that Digital Direct have a long and in some cases poor history in other reviews on the net contrary to what has been said in an earlier post. Ps A bit less of the Red Mist may add more constructive comment and produce a solution
  28. Big Stan

Big Stan Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Keen to get a response on the isuues raised
  29. kopchoir

kopchoir Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,867
    Digital Direct wont be the first advertiser on the forums to upset its members and offer poor quality service and it wont be the last.
    Advertisers on other fourms have clout and those advertisers who have been known to swindle folk out of money or have unhappy customers have asked for threads about their shoddy business to be removed and they have been.

This thread is still here and can be seen by google quite easily and has made people aware of said company as can be seen by the new members that registered here for info.

I have seen other advertiser threads here also stay when they have been slated for poor customer service from the members here, this what gives this forum integrity over others impartial advice.

Off Topic just read this thread for the first time and was sorry to hear that you got scammed:(:(:(

Kop
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,571