Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between cables - CAT6 & HDMI

Discussion in 'CAT5 Cabling' started by sunil1234, Dec 19, 2009.

1. sunil1234

sunil1234 Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Hi there

About to run some cat6 15m in our pending garage conversion in ceiling void.

Wondered what the difference was between these two please?

Belkin Cat6 Snagless UTP Patch Cable 15m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and

Belkin Cat6 Snagless Patch Cable - 4Pair, RJ45M: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Also are these hdmi leads too cheap to be good for v1.4 and a 10m run from source to projector (HD200x)

10m HDMI v1.4 Cable with Ethernet ~ Professional: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Many thanks for any advice. Just need to get input from the wise ones here and then i can buy them
  2. richard_ha

richard_ha Member

Ratings:
    +23
    UTP stands for Unshielded twisted pair.

Over such short distance you are unlikely to be able to tell the difference so go for the cheaper one!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. sunil1234

sunil1234 Member

Ratings:
    +98
    thanks, from what i can see they are both UTP but not sure why amazon has two products at diff prices as belkin website only has one 15m cat6 blue cable

Cheers

Anyone got any comments on the hdmi cables pls?
  4. Member 426448

Member 426448 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Seems very cheap, especially for a V1.4 cable. The conductors don't look that well shielded (looks thin) and the connector looks similar to the type we have on our Value range of cables which I wouldn't recommend for anything over a few metres.

As with all things I would suggest buying it and testing before it is installed.

Is your projector a V1.4 device?

If not I would suggest a good quality V1.3 cable such as

10m HDMI Cable

As these have been tested up to 15m.

If you do buy it and it is OK please let us know.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sunil1234

sunil1234 Member

Ratings:
    +98
    Many thanks, i think i will look at other options inc yours as i dont want to get an issue once they are put above the ceiling!. They might be fine at first but if issues arise after a while. DOnt have anything that supports/needs 1.4 and plan to run 2 x cat6 utp with the 2 x hdmi anyhow up to the projector. Should i be running a pc lead as well?

thanks

Ho hum....
  6. Member 426448

Member 426448 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    If you mean up to the projector, its up to you, bear in mind that most modern PC graphics cards have a hdmi output so you should be OK.

On the other hand, the general rule of thumb appears to be to run twice as many cables as you think you are going to need in the future as the added expense now is nothing compared to the pain of ripping down walls / celings.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,822
    No such thing as a v1.4 HDMI cable - or v1.2, 1.3 for that matter.

HDMI.org are very clear about folk not labeling or marketing cables in this way - http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

Cables are either High Speed, High Speed with Ethernet, Standard Speed or Standard Speed with Internet - High Speed cables having being tested with a 1080p signal whereas Standard Speed cables are tested at 1080i/720p.

A High Speed cable will support all features found in the 1.4 'hardware' specification - the only choice being will you eventually need Ethernet support or not!

At this time there is nigh on nothing available to the Consumer market that supports 'with Ethernet' nor most of anything else 1.4 has on offer.

Any cable thats being sold/labeled as v1.4 compliant is (at this time) unlikely to have actually gone through any form of official HDMI certification!

The Belkin CAT6 cable is likely to be fine for your requirement.

Joe
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. Member 426448

Member 426448 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hey Joe,

I thought I read somewhere that the 2 previously unused pins in a cable are used to carry the ethernet stuff and that it was fairly important that they are a twisted pair which is not true in some cables (as they are unused they may even be omitted in some cheaper cables).

I could be wrong though, I'll try and remember where I read it........

I agree that nothing seems to support the extra V1.4 stuff yet. Not convinced we will see anything anytime soon or if we will see a benefit when we do.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Member 426448

Member 426448 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Found it:

HDMI 1.4 Includes Ethernet, 2-Way Audio - Tom's Guide

Guess your right about the High Speed and Standard Speed cables with and without Ethernet.

Hope it catches on soon, should finally help clear up the what cable will work with what arguments and discussions that are going on.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sunil1234

sunil1234 Member

Ratings:
    +98
    thanks all

just had a proper measure up now the floor has been constructed and the room will be 4.4m long max with 2.4m ceiling height so i can even opt for slightly shorter than 10m cables.

I saw another site with belkin cat 6 shielded in 10m, is this a better option for potential hdmi use given there is only about £2 in it?

5th one on link below

Homestead - Belkin Shielded Snagless 500Mhz Cat6 Network Cables

thanks
  11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,822
    Hello

UTP CAT6 is fine for use with all HDMI Extenders I've had a look at.

Keep in mind that whilst most Extenders are wired as per a 'standard' CAT5/6 cable (TIA-468B or TIA-468A) some use a straight through wiring config!

At 10m you would require an Amplified HDMI cable if you want High Speed (CAT2) Certification - Media Factory - Bettercables HIgh Speed CAT2 HDMI cables, 1m to 12m.

If you go with dual CAT6 plus a set of Extenders you are arguably more future proofed in that the Extenders could be swapped out in the future if anything current lets you down at a future date.

Media Factory - Octava HDOCAT, HDMI + Optical 5.1 over CAT5 Extender inc. IR Passthru

I'd be tempted to consider a High Speed HDMI cable plus two length of CAT6 and use the HDMI cable for now and have the CAT6 cable in place as a back up - where possible ensure you can pull through a replacement cable should anything ever be damaged.

Joe
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009