1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel Contamination?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by delboyuk2005uk, Jun 5, 2009.

1. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I fill up at my tesco garage every 2 weeks. Last time I filled up was on Sunday. I have since driving 200-300 miles since then. Anyway last night I drove for about 20 seconds turned round the corner and my car went dead. I thought maybe I never had enough power to keep it going in 3rd. Anyway I tryed to start the car and it wont start. Error message coming up saying engine fault contact workshop. And the orange rope on the dash is flashing yellow.

Got the car into SEAT today. They 1st came to say it was a dodgy wire. After a bit they came out with some diesel in a glass and are stating its been contaminated. I know that I have not put any petrol in there. They aint quite saying its petrol but it has been contaminated.

Then they bought out another glass of someone elses diesel. The other one did smell stronger and was a little bit clearer but nothing else.

Anyway they are going to flush the diesel out my car and put new diesel in there. And if the car starts then they are going to put it down to this. They said it wont be covered by the warranty if this is the case.

Feel like I been robbed if this is the case how can my diesel be contaminated. They said I would have to take it up with TESCO who I fill up with every 2 weeks.

I just hope it does not come down to that and its something else.

What do you guys think anyone had any problems with this error on the dash or with contaminated diesel?
  2. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    It won't just be you, contact your local paper and if there are more people involved you can all approach Tesco together.
  3. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I contacted the tesco garage they say they have had no other complaints.

Just gave me a bog standard email to email tesco.

This is going to be stressful
  4. un1eash

un1eash Active Member

Ratings:
    +450
    This isnt the first time supermarket fuel has been contaminated, i avoid it if i can as my car use to run rough on it.
  5. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,711
    Contact your local paper, Tesco will lie and look you in the face.
  6. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Well I am waiting to SEAT to get back to me. Will these have a reason to lye to get out of oding warranty work?

Once I know what these say I can talk to tesco and papers etc if need be.
  7. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    Think of this, you have 6 laptops and 2 of them show the same fault, you call up the technical support and you say 'Maybe there is a batch issue?' if there was it would be affecting lots of people and not just you, the same applies here with the fuel.

Granted many believe that companies try to get out of this but if they want repeat business they have to show they care and respond in the appropriate matter.

Check it out with the locals, even go to the garage and approach some customers and ask them when they fill up and if they have had issues, if you can't find anyone else the garage is talking rubbish.

I assume no one else drives the car?

Liam
  8. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    no just me who drives the car to work and back.

I mean the samples could of came from no where I just have to take the word for it.
  9. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    any more advice, or teaching about this stuff?
  10. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI Member

Ratings:
    +71
    have you got the car back and how is it running ? was it really low on fuel ? If there is diesel in the tank it'll run. It might run rough but it should go. Only if you fill it with unleaded will it stop but you would know pretty soon if that was the case. It could be something that the previous owner had done or the DPF issue ??
  11. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    No aint got the car back yet. Damn garage has got it till monday tuesday. Will be ringing me on monday with any progress.

No I fillled it to the top on sunday. And done 200 miles or so till thursday after work I drove for about 20 seconds then it stopped and would not start. I would say I had 2/3 of the tank left.

I thought I just stalled it as I went round the corner in 3rd and thought I never had enough power to continue. Then the error came up when I tryed to start it again.

The garage thought it was a wire faulty qat 1st. From this to showing me my own diesel is strange. Did the code tell them this.
  12. johnno15

johnno15 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    No I dont think so they will have just tested the fuel did you mention you had filled up recently?

Do you have a receipt for the fuel that you put in?
  13. jasonf01

jasonf01 Member

Ratings:
    +85
    20 seconds, wouldnt that be about the time it takes to get the fuel from the main tank to the injectors, with the stuff before then already in the fuel pipes from the last run?

Id think the fuel wouldnt have been contaminated if you managed to drive 200 miles on the same tank with no problems in the days between filling up and this happening.

I wonder if anyone might have contaminated your fuel overnight or something? Do people still put sugar in the gas tank and suchlike?

Jas.
  14. chrislee

chrislee Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I agree with Jas, when my missus filled our last car (Diesel Xtrail) with unleaded, we knew with in a couple of miles something was up.

£600 charged by the Nissan garage to put it right again.

Chris
  15. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Yeah thats the stranfe thing how can they say its contaminated diesel when I drove over 200 miles on a full tank. The tank was put in on Sunday afternoon. Thursday evening coming home from work 20-30 seconds later cuts out wont start again.

Just waiting on a update today.
  16. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    **UPDATE**

They did the flush and put new diesel in the car wont start. Still not managed to start it now. Rang me just before 6pm they advise they are concetrating on the main relay and if this is the problem they would look to get it done on the warranty as its a very big job apparently. So feeling even worse then I did before..
  17. hamster1

hamster1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a later update with this? I have just had a near identical issue with my Audi A4. I keep all my receipts so I know that I filled up in Tescos (Sutton Coldfield), I had travelled about 150 miles after filling up an empty tank. Top end power was lost and later car ran like a dog at low speeds and emission control lamp came on. Garage reported diesel was contaminated with petrol (they have kept a sample). Drained and refuelled - but still did not run well. Changed the emission return control valve (sooted and stuck closed) which resolved issue. Complained to Tesco who replied with stock letter "we have not other report issues...procedures to protect against contamination...not out fault....sorry".

Any update on how this ended for you would be appreciated.
  18. neilos100

neilos100 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds to me then that it was the emission return valve which was the problem and not the fuel, specially as it did not run well even after the fuel was changed! I think it would take more than a couple of hundred miles to soot the EGR valve up.
    There are many myths about supermarket fuel being of a lower quality and contaminated and they are mostly wrong. Tesco in particular buy their fuel from Greenergy( actually they are shareholders too though minor ones.), one of the biggest independent refiners; they supply 13% of the UK's fuel(over 100 million litres a week!!!) to both supermarkets and branded filling stations. http://www.greenergy.com/company/index.html
    You are actually more likely to get contaminated fuel from a local garage with low turnover...remember Tescos et al sell millions of litres of fuel and this turnover alone will keep their tanks flushed and contaminant free.
    Seems to me a few garages are trying to get out of warranty work by blaming problems on so called dodgy fuel.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  19. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +690
    +1 and it's an easy excuse or an easy 'diagnosis' for them ;)

Liam
  20. Tino

Tino Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Not sure if garages are trying to get out of warranty work, as this work gets paid(albeit at a lower labour rate) by the manufacturer.
    Its probably just them making a random guess. We don't have any tools to measure fuel contamination on site. A sample would need to be sent away for analysis at a cost. You can often smell petrol in diesel if there is a decent amount, but a small amount of contamination would be hard to tell. Plus the car would probably still run OK with a small amount of petrol in it.
  21. delboyuk2005uk

delboyuk2005uk Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Mine ended up not being contaminated diesel was in the garage for 10 days tho.

Never quite gave me the right reason but one of the fuel filters was replaced under the warranty they told me.

But I do remember running really low on diesel one day. This could of contrbuted to one of the fuel filters being blocked and needed replacing.

They left the suppsoedly diesel in the tank and its been running fine fingers crossed since the fuel injectoer been replaced.

To be honest seems easy way out saying the deisel is contaminated.

I stood up for myself and kept my story.
  22. shawmacher

shawmacher Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had trouble starting my Transporter TD5. Has been in VW agent for 4 days, could not recify. Took to another VW agent yesterday and they say it is contaminated fuel and needs a whole new fuel system, cost £4500. I have only ever put in Brand name diesel and I am the only driver. How can that happen? Does the massive filter costing £40 not do anything?