Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DG834G V4 - change aerial

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by funkyspider, Sep 5, 2008.

1. funkyspider

funkyspider Active Member

Ratings:
    +497
    Hi can someone with a Netgear DG834G v4 tell me is you can unscrew the aerial to replace it with a higher gain one.

You can tell if it's a v4 from the sticker underneath.
    You can tell if you can remove the aerial as it just unscrews :smashin:

I want to try a v4 to see if I get any better download speeds from my new ADSL2+ service as the v4 uses a different chipset to my current v3 and it's supposed to be better for ADSL2+

I use the DG834G as I need VPN connection to work - if anyone can recommend an alternative with IPsec VPN then I'll have a look at something else

Cheers.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. solidamber

solidamber Member

Ratings:
    +132
    The ariel just unscrews you have to grip it near the unit as it spins freely on a joint, If you want to obtain higher download speeds try looking for a DG834GT, you can download a free hacked firmware version for it called "UBERGT"
    this has some extra options in the router settings one of which is called "target SNR" you can adjust this to get higher download speeds too high though and your connection becomes unstable, so you have to find a balance it starts at 100 the lower the number you choose the higher the download speed. it also has some settings to tweak ADSL2+ connections.
    look up "DGTeam" they also do a similar version for the GT. If buying a second hand GT don't get a SKY branded one as you have to run a restore program first as SKY use GTs but with their own locked firmware which is harder to remove.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  3. funkyspider

Ratings:
    +497

I need the G rather than the GT as the GT doesn't support IPsec VPN unfortunately.

The only other combined modem/router that netgear does which supports VPN is the ProSafe DGFV338, which is too expensive just to try it out as an experiment.

I currently have a DG834G v3 but the chipset in the v4 is supposed to be better with ADSL2+ so I just want to try it. The reason I ask if the aerial is still replaceable on the v4 is that I use a higher gain external at the moment to improve my home wireless signal strength and it works a treat.

I currently have a downstream connection sync speed of around 14mbps with a speedtest result of

Speed Down 11371.48 Kbps ( 11.1 MBPS )
    Speed Up 805.95 Kbps ( 0.8 MBPS )

Nildram tech support, which I must say has been excellent, think I can get more and that the v3 chipset may be a limiting factor.

I'm happy to try out other manufacturers which support VPN, but the Zyxel I tried had a shockingly weak wireless strength to every bit of kit in my house even when using the external higher gain aerial I have.
  4. funkyspider

Ratings:
    +497
    Just found this on another forum. It doesn't look like you can change the aerial on the v4 :(

"The one big thing I do not like about it is that the Anteena is NOT removable even though Netgear told me it is removable.

I always us 5DB or 7DB Anteena."