Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devices with Native support for APPLE LOSSLESS??

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by rybu, Feb 22, 2012.

1. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All, First Post so here goes:hiya::hiya::hiya::hiya:

I am looking for a streaming device which natively supports Apple Lossless.

I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE MY COMPUTER ON, so sending the data (songs) from a NAS (when i get it!). I have got a number of Apple lossless songs and currently use an airport express from my laptop into the stereo.

I have an iphone to use as the remote just so I have said!

So far I have found:

Logitech Squeezebox
    Simple Audio Roomplayer

I am looking at spending no more than £500,

Any other
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    What sort of NAS are you going for? Might it be one that can run WHS? If it is, then just run iTunes as a service on it, and it can output directly to the Airport Express (as an AirTunes speaker) and you control it with the iPhone Remote app. Simple.

Of course, if you aren't going for that kind of NAS, then that's all useless info for you! ;)
  3. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the quick reply, I am looking at getting a Synology ds212 NAS which I believe answers the question as 'No' but could be wrong!

Ryan :smashin:
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    The Sonos players support Apple Lossless.

I'm guessing that as you're already using Apple Lossless with an Airport Express, you are using iTunes and (maybe) have a Mac?

You should have a read of this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/stre...s-integrating-itunes-nas-music-streamers.html and the challenges of using iTunes with a Linux-based NAS and music streamers.

Some folks would steer you away from a Linux-based NAS towards a Mac Mini or even a hacked Apple TV Mk.I, either of which would run iTunes proper and let you keep the Airport Express and/or use the increasing number of units which are Apple Airplay compatible.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I am using iTunes but on a pc laptop. My stereo is in the dining room/ kitchen.

Sonos sound quality, I would have to take an audition of.

The mac minis hardrive would be too small unfortunately.

So far, Native support for apple lossless:

Sonos
    Simple audio roomplayer
    Squeezebox

Does anyone know anymore??

Regards,

Ryan
  6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,286
    All of the Linn DS streamers support ALAC too but are all outside your £500 budget.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    If you are planning to use a decent outboard dac, then that will be a bit of a leveller for sound quality. Some people argue that if the dac is good enough, the transport doesn't matter. I'll be testing that theory tomorrow with an rdac and naim dac, using a regular zp90 and a modded one.

But anyway, my point is, if the sound quality of the sonos is stopping you from considering it, it can be improved significantly.
  8. clockworks

clockworks Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    Instead of getting a NAS, get a microserver like the HP N40L - £140 after £100 cashback from HP. A microserver will allow you to run iTunes properly, and won't be much noisier or much more expensive to run than a NAS. A lot more flexible than a NAS.
    If you are happy with the way your Airport and iPod remote work, this should be the ideal solution.

I was in your situation a few weeks ago, and using the HP microserver works very well for me - 3 Airplay devices and a Dune D1 media player. I run the server headless (no monitor or keyboard). If I need to see what it's doing or change anything, I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection app on my iMac.
  9. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excuse the ignorance but does the above come with hard drive, also where can you get it for the £140 price (£100 cash back)

Sounds a like an option!
  10. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
  11. clockworks

clockworks Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    All the official HP re-sellers should be offering the £100 cashback deal. I got mine from eBuyer. Dabs and Misco are also doing it, IIRC.

I comes with a 250GB HDD to use as the boot drive. You just add more drives for storage, as required. The most cost effective option seems to be to strip down some 2GB USB drives. You'll also need an OS. I went with Windows Home Server 2011 for just over £30.
  12. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I will have to have n audition of the sonos system to see how it sounds
  13. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right is there any other streamers with NATIVE apple lossless support apart from:

Sonos
    Simple audio roomplayer
    Squeezebox
    Linn

There must be more??

Ryan
  14. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    There are more, Naim for example, but they're beyond the £500 limit you set...
  15. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you. It appears to be a very short list then.

Maybe in a couple of months when I will be looking to buy more brands will have native support.

Thanks all

Ryan
  16. nunovi

nunovi Member

Ratings:
    +62
    A Vortexbox based music server will play ALAC natively. Additionally it can automatically rip cds and convert them to ALAC automatically. With an HRT Streamer II asynchronous USB DAC, the whole package will be under £500 with a 2tb hard drive and would give you excellent sound quality. It even allows you to connect Sonos or Squeezebox for multiroom and you can control the player with both free and paid iOS and Android. More importantly, it plays gapless albums flawlessly when using MPod/MPaD, something most media streamers don't.
    I use a LIV Zen Music Server, which is fanless and looks great.
  17. trailer

trailer Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    There is also the Simple Audio Room Player range. Not entirely sure of the spec but they support ALAC.
  18. rybu

rybu Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, got that one. Thanks anyway!!:smashin:
  19. jelockwood

jelockwood Member

Ratings:
    +8
    A belated reply but here is a list for you.

Squeezebox players natively support Apple Lossless and most NAS boxes include a version of the SlimServer software.

The discontinued Roku SoundBridge range supports Apple Lossless and will connect to the FireFly server (compatible with iTunes Sharing) that again most NAS boxes include.

Sonos ZonePlayer's also support Apple Lossless, they connect via SMB to the NAS.

The Dune HD range apparently now support Apple Lossless.

A cheap PC might just qualify as well. It is possible to not only use iTunes on the PC, but also to get WMP and Media Center to play Apple Lossless.

If you can get your NAS box to run forked-daapd then you can connect an Apple TV box to it, this would certainly be within budget. :)
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  20. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Well as this one's come back from the dead, I may as well add that many of the mainstream hifi seperate streamers support ALAC, such as the Denon DNP-F109, Cambridge Audio's NP30 & Stream Magic 6 and Pioneer's N-30 & N-50. All except the Stream Magic 6 are ~£250 - £400
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  21. stevos

stevos Active Member

Ratings:
    +203
    I use squeezebox server/player for mine. Combined with a laptop for remote and it works perfectly.

Another option is good old XMBC.
  22. NW3

NW3 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Bit of a thread resurrection.

I'm after the same information...looking for something decent quality. I know Naim supports ALAC does anyone else ?

I was thinking of buying an Oppo 105, it owuld be perfect except it doesn't support ALAC.

I'd really like to use ALAC as everything else I have is Apple based i.e. iMac, iPhone etc.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  23. raredub

raredub Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Bluesound Node & Powernode play Apple Lossless...
  24. Cebolla

Cebolla Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Does the device you're looking for need to have video and multichannel sound playback capabilities of the Oppo?

If not, you could do save yourself some cash and hopefully benefit your ears by getting a network audio player (many support ALAC, as well as all other Apple formats), as suggested a couple of posts earlier than yours. The CA Stream Magic 6 and the Pioneer N-50 are arguably the best sounding of the <£1000 hifi stereo streamers and are definitely worth an audition. The N-50 also supports AirPlay, BTW.

You could always use a cheaper model (eg Pioneer N-30) for its ALAC playback capabilities and add a more capable DAC, if the characteristics of the internal DACs of the SM6 and the N-50 don't suit.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  25. davidcotton

davidcotton Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Get one of the sb3's from amazon, job done.
  26. NW3

NW3 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't think the SB3 is really up to what I want it for, I've got a pretty decent system. Speakers are B&W 802D's.

I was looking at the Oppo to replace an Arcam DVD player and Copland CD player. Think what I am going to do is get the Oppo 103 as DVD/BluRay player and then a decent streamer for the 2 channel listening. I'll have a look and try and demo some of those mentioned above.

Cheers