Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player owners' thread

Thanks. I'd rather not but maybe I'll try a "plug in" HD.

This thread has been most useful as I have been searching for a media streamer for a while now and cant seem to make up mind.

Key requirements for me are

1) Ability to stream from WD Mybook live NAS drive in FLAC/Lossless WAV file
2) Networked connection
3) Some form of Android app to control it - is there one?
4) Easy Plug and Play and setup
5) A good DAC as I do not want to add a supplementary DAC to it

This device seems to hit all the points and at a reasonable price.

Any other options out there I dont want multi room streaming just a device to hook up to my Stereo

Any other user experiences?

Cheers
Kwack

If you can live with the sorting issues and user interface issues I've highlighted earlier in this thread then it meets all your needs. Otherwise try and track down the recently discontinued Squeezebox Touch.

Tennant

Cheers- I did look at the Squeezebox Touch but thiss isnt compatible with the WD MYbook live without hacking into it and loading the SB server

Seems good value - will it do what I need? I am stuck with a wireless router in one room and hi-fi separates including a 25 yr old NAD amp in another, plus an iPad and a hard drive with thousands of mp3 files - almost none lossless. For £300 I want to easily play the mp3s through my amp and get a reasonable sound (approaching cd quality?)
How about I plug the Denon into the back of the amp and buy a NAS drive (1 Tb?)
But do I stand the NAS drive next to the Denon and connect to it with USB cable or does the NAS drive stand by the router in the next room and connect to it with ethernet cable?
I guess then I transfer all the mp3 files to the NAS drive, plus transfer the iTunes library from the iPad to the NAS drive as well. I then use the Denon app on the iPad to play my music through the amp. Will this work / which is the right position for the NAS drive?

Yes andypit, that will work. As long as the NAS is connected to the same network it can be physically located anywhere.

The NAS drive should be connected to your router thereby making it accessible across all your network

The Denon unit would then need to connect to the network and you should be able to see your music files on there. Not sure about controlling via Ipad as I dont use them but cant see why not via the Denon App

Seems good value - will it do what I need?
[-]I don't think the Denon has WiFi out of the box so you'll either have to connect to your router with ethernet/homeplugs or investigate if they offer a WiFi dongle (usually ridiculously over-priced).
[/-]
The playback quality will depend largely on the degree of compression in your MP3s.

Last edited:
Many thanks all for this – and apologies for my lack of know-how – just wanted to check if my reasoning is correct (I’m not clear on options for connecting NAS drives I’m afraid)?;
- 1. was advised to get a NAS drive as my current USB hard drive would have to be connected to a PC left switched on the whole time?
- 2. Would I then have the option to connect the NAS wirelessly with the router in another room / or in the same room using Ethernet cable?
- 3. if both options at 2. are allowed - and given the Denon will be in a different room to the router - I can then either sit the NAS drive next to the router connected by Ethernet and the Denon in the next room connects wirelessly to it (I did think it was supposed to do this without a dongle?) – or I can sit the NAS drive next to the Denon [physically connected to its USB port? – is that possible / desirable?] and connected wirelessly with the router in the next room.
Am pretty sure I’m confusing myself here!

One of the purposes behind a NAS drive is to allow the files to be accessible across a network without having the PC on. Say for example you have a PC and laptop you could access the NAS files with having either of them on.

The NAS drive connects to your router and then becomes accessible by computers/xbox etc that are also on that network.

For the Denon I thought you can go wireless, if you go wired you would need a set of homeplugs or run Ethernet cable around your house

I dont think I would go NAS into USB as that kinda defeats the purpose of the NAS drive as it will only be accessible by the Denon and nothing else on your network

I think that helps

Kwack

Hi,

Pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday. Initial impressions are very good. Setup was pretty easy, found my music server no problem and even playing the MP3 were great.

This morning though no connection to server, cant get anything at all. I think it is to do with the Homeplugs I am using as they have been a bit dodgy previously which is why I retired them to the box and run wirelessly throughout the house.

Going to set up wireless when I get home and hopefully that will cure it unless the unit is faulty which I doubt.

All in all a good experience. Navigating around the menus is a bit painful I must say

Kwack

Would be very interested to hear how you get on connecting it wirelessly to your music files as that's the set up I'd be planning to go with rather than ethernet cable / homeplugs.

Will post back tonight - I hope it isnt too bad as the Xbox which lives below it connects up fine

So screwed in the wireless aerial and went through the set up process again for a wireless network.

Followed the instructions to the letter and it all just worked. nice and simple . It did take a while to scan for available networks but you gotta be patient.

Really impressed with this Denon. It finds a multitude of radio stations which could give you countless hours of music, Nas side just started ripping to FLAC although having said that my current MP3 sound pretty fantastic as they are.

My 10 yr old son got his Ipod Touch streaming very simply. There was a button available to play via Denon on his Ipod and selected and off it went and did its thing.

All in I am chuffed with this - next thing on the list will be what amp would be worth pairing with this. I have currently got it playing through an old 20 yrs+ JVC all in one.

These forums are so useful

Thanks
Kwack

Sounds great - I intend to do the same - is the Denon in the same room as your NAS drive by the way?
Also - I'm going to be buying and setting up a NAS drive from scratch and then transfer all my mp3 files to it from my current USB hard drive - any tips on which NAS to buy? / pitfalls to avoid when setting up and transferring files to it etc ?
cheers

I recommend the Netgear ReadyNAS range. The Ultra is probably most suitable for home use, and you can buy them disk less and then supply your own hard drives, which works put cheaper.

It comes with a DLNA server as standard, but you can also run other popular DLNA servers on it such as Twonky.

Be aware though that the Denon doesn't fully comply with all tagging though, so your album tracks might not play in the right order...I am in contact with Denon about this, they seemed quite keen to resolve it at the end of last year, but gone quiet now!

if u are not that technically minded i would get a pre built nas drive. i have a western digital mybook live.

it sits next to my router which is in a separate room to my denon which connects wirelessly.

i see what mean about taghing. i have arranged my music by folders artist/album and there is an option to search via folder on the denon which i tend to use

kwack

Hi, I am interested in changing my denon tu-1500ae tuner with the dnp-720. Can anyone please confirm if this streamer can handle wav files at 192/24 from wired LAN? Also, about the file sorting issue, should we expect a fix in a future firmware update or should we just write it off as "take it as it is"? Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, so only FLAC - up to 24/96. I was misleaded by their product info brochure which states on the feature list: "High precision 24-bit 192 kHz D/A converter" and then on the back page: "High quality 24-bit/192kHz audio digital to analogue converters". So what would be the use of these 24/192 DACs?

Its marketing a feature you cannot use but they hope you don't notice. Little point though in audio files of this resolution as they are few and far between and most are upsampled from Cd quality. There is a school of thought that very high resolution files allows for the introduction of intermodulation distortion that degrades the sound you hear so there is no benefit.

More info here: 24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

Well, I only have about 20 hd albums, most of them being 24/96 vynil rips of good quality and the difference in sound is obvious (presence, space, background). I want to enjoy them (and future others) on my new streamer, not to mention that my audio gear stays for long terms. Regards

24/96 seems to be the optimum for sound quality, 24/192 is all about selling a useless feature but that has never stopped the audio companies running their own 'arms race' and creating that air of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) that it might sound better if you bought this wizzy feature otherwise you could be missing out. Mostly features like this exist because they can technically do it and to the general public they sound like it should be an improvement because the numbers are higher. The Denon is a prime example - it doesn't actually support 24/192 files even though theoretically it has the capability but it is still being sold as a feature. :nono: Caveat emptor

That's why forums such as this have such a high value for compared to advertising supported review magazines.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom