1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DNP-720AE Network Audio Player owners' thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by Cliff.Barnes, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Ataripower

Ataripower Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Because it was advertised with Napster support, which influenced my decision to buy this over something else. I use and like using Napster, and if it stops supporting Napster, it by definition ceases to be useful to me :thumbsdow
  2. SNICK

SNICK Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Fair enough......:hiya:
  3. Jammiedodger

Jammiedodger Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Ataripower

Ataripower Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks for the link, really disappointing news and poor show by Denon. Have decided to sell mine, it's available cheap on the AV Forum classifieds if anyone is interested. :mad:
  5. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My challenge now is to get the remote working on my iPhone. The Denon remote app asks for an IP address. What is this and where do I find it? The Airplay remote keeps looking for my music library but does not seem to be able to find it. Any help with either of these would be appreciated. Many thanks
  6. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    It's the unique ID assigned to each bit of equipment on your network, allocated by your router. Chances are it'll be something like 196.168.0.xx with xx set for each device. How to find it depends on the kit...
  7. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My router is a Netgear N600. The Denon 720 is connected to it wirelessly. Any advice on how to find the IP address greatly appreciated.:)
  8. shereboy

shereboy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Bappa, you can see the assigned IP address of your device following the menu>network>network info>IP Address

And also if you know how to access your modem's administration screen' you can simply go to the admin screen look for some tab or link like "associated clients" or "connected clients". Then you can see a list of clients connected to your network with their assigned IP addresses.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the ip address but the Denon remote would not connect, I had a message which says ' check your device' whatever that means. I am therefore now trying to make the Airplay remote work. Again without success. I keep getting the message that it 'could not find' my itunes library. I have tried disabling the firewall but so far this has not helped. I can get to the point where a pin number is issued but it then tells me to find the iPhone on the devices list in Itunes, but I cannot locate that list - it only appears when my iphone is connected for synchronising. Any advice?
  10. shereboy

shereboy Member

Ratings:
    +5

Did you turn on home sharing in itunes? If not? you should in order to Apple Remote app connect to your library.

[​IMG]
  11. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is turned on
  12. furyboy

furyboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, can any dnp 720 owners let me know what they think of there machines,
    i,ve got one and am pleased with it, but got the chance of taking it back to richer sounds , and pay another £150 for cambridge np30, what should i do?
    have my music on itunes in apple lossless, but dont think the cambridge supports this, what do any of you guys think. my airplay symbol dissapeared on itunes a few times, and internet radio dropped off a few times, but i guess this could happen to a £1000 machine if not set up properly,
  13. networkn

networkn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There!

For the life of me I appear to be missing something basic, and I can't play from my Ipod to my DNP. If I connect it via USB to my computer, in the playing song there is an icon to help me select a new type of playback device and the DNP is there, but if I disconnect it I can't see it.

What do I need to do on my Ipod to get it to play wirelessly to it?

I have all my android devices working fine, so I am pretty sure it's just a config on the ipod itself.
  14. furyboy

furyboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, there, im no expert, but as far as i know, the denon wont play wirelessly from an ipod, but will play wirelessly from an ipod touch, an ipad, or an iphone. For instance i,ve got an ipod classic and it wont play wirelessly from that, when i connect it via usb to the denon, the screen on the ipod gives you the name of song playing and also says [denon music player]. I cant seem to control the ipod from its own scroll wheel, when connected, but the denon remote control, will control it, and the name of song comes up on denon display window. Hope this will be of some help to you, by the way, what do you think of the machine, i think its excellent.
    p.s. i control mine wirelessly from itunes on my laptop, it works fine!
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. networkn

networkn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Funboy, thanks. I run a 4th Gen Ipod Touch. Do I need to install an app?
  16. furyboy

furyboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, networkn, im not too sure about that, maybe look in the instruction book, or if i were you, pose that exact question on here or just pose the question on the web generally. Good luck!
  17. networkn

networkn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Figured it out, installed imediaplayerlite app and it's all happy now.
  18. kocl

kocl Member

Ratings:
    +11
    How good is the FM section of this device?
  19. furyboy

furyboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I never use the fm section, so i could,nt say, maybe another owner could help
  20. kocl

kocl Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Anynone using FM?
  21. cicobuff

cicobuff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously considering getting one of these streamers to replace the inconvenience of using a CD Player, I would be grateful if any owner has any answers to the following questions.

Has anyone who owns one compared the sound quality against the Marantz NA7004 (which is nearly twice the cost now)?.

Is the player capable of playing gapless FLAC files?
  22. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Member

Ratings:
    +146
    The Marantz's do not play FLAC gaplessly natively. The Denon and Marantz are part of the same family so would think that the same would apply.

However, if you utilise Apple AirPlay it will stream gaplessly to them. An even better solution if you have an iPhone or iPad is to instal the iPeng app and also Logitech's LMS (server software for their Squeezeboxes) on your network somewhere. iPeng can then use LMS to steam to your AirPlay device.

Or buy a SB Touch.
  23. Feast130

Feast130 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Im loving my DNP :) stream from either my iPhone or Mac anywhere in the house direct from iTunes. No need for a CD player ever again :)
  24. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using my Denon 720 player for several months and on the whole have found it pretty good. However, it has an annoying habit of dropping out of the wireless network at regular intervals, especially in the evening, when I am trying to play itunes music files via Airplay. This has got to a point where I don't dare use it when we have friends in because I know it won't be reliable. I have a Netgear 300mbps router and a 150mbps wireless dongle on my PC. The router, pc and Denon are all in different ground floor rooms. I imagine the problem is lack of bandwidth on the wireless. But what do I need to upgrade to make it work more reliably?
  25. TOG67

TOG67 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It could be that a nearby wireless network is operating on the same channel. Try changing channel on your router & see if it helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Bappa

Bappa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will try that
  27. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    You could also try reducing the beacon interval on the router as low as it will go.

It's also worth trying a simpler encryption scheme; eg WEP rather than WPA2. It made a difference to the reliability of my airport express.
  28. tennant

tennant Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I have just bought a Denon DNP-720AE and connected it to my NAS which has all my music on it in FLAC format served over my network using DLNA. The DNP is finding all the music correctly, however I cannot see how to select the album I want to play (either with the remote or the iPhone app). For example if I want to play Queen's Greatest Hits album, there are 3 ways to navigate to those files, but none of them correctly allow me to play that album:

'Album'--I scroll down to Greatest Hits, but this has all the songs from all albums called Greatest Hits, not just Queen.

'Artist'--I scroll down to Queen, but then I get all the songs by Queen in alphabetical order, I cannot just select the Greatest Hits album.

'Folder'--I select the Queen folder and then select the Greatest Hits folder; but whilst it is not the correct songs, they are in alphabetical order rather than the correct album order.

Even where an album title is unique, if it is a two disc album and I have all my meta data correct for disc 1/2 and 2/2, the DNP seems to ignore this and mix the two discs together!

What am I doing wrong, because at the moment the product, despite the excellent sound quality, it is unusable? It's not an option to start customising the meta data just for the DNP, when it all works perfectly on my other devices (Squeezebox etc).

Tennant
  29. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +361
    P10 of your manual - Switching Display though it also states -

• The order in which the tracks/files are displayed depends on
    the server specifications. If the tracks/ files are not displayed in
    alphabetical order due to the server specifications, searching by the
    first letter may not work properly.

A server or server software compatible with distribution in the
    corresponding formats is required to play music files via a network.
    z1 Music server
    • This unit is compatible with MP3 ID3-Tag (Ver. 2) standard.
    • This unit is compatible with WMA META tags.
    • WAV format Quantization bit rate: 16 bits.

- so your NAS music server software has an effect.
  30. tennant

tennant Member

Ratings:
    +17
    All my other devices connected to the same DLNA server don't suffer from the same problem. What is the Denon doing differently?