Denon AVR1912 - Owner's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying this amp. My kits as per my signature. The main thing I'm interested in is the audessy for setting up my svs sub. Does it do a good job of EQ-ing the sub???

Im having problems with EQ'ing my subwoofer, it sounds lovely deep and smooth at one end of my living room but i can hardly hear it at the other end of the room! and my room is only 4.5m x 3.5m, i know its probly down to sub placement but i thought thats what the audyssey was for, so far i would say its not that good at EQ'ing subwoofers but maybe someone else will tell you different!?!

Im having problems with EQ'ing my subwoofer, it sounds lovely deep and smooth at one end of my living room but i can hardly hear it at the other end of the room! and my room is only 4.5m x 3.5m, i know its probly down to sub placement but i thought thats what the audyssey was for, so far i would say its not that good at EQ'ing subwoofers but maybe someone else will tell you different!?!

No amp setup can compensate for poor placement of the sub. If the sound waves are physically bouncing off a wall and either cancelling themselves or re-enforcing the sound, the amp can't stop that as it has no way to 'direct' where the bass sound goes to, only its level which affects all listening points equally. e.g. if it boosts the level at the quiet end of the room, it will make it too loud at the other. To have that kind of control you would need two subs!

Move the sub about some and see how it sounds in different positions. Once you get a positioning that sounds right in both your listenting locations, then use Auddessey to find tune it.

Ian beat me to it.

The real question is do you like the bass at your main listening position? (the first measurement position of the microphone is considered as the main listening position by Audyssey)

Got one of these over the weekend to replace my old 1907, as I needed 3D HDMI switching (honest, it was life or death!).

Lovelly amp, really nice sound quality out of the box and I haven't even run the setup yet I'm just using the defaults as I need to set the room up first.

Question, can anyone give some guidance on how you get the remote control to control other devices via IR? The instructions in the manual and on screen aren't particularly clear and I can't seem to get it working. All I really want is to get it to do power on/off for my new Samsung PS59D6900 TV. As I'm using the amp for input switching and volume, and get all my TV from a Virgin box, the power is litterally the only button I use on the TV remote, so getting the 1912 remote to do just that function would save me a whole remote!

It would be nice to get the Panasonic BDT110 working as well, but that's a nice to have.

Has anyone got either of these working or can you provide some pointers of how you set this up?

Never mind, figured it out. Didnt realise that all the amp was doing was showing a catalogue of codes, rather than actually selecting something. Was also pressing the wrong button on the remote for 3 seconds! For ref it was the last of the three codes which worked on my D6900, even does menu control which is a lot more than I expected!

Sadly the one Panasonic code provided doesn't seem to work with the 110, but you can't have everything I guess!

Ian beat me to it.

The real question is do you like the bass at your main listening position? (the first measurement position of the microphone is considered as the main listening position by Audyssey)
Yes its sounds lovely in my main seating position, its just sounds rubbish at the other end of the room (just so happens that this is wher the other seating is and its wher my mates usually sit and dont seem impressed with my system lol!) never mind i will have too play about with placement and take it out of the corner a bit!

Yes its sounds lovely in my main seating position, its just sounds rubbish at the other end of the room (just so happens that this is wher the other seating is and its wher my mates usually sit and dont seem impressed with my system lol!) never mind i will have too play about with placement and take it out of the corner a bit!

A trick I recall was to place the sub in your listening position (litterally on th sofa!), then walk about the room and see where the bass sounds decent. When you find somewhere, that's where to put the sub. The point being it's a lot easier for you to walk about listening than it is to keep moving the sub about and going back to your sofa to check.

To be honest I never tried this, so not sure how effective it is. But if it works you could quickly create a 'shortlist' of locations that sound good for one position, then try each out from the other end of the room to see which is best?

New firmware just came down for my 1912, anyone know what' in it?

I have my 1912 setup as a video switcher, so I have BD, Tivo (sat/cable) and Wii plugged into the amp, which then sends the video out to my set. Unfortunately the TV doesn't support ARC, so I've run an optical cable back from the TV to the 1912, but this is only used to watch 'Smart' stuff as all the TV is watched via cable.

The remote has also been setup to control the TV, but is just used for powering it on.

Odd thing is, if I use the 1912 remote to power up the TV, then power up the amp using either its own button or the 'Sat/Cable' button, the amp comes on and plays the cable channel for about ten seconds then flips over to the TV channel. I'm guessing it's auto-switching because it detects a signal on the optical, is there anything I can do to disable this, as it's annoying to have to wait ten seconds all the time then switch back to what you want to watch.

Also curious as to what today's firmware changes/fixes. Only had the unit a couple of weeks, am I to take it Denon can be added to the list of manufacturers who just spit out firmware updates without giving even a clue what it's for? God I hate it when they do that (I'm looking at you Samsung).

edit: Versions shown by status are now the following:

Code:
AVR-1912 E2/EA
Firm. Ver:	0003
Main:		01150034
Main FBL:	00.16
DSP:		64.22
Audio PLD:	06.04
OSD:		49120025
Ethernet FBL:	090311-bd
Ethernet IMG:	I201112050751

Last edited:
No but ive just got it as well and would be interested in knowing too.

Just saw it this morning as well, the DENON site is terrible with the firmware update change-logs. I can't even seem to get access. I've always been a little uncomfortable doing firmware updates incase something goes wrong. Hopefully someone can figure out if its worth it.

jdsmoothie over at AVS has very kindly relayed some details on the firmware update we received today:

Code:
- Firmware update impossible, error message "Connection Fail 25"
- Countermeasure of the Podcast play defect in Internet radio.
- Ethernet connectivity issues
- Incorrect network behavior
- Black display when iPod is replaced
- Video signal (0-255) doesn't do HDMI pass through
- "XT" does not display on front panel after running AUTO SETUP
- Improvement in firmware update download time
- USB connectivity issue (interaction with DM860 SubAssy)

Last edited:
I was at the end of my tether with the 1912 and planned to take it back tomorrow. I'd been in contact with Denon UK support and they were no help with the network problems I had - never heard of it, must be faulty etc...

Have done this update and it looks like the Ethernet/network issues addressed in this firmware might have fixed it! ;)

Will do more testing in a bit. Shame Denon support and their software engineers don't talk to one another!

Ive got the 2312 but im pretty sure itll be the same as far as my question is concerned.

Is there any way to get the info to pop up like it does when you select an input without having to reselect it. I thought there would be a call or info button on the remote but i cant find anything.
Cheers
Scott

Hi,

I would really like my AVR to scrobble the music I listen to. I have entered my username and password into the Last.FM screen in the menu, but as I don't have a subscription it doesn't let me past to the next screen.

Is there any way to make it scrobble songs I listen to without a subscription? My Android phone and laptop can do this, so it surely should be possible.

Thanks for any help.

Im having the Airplay issues, I set the amp up on Saturday and im really impressed just cant get Airplay to show up on my iPad 1 or the wifes iPad2,this is a bit of a problem as that was one of the reasons I used to persuade the wife to have it was she could play her crappy music directly to it (while im out), I have the De Remote App on my iPad and it works great straight away every time, the Airplay icon did show up once and it streamed very well but since it hasnt worked, The iPads are on the latest firmware and my wireless router is a D-Link DIR-615 which it a N router, I have installed the latest firmware on the Denon and all other network related things work perfect, any suggestions would be greatly recieved.

Cheers Dean.

Im having the Airplay issues, I set the amp up on Saturday and im really impressed just cant get Airplay to show up on my iPad 1 or the wifes iPad2

Just to be clear, when you've got the iPad running the music app, you should see the little Airplay button on the top right next to the volume slider. You need to make sure the amp is on and both the amp and the iPad are connected to the same WiFi network.

Try using the Denon remote app. That allows you to both control the amp and stream music to it. If nothing else, it makes it very clear whether the amp is showing on the network or not.

Hi thanks for the replies, Yes the amp is on and the Airplay icon did show up on the top right once and I was able to stream music but since that one occasion it hasnt showed up again, the amp is wired directly to my wireless router and the iPads are also connected to this router, the DeRemote App Purchased from the app store works perfect I can control the amp with it Ian are you using this app or the free one? as I cant seem to stream my music with the DeRemote app
Thanks again

Dean.

Just a quick update installed the free denon app and I can control the amp but the iPod player only plays sound through the iPad not through the amp and can't see the option to send it to the amp, any more ideas anyone??
Cheers dean

Hi,

Is there any way to make it scrobble songs I listen to without a subscription? My Android phone and laptop can do this, so it surely should be possible.

The last.fm subscription covers listening to last.fm radio, rather than scrobbling what you're listening to. If you want to scrobble what you listen to, then you're probably going to have to use something like Itunes and airplay to send music to the Denon. The last.fm app on the itunes pc should track your choices.

Just a quick update installed the free denon app and I can control the amp but the iPod player only plays sound through the iPad not through the amp and can't see the option to send it to the amp, any more ideas anyone??
Cheers dean

I use the free version with a very similar setup to you. i.e. my amp is hard wired to the router, and the iPad (or iPhone actually in my case) is on the LAN via wifi.

Occationally the sound comes out of the phone rather than the app, but clicking on the airplay icon and selecting the Denon sorts it out.

I've also had a few instances where the amp doesn't seem to switch input when it should, so I end up with silence. Pressing the 'net/USB' source button sorts it out. Note, if you have deleted that source in the Denon setup that will disable airplay.

Other than that, I have read that if the router doesn't properly route uPnP traffic it can cause issues with these sorts of system, but haven't investigated it myself.

Just tried to use my Wii for the first time since doing the firmware update and it seems component video isn't being routed to the HDMI out anymore. I get the sound, but no picture. Checked the connections and setup several times and can't see anything wrong, so I'm suspicious of the update. Can someone else who has updated check this for me?

Just tried to use my Wii for the first time since doing the firmware update and it seems component video isn't being routed to the HDMI out anymore. I get the sound, but no picture. Checked the connections and setup several times and can't see anything wrong, so I'm suspicious of the update. Can someone else who has updated check this for me?

Ahh, a bit more googling around and I found other people with the same issue from December, so not a new issue in this firmware but a known issue they've failed to fix.

Power cycling sorted it out.

Hi Ian,
Thanks for the advice, I don't get the airplay icon on my iPad at all now, could you let me know what source you have the amp on to stream music from your iPad to the amp? I thought you could stream while on any source and it would just override it, do you find this or do you have to have a certain source selected.
Cheers dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom