Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2312 - Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Undercover82, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,645
    Why not just buy the 3312? You can pick one up for under £600:
    DENON AVR-3312 || Denon AVR3312 AVLAND UK information, pictures & spec for the

Where are you supposed to get hold of an AVR3311?
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,645
    Sorry. Yes, a typo :blush:
  4. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Good ...because I just splashed out around the same price a few days ago so didn't wanna see under £500 mentioned anywhere!
  5. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,645
    I've seen them for £267.94 :p
  6. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    :laugh: :smashin:
  7. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
  8. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,645
    Still doesn't explain where he was going to get an AVR3311 from?
  9. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    I expect he'd know as he seemed to think he could get one.
  10. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ur quite correct. I have checked and there are no 3311 available so i intend to go for the 2312 which ticks all my boxes. Just gutted i didnt get one at the start of the month when denons offer was on for £400. Richers sounds website is applying the pressure saying there are only a few remaining and to check for condition etc. i dont really want to get the 3312 as although i can afford it there are so many features that i dont need that i might as well save the £130 or so and just get what i need.
  11. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    RESULT !!!! my local rs have agreed to do it for 399! So i know what i will be doing this weekend! Setup & calibration. Roll on HD audio!!!
  12. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,645
    or looking for the missing mic or remote :D

Seriously, make sure they are selling you an unopened box and not an ex demo model ;)
  13. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    ;)

Well collected earlier and box looks fresh, no dodgy sellotaping. Will inspect inside closely. If theres any monkey business it'll be going back to the shop. But lets be optimistic!! :)
  14. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes u can edit all the names! My names are all edited!
  15. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Any advice guys on first time setup and sequence order.

Should i check for firmware upgrades first and get that done before running setup/ calibration or will it want to run calibration as soon as i swich it on?

Should i have all my speakers and devices connected before switching on for the first time?

Just wanting to know from ur experiences if there is a wrong way to do things....thanks
  16. redsuzuki

redsuzuki Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I connected my speakers and any other cables such as hdmi up before turning anything on.
    When you plug in the mic (under the plastic cover front rh side) it will start the auto speaker setup routine.
    The 1 thing you may want to change is the size it allocates to your front speakers (from large to small) if you have a sub attached.
    I did update the firmware after doing the above and after registering the unit on Denons website.
    6 days on from getting mine im still altering and setting up but loving every moment
  17. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeh just hook it all up, run the wizard and have fun tinkering.

Update the firmware later. Although it would make sense to do it first, on first boot up it automatically goes straight into the setup wizard.
  18. JagsS

JagsS Member

Ratings:
    +49
    The amp should recognise the need to upgrade the firmware when first switched on as long as Ethernet cable is connected.

I upgraded after setting up with no problems.

Connect all your speakers up including subwoofer before entering auto setup.

Once setup the auto wizard will direct you to insert setup mic and follow onscreen instructions to calibrate/test each speaker by using upto 8 different listening points. I moved my sofa out of the way and used a high chair (at listening height) to place the mic onto. I calibrated 6 listening points as recommend on the audessy website.

Once all listening points were tested i saved the settings which were calculated and stored them on the amp.

Then i setup all my sources.
    Bluray player
    DVD player
    Media Player
    Sky HD Box
    Xbox.

The xbox and sky box were linked via optical and all other sources by hdmi as i use these sources often without the amp switched on.

I'm very impressed with the amp and now enjoy listening to it through my Mordant Short Genie speakers.

Thanks for all the tips and helpful advice on these forums.

Jags
  19. martind22

martind22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help Just upgraded my old Denon to a new avr 2312 I am using an over head projector with no HDMI connections so am using Component cables as I did with my old Denon but I can not get a picture out of the monitor component connection on the back of the Denon
  20. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Just turned on my receiver and looks like they've released a new firmware today. Took 6 mins to download. Here's the complete changelog taken from the Denon site:

changelog of AVR2312
    Main 00.95
    Improvement of DPMS update.
    Changed the default Internet radio station of PRESET CHANNEL3 from "1.fm Classical Musick" to "98.1 Klassik Radio FM".

Main:00.94
    Incorrect network behavior reported by Control4 programmer.

Coding in XML document with wrong Symbols.

Improvement of the error processing in DPMS.
    Correction of AMX VIALL command.
    Countermeasure of GUI defect in 1080i video.
    Countermeasure of DM860 NAND Read Disturb.
    Improvement of download time in DPMS.
    Countermeasure of the Podcast play defect in Internet radio.
    Countermeasure of problem concerning possibility of not operating correctly, when area of CNE increases and decreases.
    Countermeasure of play defect of m4a file in WMP12.

Main 00.92
    The Trigger Out does not function when the following inputs are selected:GAME 2 & Tuner.
    When becoming Standby mode if Network Standby is set to On, DM860 is reset.

So, can anyone explain what the DPMS is?
    And who cares about an internet radio station preset?
  21. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Great! Well done Denon, thanks for resetting all my settings!

Guys, back your settings up to a config file via the web browser before you proceed with the update.
  22. JagsS

JagsS Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Undercover how do you backup the settings to a config file via the web browser?
  23. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Type in the av receiver's IP address into your web browser and this will bring up the web interface. Click on Setup Menu and then click on Save. From there just follow the onscreen instructions. It's fairly simple.
  24. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Jags, if you don't get it done, don't worry about it. Turned out all it reset in the end was the level settings which I had customised, and the preset savings that correspond to the preset buttons on the remote. I had to manually set those up again but I shouldn't have had to really.
  25. Paulclane

Paulclane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm brand new to the forum and brand new to Denon too!. I picked up my AVR3212 on Friday and set it up over the weekend, which was handy enough. A few issues have shown up since yesterday though:

My Sky HD box in sat/Cbl was fine but now intermittant, I have to unplug/reconnect the HDMI cable to bring it back. The HD box works fine through my TV
    The "AVR2312" that was displayed on my Sharp Aquos 46" (top right corner, shows which input is connected on TV), now just displays "BD". (The TV displays "SKYHD" and "XBOX360" when they are directly connected).

The sound is OK, but with my very old Sony DTS amp sound jumped out more and handled low volumes much better, I'm sure I will figure it out soon

One other thing happening now: keeps saying "assigning Network" on USB/net setting, seems stuck in loop

Are they all this glitchy?

Why does the menu only come up sometimes?

Is it just me?
  26. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    That's odd, have you tried a full power cycle of both amp and TV? Unplug both from mains then reconnect.

Dodgy HDMI cable perhaps? Use another HDMI cable from amp to TV just to rule this out.

Let me just ask though, did you rename the inputs on your TV or does it recognise what kit is connected to it and renames the input accordingly? Just slightly confused by your description.

You've not set it up correctly. Either that or you just set your old amp up incorrectly and just gotten used to that sound so just prefer that sound?

Try tweaking the sound yourself. Turn off Audyssey and see if you prefer it then..

It'll do this when you switch to this input whilst it connects to your router and obtains an internet connection. Should only take a few seconds though. I've heard some amps are more picky with what routers they're connected to - although i've not had any problems with mine connected to a Sky Netgear Router, Asus RT-N16 Router and also my TP-Link switch. What's your internet connection like?

Have you tried connecting directly to your modem to see if that improves things? If so you know where the weak link is.

No, although they're not perfect.

After you've selected an input on the remote, you need to press the AMP button again on the remote, to put the remote back into AMP mode - otherwise it thinks you want it in the mode for whichever input you have selected - so for example it's trying to display the menu for the BD player as opposed to the AMP.

If you're having so many problems then take it back and get it swapped, or test it again in the shop.
  27. Paulclane

Paulclane Member

Ratings:
    +0
    F-e-c-k, I spent the last 20 minutes writing a really long reply and then hit "submit" and the page just came back with "un-registered" I can't be @rsed to type it all again, but thanks for your help undercover, much appreciated.

And I normally hit ctrl + C before I submit!

Bummer
  28. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just downloading my update now!!
  29. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Mines still sitting in the box :( from thursday night!!
    Have had other things to deal with as heating is bust and house is like a fridge. Spending time at families whose homes r warm !!

Hopefully will get it installed tonight. Have split my front speaker cables (they were long runs) and waiting on some more banaana plugs to arrive to biamp fronts
  30. Ravenik

Ravenik Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a question if the most recent firmware solves the problem with no GUI appearing for USB/Net source? I would like to buy AVR-2312 but this reported issue makes me hesitate. I would spend most time listening to music from Internet radio and from USB or UPnP server. If there is still no GUI for USB/Internet radio, then maybe I will choose to wait for xx13 series.