Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2312 - Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Undercover82, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    hp yeh I know about that but this isn't anything to do with what mode the remote is in. Even when you change the volume you get no display on the monitor - only on the unit itself. It seems the GUI becomes disables until a power cycle from mains.
  2. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmmmm. That sucks balls then.

Think i need to get off these forums. Scares me into thinking mine will have issues

Know I read somewhere there is a known issue where the GUI doesn't display in a certain mode, in which case you have to take your amp to a denon authorised place to get it fixed
  3. EasySimon

EasySimon Member

Ratings:
    +0

Heres the update and Yeehaa Im happy. Bought a Netgear N300 router and voilla, no more freezing up.
    I must confess Eaglemmoomin I did have my doubts that it would fix it as the old Maplins generic router has run for years with all sorts of devices attached with never a problem.
    I have just spent the last 24 hrs trying to get the 2312 to freeze switching sources constantly and it works a treat now. Faster interaction with iPhone remote and web page too.
    Im very happy in fact. The AV now seems to work well in every way and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. A quality piece of kit at a very good price now.
    Once again thanks for the help. Forums work wonders. I shall ring the bloke I spoke to at Denon and let him know what it was so that he can hopefully help others who dont come across this forum as I did. I shall also tell him to give Eaglemmoomin a job.:thumbsup:
    All the best, Simon
  4. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Setup my new Denon AVR2312 with Q Acoustics 7000 speakers over the weekend, and after watching a movie and a bit of battlefield on the PS3 all i can say is it sounds awesome!

All works really well and quite easy to setup, even Airplay worked first time... :smashin:

One question i do have that i know people have mentioned in other threads, i've got my PS3 (fat/original version) set to output sound over the HDMI in LPCM which i think is correct but my Denon is displaying Dolby Digital when playing a game, shouldn't it display something else or is that only when HD audio is received?
  5. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    good question. One i'd like to know too
  6. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Does yours do the same?
  7. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,951
    What are owners views on 3d playback? I am considering upgrading from a 2310 to 2312 to allow me to watch 3D Blus and Sky HD in 3D too.....
  8. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I watched the spurs v man city game and arsenal v man utd earlier in 3d and it was very good!
  9. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,951
    Was that on Sky Sports 3D or did you manually change it to 3D via the remote?
  10. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No they were both on the Sky3D channel. 2d to 3d conversion isn't that great, proper 3d broadcast is much better!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will check my ps3 settings for you tomorrow when my friend gives me it back! Old fatboy playstations convert only convert hd audio sources themselves so it should show on your multi ch not Dolby digital!
  12. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, i understand they only convert HD audio themselves but when they're outputting Dolby Digital (standard) should it still show multi ch or Dolby Digital?
  13. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I was very much set on getting an Onkyo 609 until coming across the price reductions on the 2312 which has tempted me to spend that extra £100 or so and opt for this instead. Seems a great amp from the impressions i've read, and when I have seen a rare review, it's always been matched up against receivers in a much higher price bracket.

The guys in my local Sevenoaks certainly feel it's the much better buy than the Onkyo.

Anyone know of any current deals going that match the previous ones on offer from Richer Sounds (£400) or otherwise?
  14. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I got mine from Peter Tyson for £440 with a 3 year guarantee and very pleased with their service :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh what!

How long ago was that? Appears to be at £479.99 at Peter Tyson right now.. :(

edit -

In fact I just checked with them and they've said they never sold it at £440. Did you mean somewhere else?
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  16. Newspapertaxi

Newspapertaxi Member

Ratings:
    +183
  17. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yea and it seems the reason that one is cheaper is because its ex-display.

Quite annoying!
  18. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Below is a part of my invoice from last week, maybe it was because i got it as part of a deal with the q acoustic speakers?

Sales Invoice
    Peter Tyson
    6 Abbey Street
    Carlisle
    Cumbria
    CA3 8TX
    Tel : 01228 546756
    Fax : 01228 549253[/LEFT]
    E&OE Full terms available on request. VAT No Vat.257 3318 55
    Delivery Address :

Sales Invoice Date/Tax point 17/ 1/12
    Sales Invoice Number 349875
    Reference No AS/ 391805
    Rep Product Description ReqrdOn Stat Unit Qty Price

AVR2312B DENON DOLBY DIGITAL RECEIVER - BLACK Gone BN 439.90 1 439.90
    The above item carries a three year guarantee.

Q7000BLACK Q ACOUSTICS Q7000 AV SPEAKER SYSTEM - BLACK Gone BN 699.90 1 699.90
    Q7000ST Q ACOUSTICS SPEAKER STANDS - BLACK GLOSS Gone BN 120.00 2 240.00
    MICRO QED MICRO SPEAKER CABLE Gone BN 0.00 40 0.00
    MPSW3M QED PERFOMANCE MINI SUB CABLE 3M Gone BN 0.00 1 0.00[/LEFT]
    The above item carries a three year guarantee.
    WEB BN 0.00 1 0.00
    PLEASE KEEP THE PACKAGING IN THE EVENT OF GOODS BEING RETURNED
    FOR SERVICING OR REPAIR NEEDS.[/LEFT]
    DPD 1550 1027 138715 - 138718 BN 0.00 1 0.00
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
  19. barongimpy

barongimpy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Cool, thnx for the info..

I'll see what they say.
  20. daniel james

daniel james Member

Ratings:
    +4
    no worries, good luck! :smashin:
  21. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Lorty, i have some info for you. First things first just in case you didn't know - Audyssey settings are saved per source - they're not global. So be sure you're checking the Audyssey settings for the same source when you're making the comparison. I actually love the fact that the Audyssey settings aren't global because i've set it up so that when i'm watching Sky it uses Dynamic Volume, and when i shift source to PS3 it switched Dynamic Volume off as i don't want it when playing games. For me this is a god send. Basically all it means is that whichever source you're playing, you need to go into the menu and check that it's using the correct Audyssey settings you want it to. Don't think just because you switched Dynamic Volume on for HDMI1 (for example) that it applies to HDMI2 - because it doesn't. I haven't tested it with surround parameters but you can test that.

Furthermore, I was playing around with the settings yesterday and also learnt something about the remote. You know the four preset buttons on the remote - well by default they're configured with a certain set of parameters and settings. Can't remember exactly what each preset button is for, but i think preset 1 is something like BD Player, Preset 2 is Game 1, etc etc. Whatever they are anyway, they also store settings such as Audyssey settings. I'm just wondering whether you're using the Preset buttons at any point as these will also change your Audyssey setting. What i would do if i was you (this is what i've also done too and it's fantastic) put your most common source on, set the settings to how you would want them, then store all of that under one of the preset buttons - just keep the preset button pressed then it will show on-screen that it has saved the settings. So now you've basically got four presets - or put another way, a shortcut to four of your favourite set of settings.

As an example, my presets do the following:

Preset 1
    Switch source to Sky HD
    Switch Dynamic Volume to Midnight

Preset 2
    Switch source to Sky HD
    Switch Dynamic Volume to Off

Preset 3
    Switch source to PC
    Switch Dynamic Volume to Midnight

Preset 4
    Switch source to PC
    Switch Dynamic Volume to Off

Of course there are many other settings that are saved along with the above too, but the above are the only ones i've highlighted here as that's all that i want changing - the other parameters remain the same.

Hope all that makes sense - you have a quick fire way of calling back your favourite settings now. :clap:
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  22. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks undercover! I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow! :)
  23. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Spent all evening yesterday watchign everything through the speakers for the first time...trully awesoem bit of kit. Well happy.

Just gutted as my AV stand ahsn't arrived today. Ordered it on Thursday from Richer sounds and even paid for next 1-3 days delivery but when i got the confirmation email it said it'll take 4 days. If it'd known that i'd have just gone for the free option
  24. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For ps3 question above

keyweez360

AVR-1712 here and I'm wondering about the display. When playing transformers 3 for instance, the receiver reads "DOLBY D". The movie has a 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio track (though I'm only set up for 5.1), so I'm wondering why it doesn't say Dolby HD or something. Is that how it is, or have I set something wrong?

I'm using a PS3 w/ HDMI and the audio output set to bitstream.

JChin
    AVS Special Member

Hi keyweez360, is the PS3 slim or fat? Suggest checking Blu Ray disc audio or language menu. Most likely it defaulted to the standard Dolby Digital 5.1 track, so you might have to manually select the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 soundtrack.

keyweez360

It is a fat 40gb PS3. Having done some reading now (should have in the first place) it is my understanding that the fat PS3s, while still supportive of HD audio via LPCM, will not display as such on an hd receiver. I've since set my PS3 to LPCM instead of Bitstream, which is what I'm assuming I have to do to enjoy full HD sound.

The movie is also set to be playing 7.1 TrueHD, I made sure of that

That all correct?

JChin
    AVS Special Member

Correct.
  25. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone confirm if the denon supports standby pass thru of hdmi devices, specifically sky hd? Many tanks

Have read manual but closest thing i see is something called source standby....not quite sure what that means
  26. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    My 1912 supports pass through, but I have not tried it with Sky HD.
  27. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What device is it letting pass thru? Is it hdmi cec compliant or not, like sky hd?
  28. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    It has passed through my Virgin TiVo, my Sony Blu Ray player and PS3.
  29. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Do u know if the virgin tivo is hdmi control enabled?
  30. daveb975

daveb975 Active Member

Ratings:
    +159
    I am not sure unfortunately. I use a Harmony remote, so don't use any of that stuff.