Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2312 - Owners' Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Undercover82, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hello all,

Don't think there are any 2312 owners on here but I know a few are looking to buy this so I thought it would be ideal to start an owners’ thread.

Purchased my receiver last weekend from Richer Sounds but only got round to taking it out the box 2 nights ago.

Receiver is currently connected to x5 Mission 70 speakers and a BK XLS200 DF sub. Floor is concrete and speakers are all in ideal positions with the exception of the rear surrounds which are a little higher up than i would have liked. Receiver connects to a Panasonic TX-P50ST30 which I also purchased this week - in a word, it's amazing!

Current sources feeding the receiver are a Sky HD box and a HTPC I’ve built.

Just to give a little background in regards to what I’ve come from, the setup in this room prior to this week was a Yamaha DSP-AX620 Amplifier, x5 Mission 70 speakers and a Yamaha YST-SW160 sub.

So what's the Denon like?
    Out of the box it's a pretty lush piece of kit - certainly when compared to the Onkyos. I'd say the Pioneers probably look the best but the Denon still has a sense of elegance about it.

Setup was straight forward as per every other receiver - connect all the speaker wires where they need to, a HDMI feed plus optical from Sky box to receiver (CBL/SAT), HDMI from HTPC to receiver (i chose GAME2 input - later renamed to PC), and then just the one HDMI feed from receiver (MONITOR OUT) to HDMI 2 on the rear of the Panasonic (note HDMI 2 is the ARC connector, not HDMI 1).

First things first - my setup is nowhere near setup properly yet as i didn't have sufficient tools (i.e. mic stand for calibration mic) so did the easy method of resting it on a stack of pillows. :nono: Yeh i know what you're thinking but it was approaching midnight on Friday and I just wanted a quick fix for demo purposes. So anyway, switched all the kit on, the receiver first runs through some basic questions - language, etc. Then proceeds to Audyssey setup wizard where it guides you through the process taking up to 8 readings around the listening position - I only took 3 for quickness and skipped the rest. The GUI by the way is very nice - nice soft colours, easy to read and understand, Denon logo in the background - certainly better than Onkyos.

Won't bore you with the details of the menus and settings you can make - it's all there in the downloadable manual if you really want to know everything - but I would just like to say that they are quite extensive and certainly there's a lot there to keep you faffing about for a bit if you're the type like me who like's that kind of stuff. Last year I bought an Onkyo TX-SR608 which i found quite limited/bland in terms of menus/settings - the Onkyo and Denon are worlds apart. I suspect the 609 is very similar to the 608.

Moving on, the Audyssey setup wizard did a pretty good job of setting the speakers up. The distance measurements were spot on, the Missions all set to small and filter out at 80Hz. The sound is also a lot more urm (how do i put this) musical perhaps. Ok I’m comparing to a 7/8 year Yamaha receiver which was good back in its day. The speakers now sound like they have an improved top end- something I always felt they lacked before on the Yamaha - but in its defence it didn't allow for EQ of any speakers. So yeh, the Audyssey MultEQ XT on the Denon has done its job pretty well - at least to my satisfaction anyway. And all this from 3 poxy readings taken with the mic balanced on a stack of pillows.
    I also like that Audyssey MultEQ XT on the Denon allows you to delve in further and view a graphical chart of how it has EQ'd/curved each individual speaker. I must admit I am quite impressed. Also how the BK sub has integrated with the Missions very well. On this note though, I would also like to point out that I did manually increase the sub level (by about +3db) after Audyssey did its thing because I felt it needed a bit more bass - this is just how I like my listening. After a little more playing about I experimented with turning Audyssey off and the sound was just so flat! What else I also like is that you can manually tweak the EQ that Audyssey calculates from the calibration. There's an option to copy the curve, and then if you prefer, you can manually edit a 9-way frequency band EQ (yes 9-way!) of every single speaker. You can do all the speakers together, or fronts as a group and the rears as a separate group, or each speaker individually - there's certainly a lot you can play with here. So getting the sound how you want it shouldn't be a problem.

Don't really know where else to go with this review from here as I’ve not had much time to play with the 2312 yet - but initial impressions are that I am a very proud owner. I have tested a few movie scenes (War of the Worlds is always a good one, Transformers too) and the amp certainly hits hard. There's plenty of muscle in reserve - it is good! :thumbsup:

Oh and i love the fact the fact that you can access the 2312's setup menus via a web browser on your PC/laptop. The online GUI admittedly is quite boring but on the positive it's very simple - with drop-down lists and radio buttons. All the settings can be done from there if you don't want to do them on the Amp. I'm old-school (I’m only 29 BTW) in the sense that I quite like this boring/simple approach - it's very easy to see what you're doing - and you can also see/hear the changes take place on the receiver's display and on the monitor in real time. The ability to save the whole configuration is a very nice addition too because it gives you the re-assurance of knowing that if you've made too many changes or mucked it up too much, or let’s face it, you every have to reset the receiver, you can restore all the settings from the backup.
    It also notified me of an update last night too - this downloaded and installed fine without any hiccups - only took the best part of 15 minutes too like it stated on its display.

ARC works seamlessly with my Panasonic Plasma, when i switch the Plasma to TV (as opposed to HDMI feed from the Denon) say for example if I want to watch Freeview - the receiver automatically plays the TVs sound through the receiver. If i switch the receiver off, the TV automatically unmutes and resumes audio. Likewise, switching the TV off automatically switches the receiver off too.

Overall, I am very impressed by this piece of kit. Some of you who have been kindly helping me over these past couple of weeks know that I was considering the Onkyo 609 as too. From my experience with a 608 previously, i already knew what i was going to get with the Onkyos I wanted to try something different. When the 2312 came into the same price range as the 609, it caught my attention straight away. So i downloaded the user manual and had a read - my heart was set on the Denon. I couldn't find any online reviews of the 2312, and there isn't anything concrete on here too. I also went against the recommendation of Richer Sounds - who told me to go with the 609.

In the end, I’m glad i stuck with what i wanted. Not a single regret at all. :thumbsup: I know that if i got the Onkyo 609 - i always would have had it in the back of my mind that i should have gone with the Denon. I paid £400 for the Denon - quite a bargain I think.

For any of you guys who want to ask any questions from an owner’s point of view - feel free to ask. I am more than happy to help.

No doubt i shall be back soon with more findings. I have only briefly played about with it yet. I’d also like to hear what it’d sound like with some full-range speakers.
    I also need to run a proper calibration. :lesson:

Bye for now.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. Newspapertaxi

Newspapertaxi Member

Ratings:
    +183
    A good read - thanks
    I've recently bought myself a Samsung UE55 8000 TV so am looking to upgrade my Onkyo 605 and, like you, have spent the best part of a fortnight deciding whether I go for an Onkyo 609 or something different. As soon as the 2312 became available at Richer Sounds at that price I have been scouring the web for reviews with no luck. I've got a "special" birthday in 3 weeks so will be looking to take the plunge then (if the relatives are generous) - I just hope that the low price holds on the 2312 if that's the way I go
    Keep us posted :smashin:
  3. Scotty Pro

Scotty Pro Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent review of this amp, was looking to get one myself but it seems RS is now sold out :(

Might wait a while and see if any of the other dealers drop their prices, CES is coming up shortly and the dealers tend to drop their prices a bit whilst the new stuff filters through.
  4. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers guys. I've already had a lot of exposure to the Onkyo TX-SR608. I suspect it's not too different to the TX-NR609 - in all aspects. So certainly, based on sound performance at least i can say you won't go wrong whichever way you go - 609 or 2312.

If the Denon can still be had for £400 then all round, the Denon without a doubt gives you a lot more for your money - in every way possible. I'm not knocking the Onkyos at all, just pound for pound the 2312 wins.
  5. montys1

montys1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Undercover, Snap, I took the plunge last week as well - I bought a 2312 from Richer Sounds New Years Day. I upgraded from a Denon 1910 which was great, but the Richer Sounds price was too good an offer to pass up (cost less than my 1910!).
    I found the GUI as you say clear and easy on the eye, a massive difference to ye olde black and white menus of olde. Although finding all the options was tricky at first until you get used to the layout.
    The Audyssey side of things I did with my camera tripod, 8 settings - no problems at all (same with the 1910 only it offers 8 positions now as opposed to 6). All the measurements and crossovers seemed fine - tried it out with CD's, Book of Eli Blu-Ray (True HD), Itunes via Airplay, PS3 and 360 and very happy with the sound and picture. Firmware updated no problem within half an hour of it being turned on. A great replacement for the 1910. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally bought mine on Friday, and had to go into work on Saturday to get a cab to get it home (cab fare on Friday rush hour would have been mental)

Speakers will be kef 3000 series, although I've not got the top set with the round sub and 3001 model centre - Will upgrade the centre a funds allow

Biggest problem at the mo is fitting in the receiver - I DID have a plan. Unfortunately the plan looked better in my head than in reality

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm gutted ive had mine on order from Richer Sounds for about 2 weeks now at the price of £399 and it still isnt in stock yet. Just sold my Denon AVR 1610 today to make room for it. I was considering the Onlyo 609 but I think this amp has more to offer and is worth the wait. Not quite sure why there hasnt been any reviews on it because it does seem very popular on here.

Nice to finally see it getting some praise!! Hope mine comes into stock soon cant stand normal sound through television speakers now :)

Does anyone know why they are so hard to come by?
  8. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The sale prices have helped. And AV forums is quite well kown. I'm guessing loads have been on here during xmas/new year and came to the same conclussion (to buy that over others like Onkyo) and they're selling out
  9. croydontwitcher

croydontwitcher Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Made a snap decision yesterday to upgrade to the Denon AVR-2312. Had a Sony STR-DA1200 before and although only set up in a couple of hours yesterday, the sound alone blows the Sony away.

As well as getting fed up with things like lack of HDMI audio pass-though on the Sony (too many wires/connectors as a result), I recently moved all of my music to iTunes in the Cloud so my amp is therefore truly at the heart of my system now. Needless to say, the quality shines through in music as well as Dolby Digital through other sources.

I will only use Airplay through Apple TV so that feature doesn't matter to me, plus the lack of a wireless LAN connector is a bit odd.

I was pleased to get it on the £399 deal from Richer Sounds, and in truth, that swayed the decision to buy there and then (I normally research things for ever).

Just need to do some more tweaks here and there and update the Logitech Harmony remote now.

Any suggestions on the best way to sell the old Sony?
  10. Newspapertaxi

Newspapertaxi Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Have phoned the Nottingham RS and they tell me they only have one 2312 left but it's an ex display model - still priced at £399.
    Hmmm....... do I or don't I? :confused:
  11. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    croydontwitcher, the Sony STR-DA1200ES is still a pretty good receiver you know. I have this receiver too and I still think it's brilliant at movies. I'm not looking to get rid of mine as it serves me very well in the bedroom. You are right though, the lack of audio decoding via HDMI is a bummer. Back then I think we needed to step up to the 2400ES to get that. Hang on to it though, it'd be worth more to you as a spare setup as opposed to what you'd probably get on the bay.
  12. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    newspapertaxi, I wouldn't pay the asking price for an ex-display model even if it is in brand-new condition - just out of principle. In the same sense that they would charge you a restocking fee if you took a brand new item back just because you opened the box.

I'm sure you can still get them brand new for not much more - didn't someone say the next cheapest was going for around £410 + postage?
  13. Newspapertaxi

Newspapertaxi Member

Ratings:
    +183
    I don't like the idea of ex display anyway. My only thought was to chance my arm at getting them to throw in their 5 year super cover (roughly £35 for free). Still doesn't beat the thrill of opening a box and getting out your brand spanking new toy though :D
  14. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Called RS in Glasgow today and they said that it had now went to a special stock order. Meaning I probably wouldnt get the amp untill Febuary.

Called Sevenoaks who were selling them at £479 and they apparantly have loads of stock. Tried to get a deal off the guy as I'm buying two but wouldnt budge at all on price which was a bit crap. TBH if I hadnt been so desperate for one I would have left it cause of his attitude. Left a deposit and they come in on Wednesday. I pick it up on Thursday so I'll be reposting then after I install.
  15. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Newspapertaxi - agreed. That's a good idea though if you can get the 5 year cover for free. That would make it worthwhile.
  16. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Lorty - shame you're having to spend so much more considering only a week earlier you would have saved £160. You will be pleased with the receivers though.
  17. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    EMail from RS to say my speakers should be here tomorrow

Now only if I could find a small shef unit type thingymajig to put the damn thing on
  18. amr42

amr42 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, been beating my head against this brickwall for some time now... AVR will tell me there's a firmware update available. I say 'go ahead - do the update'. It sticks at "Authenticating..."

I just CANNOT get my 2312 to do a successful firmware update. Tried everything - put AVR in DMZ, port fowarding on appropriate ports. Nothing! At the weekend I resorted to connecting it directly to my cable modem and it got a lot further (Did Main, Sub, GUI, Ether SBL, ...) but then failed and got stuck in a loop of 'Update Retry' resets power, etc.

Finally got AVR back to life, but the experience definately cost me some grey hairs!

So - my Q: Who knows how to get this thing to do a successful firmware update?

MONTYS1?

Thanks,

A
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  19. montys1

montys1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having grief with the amp. Mine just updated on its own without any encouragement from me. I just unpacked the amp and followed the wizard set up - did all the calibration etc. Plugged in an ethernet cable and minutes later bingo. Can't think why yours is not having it.:confused:
  20. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope mine's okay when i finaly turn it on. Haye ti when you look forward to something and it doesn't do what you want.

Bought a WD llive streaming box a month or so ago and was up until 3am the first night just getting it to do the simple thigns i wanted
  21. avboothroyd

avboothroyd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I've reserved a 2312 at RS for collection on Saturday, but I am torn between this and the Marantz 5006 which i can get for about £25 more. Anyone have any experience of which on paper will be better. I appreciate I need to listen to them, but wondered if there are any thoughts?
    Al
  22. avboothroyd

avboothroyd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I should have added that 2ch audio is very important.
  23. jawilson59

jawilson59 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Has anyone got the standby pass through to work with skyhd?
  24. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, I have standby pass-through working with no problems whatsoever. I like that you can nominate a particular HDMI for pass-through, or just leave it as last source in use.
  25. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Something I discovered today which I didn't know was possible but always wanted in a receiver. This particular receiver let's you set different parameters (channel levels and sub output) for stereo listening, independently to those set for multichannel output. It means that when I'm watching sky movies for example, the receiver plays back in Dolby Digital using the Audyssey settings. Then say I flick to MTV and put it in stereo, it'll use the settings I have set for stereo - basically just set both channels to 0 and increased the sub output as that's how I like my music.

Also the fact that you can also use a separate pair of speakers (floorstanders for example) from the unused channels (in a 5.1 setup) so that when you select stereo it automatically switches to the floorstanders and muted the smaller satellites - this is very clever.
  26. Daddy k

Daddy k Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +541

im looking into getting this amp over the next month.
    am i right in thinking then that i can just put the hdmi from my sky HD+ boxand any others ie ps3 to the denon, then feed it from the denon to the tv. then even with the denon off (in standby) the mrs can just turn the tv and sky box on as normal and all sound and pictures will come through as if it was connected straight to the tv??
  27. Undercover82

Undercover82 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes mate that is correct. Only one feed (HDMI) needed from amp to receiver. Makes it very neat. As I said above too, the amp is very flexible in this regard.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Lortyboy

Lortyboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just to give you all an update.

Got my amp from Sevenoaks on Wednesday as promised by them. First impressions are its fantastic. I notice a huge difference in music quality compared to my Denon AVR 1610 and also functionality.

Airplay is fantastic with the iPhone or iPad and it just works. Couldnt believe going to my computer and opening up itunes clicking the button at the button and the amp was there ready to go nothing to install or do!

I used to use my old amp mainly for home cinema with occasionally playing music but I just seem to be finding myself using it for music playback.

Setting up was really easy but I also had to play with my sub settings to get the bass out a bit. I didnt really like the dynamic volume too much so have turned that off.

Very happy with it now just wanting to start upgrading my speakers as my mordant Short stuff is only 80w.
  29. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Literally setting it up now (got everything connected) but going for a shower before running setup

Quick question for all - When i turn it on, it's not picking up the subwoofer on the fron panel on the amp - al other speakers are lit up in their posistions i.e. front L,R...etc sub nowthing for sub?? anyone else get this too?

Edit:
    Right restart of everything got SW going
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  30. hp1980

hp1980 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Setup was easy enough. Am finding though my menu button doesn't always respond - Control is working as vol up and down ..etc work. Just menu isn't displaying when i press it

Questions

Amp is supposed to upscale to 1080p - My sky HD still shows as 1080i. how do i turn upscaling on?

Answer = Scaling is off by default
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012