1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-2310 Official Owners Thread, Part Two.

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by rousetafarian, May 7, 2010.

1. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hi guys, I noticed that my 2310 is playing sound louder from left speaker than from right speaker, all settings are correct, I did`nt touch any buttons and checked several times....cables are ok....could it be speaker instead...???
    has anybody experienced this kind of thing....
    cheers
    fuzzz
  2. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey New Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    Could be an out of phase issue.
    Have you ran Audyssey/Auto setup to ensure all speakers are setup correctly?
  3. fuzzz

fuzzz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    no I didnt ran auto setup cause i didnt install the surround speakers yet...but earlier theer were no problems at all...strange....I exchange the front speakers and will see...maybe it is an speaker issue...:( or will play with speaker distance
    thanks anyway
  4. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey New Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    Well if you haven't played with the setup then distances and levels for speakers should be fine (well, not different anyway).
    Have you switched the cables on the offending speaker?
  5. Loada

Loada Member

Ratings:
    +46
    You can run the setup without hooking your surrounds up though, can't you?
  6. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys i got question about connecting Wii to Denon 2310 how to do it with componet cable becouse evrything that im getin from it is black&white picture and no sound i connect it to dvd source is that right??
    cheers
  7. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +42
    A while since I set mine up but I think it's something like:

Make sure the audio Red goes with White to the audio input you wish to use. When you select that input on the amp you should hear the audio from the Wii.

Connect video Red with Blue and Green to the Component Video sockets. In the Input Assign Menu, on the row for that audio input, in the [COMP] column set 1-RCA and the others to None.

For Video settings I suggest Video Convert ON and I/P Scaler OFF to reduce lag. In Picture Adjust set to taste - I have Enhancer up to 6.
  8. metalex

metalex Member

Ratings:
    +73
    When I tested various connection/setting combinations, i/p scaler had no impact on lag, positive or negative. To eradicate lag completely you have to switch off Video Convert, which is a problem for the Wii, as you'd have to run a component cable from the 2310 to the TV, which is a bit messy.

If I had a Wii, I think I'd just connect it directly to the TV. The motion controller of the Wii is already inherantly laggy, plus any TV input lag would make it worse. If you throw the lag of the AVR-2310 into the mix, then it would be a nightmare IMO.

These are my results from testing with the XBox: http://www.avforums.com/forums/10729890-post482.html
  9. bino

bino Member

Ratings:
    +1
    have finaly sorted this problem by connecting my ps3 to the amp this allows the whole thing to earth as none of my other equipment (not even the amp) has an earth lead!! but the ps3 does
  10. adhenry

adhenry Member

Ratings:
    +2
    well actually, yes! I haven't been on this site for a while, so sorry for the late response. Now, i'm just a beginner and a far cry away from being an expert on this subject, but here are the notes I wrote for my own benefit to get the most out of my speaker system (specifically stereo speakers and music listening).

If you spot anything that seems way off mark, then please feel free to correct me. But I founf that these tips gathered from all over the place, and some I deduced on my own, really helped me.

----------------------------------------

Howto setup stereo speakers.

There are many web resources detailing stereo speaker setup, but many of them suffer from esoteric methods. There is however, a simpler way, that any wannabee HiFi enthusiast can employ.

You may have a 7.2 Theatre setup with front height speakers that cost a small fortune and trust to Audyssey to do the leg-work, but it's always best to start with the basics. You either have left and right stereo floor speakers or a 2.1 system with smaller bookshelf/satellites and a subwoofer in your setup.

The most important factor for good sound is the initial stereo image from the front speakers.

Stereo Image or Soundstage
    --------------------------

The goal is to obtain good stereo imaging. The ideal is that the distance between the speakers is roughly 85% the distance from either speaker to you. You can do this without a tape measure, but measuring helps in determining the rough distance.

Define your listening position.
    Position the left/right speakers far enough apart so that they are roughly at the 85% mark. It doesn't need to be exact.

Play some music which you know has good stereo seperation (different sounds come from different speakers), turn up the volume reasonably high but not so it's uncomfortable and sit down in the listening position, and close your eyes...

You should be able to hear certain sounds that come distinctly from the left or right speaker, but this will depend heavily on the music you listen to. Listen--focus--on eash speaker in turn, as this helps to determine if certain sounds are really only coming from that speaker. Remember to keep eyes closed as it really helps! There should also be vocals or percussion that come from a position in between the 2 speakers. This is the goal of stereo imaging. If you sway your head from side to side, you should be able to hear that the centre vocals sound to come from further to the left or further to the right depending on which way you move. This is a lot easier to determine with eyes closed.

If you can hear all this then you have good distance between the speakers.

What happens if the setup is wrong?

If the speakers are too close to each other, then _all_ sounds will seem to come from a position in-between the 2 speakers, i.e. it will be hard to tell if a sound is coming from the left or right, and it will all sound centered. Another effect is that the "soundstage" will seem to be focused in a tight arc where the speakers are positioned, and you will not feel as if you are surrounded by sound: you will feel as if you are "outside" the soundstage. When the speakers are positioned far enough apart to get true stereo imaging, you will feel as if the sound is also coming from the sides as well as the front, i.e. you will feel more as if you are "surrounded by sound".

If the speakers are too far away from each other, then you will not get any center sound at all and _all_ sounds will seem to come from either the left or the right speaker, but not from inbetween the speakers.

The Effect of Toe-In
    --------------------

Toe-ing In stereo speakers can alter the stereo image to compensate for speaker distances. If you speakers are too close together due to physical constraints of positioning them, such as having them on a TV bench that is only so wide, then you can skip toe-in (twisting the speakers so that they face you) and instead have them pointing straingt out perpendicular to the back wall). Skipping toe-in in this case will expand the soundstage.

Alternatively, if you have the speakers set further apart so you lose the center stage, you can toe-in the speakers to "draw the stereo image back to the center".

Toe- In can be used in other circumstances and is sometimes a hard recommendation from a speaker manufacturer, but I will not go into that subject here as I have limited experience.

Other recommendations
    ---------------------

Ideally, your speakers should not be against a back wall. Pull them out at least several inches. The closer to the back wall, the more bass heavy they will be, the more resonance you will hear etc. It's not good.

Don't seat yourself so that there is a wall right behind your back. Sound reflections off this wall will muddy the sound. If there is no other choice, then hang a mat on the wall behind your head.

Speaker height can be important. Too low, and you will only get good sound when sat down. As soon as you stand up, you will lose the soundstage. It's best to have the speakers somewhere between sat down and stood up positions. If you buy speakers stands from the same manufacturer as your speakers, then the height will be at the ideal. EDIT: well maybe. Best to determine if you want to hear good music when stood up in a room or if you will always be sat down.

Right, so stereo image is sorted, but what about the subwoofer?

There is a simple yet effective trick to correctly positioning a subwoofer. Put the sub in the position you will mainly listen to music, play a bass heavy soundtrack and move about the room, specifically, stopping in certain positions to listen to the bass effect where you could consider placing the subwoofer. In some positions, you will hear a good, focused/tight bass sound. In other positions you will hear no bass at all. In some positions, like the corners of the room, you may hear thunderous bass. Wherever the bass sounds the most dynamic, least thunderous, and "cleanest" or tightest is the position you should ideally place your subwoofer.

Place the sub in that position then re-listen to the track. If you hear a dull thumping then the sub could be too close to the wall. Pull it out several more inches. When incorrectly placed, bass sounds can sound to reverberate or make dull thumping sounds. The ideal is that bass should sound tight and focused and have a good depth to it instead of a flat thump. It is a difficult thing to explain in words, but when you hear the difference for yourself, you will understand.

The key to speaker placement, whatever your setup, is experimentation. The more you place and re-place your speakers or sub, and re-listen to them, the better idea you will get of whether the stereo image is correct, expansive enough *for your tastes*, whether there is a bass that is dynamic, and tight enough *for your tastes* etc.

Even if you have a 7.1 setup, it is most important to get the position of the 2 fronts and the sub right before proceeding. Only when you are happy with the stereo image should you run Audyssey setup, as Audyssey will not fix bad initial positioning. It will compensate for reflections and maybe standing waves, but will not create a great soundstage or stereo image from badly positioned speakers.

One caveat to stereo imaging: Although the above mentioned is ideal for a specific listening position, you may want to fill a room with sound, no matter the position. If you place 2 speakers at complete opposite ends of a room in the ceiling pointing down, you can acheive this goal, but you will lose true stereo imaging. The advantage however is that you feel more immersed in the music no matter where you are in the room. Unfortunately, this ONLY works for stereo music: If your HiFi setup doubles as your TV speakers/Home Theatre setup for movies, or if you listen to multi-channel music, then this setup is unuseable.

------------------------------------------------

As a said, i may not be right with some of this and would appreciate feedback, but this really helped me to make my system sound better than just plonking all the speakers randomly. The more you re-position and re-test, the more you get an understanding of the differences. It's not something you can really teach with words, I think you've got to experience it yourself to understand.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. davefromcamp

davefromcamp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Harman Kardon AVR 247 that the HDMI quit working. Sound went through but no video of any kind, compent etc. I was thinking about getting the 2600 to replace it. I had an onkyo for almost 10 years that worked great but just neded to be upgraded. So the threads with the HK looked disapointing and the only complaint with the 2310 was a game delay. That would drive me crazy but I don't mind not up converting if that is what I have to do. The older models are now 2310s are <500 where 2311 are 650+. I don't need 3d or 1.4HDMI 2way audio. Seems like a great deal for a mid level avr. I watch movies and games only with this for now. Most is streaming with the WD tv LIVE and eventually net flix. From what I hear it's yamaha v denon like canon v nikon or honda v toyota etc etc. Where hk onkyo and pioneer are next level. I have a samsung dlp and a ps3 wii wd tv live that I use. Has anyone else made a change from hk? I feel most of these are very similar. A lot of the complaints about audio drop outs and weird issues with the hk (and the dact that mine broke) steared me away. Thanks for your comments especially with game success.
  12. JC1001

JC1001 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon all.

bit of an odd one.

Changed the Sky Box to a new TB one , and expected to just unplug the HMIDI and Opitcal cables from old to new and job done.

All is well when I view , so no issues there , and sound is fine with amp on.

Now when I turn it off the HDMI passthrough was set to HDMI1 ( still is ) and the Sky and TV behaved normally , eg picture on TV and sound through TV speakers , amp off.

Now I only get picture , no sound .

Settings have not changed at all on amp.

What am I missing here ?

Any help / suggestions appreciated.
  13. matty2767

matty2767 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    hi all. turned on the amp tonight and it has lost all of my audessy settings. the speaker distances crossovers everything. i had renamed the inputs and it has kept those so it doesnt appear to have fully lost its marbles but i carnt understand why it would have done this. i noticed that it sounded very poor, it is quite apparent the difference setting this unit up. but it is going to take ages to do it all again :(
  14. bino

bino Member

Ratings:
    +1

go in to menu AUTO SETUP ,PARAMETER CHECK, at the bottom of the screen RESTORE if your lucky the amp will have your settins stored

hope this helps
  15. matty2767

matty2767 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    thanks for this. i tried it but nothing. contemplating updating the firmware before i go through resetting it again.
  16. Daveace1

Daveace1 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Bought an ex dem 2310 for £459 this week. Spent 3 hours and another hour before work this morning switching it out for my older Yamaha DSP-ax757se and configuring the Audyssey. I also configured my Harmony One.

I did a quick 3 position setup before bed last night and it completely blew me away. I wasn't expecting to be bang in the middle of a cushy acoustic bubble. The speakers just disappeared and I felt like I was hovering in this new world!

With all my past receivers I have heard the surround effects and thought it was quite good but until hearing the 2310 I never realised what a film should sound like!

I spent 10 minutes watching Coraline on Blu-Ray last night and it sounded amazing. I can't wait to go home and try it tonight after doing a 6 point Audyssey setup :D
  17. Daveace1

Daveace1 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I am thinking of bi-amping the front speakers as it should give a clearer and tighter sound. Should I go through the Audyssey setup again once I have bi-amped the front speakers?

Also, I don't know if I am just imagining things but I think I preferred the sound from only running a 3 point audyssey setup to the 6 point.

Could someone on here explain what the dynamic vol and dynamic EQ do exactly. I have turned off the dynamic vol but kept the dynamic EQ on and I feel this gives me the best sound.

Also, is there a way of turning off just the bright blue TrueHD light on the front of the display but leave the rest of it on?

Many thanks.
  18. GlowingBulb

GlowingBulb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

My 2nd post on here but been reading various threads for a while before I took my 1st step away from my old "cinema-in-a-box"

I picked up a 2310 yesterday from RS, these are on VIP for £450 so it seemed pretty good value (with the exception of the local Richer Sounds shop in Stockport who were so unhelpful & uninterested that I refused to give them my money & bought from Manchester instead :thumbsdow )

Hopefully it'll be a relatively painless transition from a simple DVD player with some speakers attached but I'm looking forward to learning a little as I go.

Great thread(s) I've learned a lot before I've even switched the unit on.

I think it did the right thing going for the 2310 over Onkyo's 608 or the Yammy 667. Time will tell, but I've not had anything to compare it to so I'm sure I'll be blown away.

Just a question which I'm sure I've not read yet...

I bought the QA 1010i 5.1 package to start with because it was cheap enough & WHF give it a good review. Will these be OK initially or am I risking in damaging them / being disappointed with the sound?

Cheers,

-Bulb
  19. hiko

hiko Member

Ratings:
    +2
    How does that work then, I signed up to their VIP thing yesterday but I take it they have to send you their weekly?/monthly? e-mail before you can take advantage of their offers (and hence I've missed out on the Denon one?)
  20. GlowingBulb

GlowingBulb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Their VIP thingy (excuse the technical terms) just allows you to log in to the RS site & see the special offers. I've not had an e-mail from them. Just log in with your e-mail then scroll down the web page. I know theres still a good few within RS so you shouldnt have an issue tracking 1 down.

I just went into an RS shop, said I'd have a 2310 & mentioned it was available @ £449 on their site... Job done :)
  21. hiko

hiko Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks GlowingBulb! Looks like I missed the offer as it still shows up at £499.95 for me. Ho hum!
  22. mfife

mfife Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Hi guys, a quick question about Audyssey: back when I had a 1909, after setting Aud. up, when in use, it would introduce the most awful hiss, I mean tons of it! So I never used it again. Has anyone noticed any hissing when using Audyssey? I haven't set it up yet, trying to find a tripod!
  23. welshtommo

welshtommo Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Nothing but great, clear surround sound with mine!:thumbsup:
  24. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,014
    +1 :smashin:
  25. mfife

mfife Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for that welshtommo! I'll see what results I get when I get that tripod and do a 6 position scan.
  26. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey New Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    Agreed, the rears really come alive with it on.
  27. JokerJack

JokerJack Previously jokrejack

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi been thinking for awhile now about upgrading my 2307... been looking around the net and on this thread as i defo want to stay with denon. Noticed that the 2310 is now £450 to £499 but also that the 2311 is out now and as its new the price is around £800...

So the question here is do i buy the 2310 now or wait for a month or two for the price to come down and buy the 2311?

Thanks
  28. mfife

mfife Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Well I haven't set up Audyssey yet, but a quick scan of other threads reveals some people do get hissing from all speakers when Audyssey is on. Not sure it's worth the bother now...
  29. GlowingBulb

GlowingBulb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No issues with hissing through any speakers here regardless of Audyssey mode. Sounds pretty damn good to me :clap:

-Bulb
  30. BamBamMickey

BamBamMickey New Member

Ratings:
    +1,300
    If the source has hiss, yes you will hear it x10 with Audyssey ON.
    Audyssey does not introduce hiss at all, this can be proved by listening to a Lossless soundtrack with it ON.