Denon AVR-2113

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone on here own one a Denon avr-2113?

am giving thought to either buying one of these or the Onkyo 616 - but what with the issues with the 616 i may go down the Denon route.

The main downside to the Denon is that it doesn't support MHL, which means you can't plug in an iphone and watch your videos on the tv screen etc, which could be handy.

But it does have airplay (how useful that is i don't know), and some other decent features.

The guys are Creative Audio said that it's a no brainer and the Onkyo is a better reciever in every way possible, but thought i would get some thoughts from people who own the set.

The power does seem to be down on the Denon though (95watts per channel at 8ohms, compared to 120watts in the Onkyo 616).

Any thoughts?

Last years Denon 3312 can be had for the same price. This is a good step up again on both of these. Im considering getting one now. They can be had around £550-600.

The Onkyo lists that it only has Audyssey 2EQ correction, whereas the Denon states Multeq XT. That really should be a significant advantage for the Denon.

With regards the power, you should think about your space, and the speakers that you wish to use. Although for most 'normal' people, the difference between 95 and 120 watts is irrelevant.

What speakers are you looking to get?
As above why not get a 2312 or 3312 instead considering the bargain they are at the moment?

speakers i don't know yet.

any suggestions for under £400?

i am planning on just having 2 front floorstanding speakers hooked up to the av reciever along with the tv, blu ray player etc.
will two decent front speaker be adequate? i reall don't want surround sound if i can help it, as it's a lot of wires. would rather just 2 good floorstanding speakers, if this will be enough.
will i "need" a sub?

A sub will really add to your movie experience. You do not have to have one but it would be recommended even with floorstanding speakers.
If you are not interested in surround sound then I would not get an AV reciever at all. Why pay for amplification etc. that you are never going to use. Instead get a stereo amp and an external DAC. A stereo amp will get you much better sound quality for the money you have.

whats the difference between an ac reciever and a stereo amp?
i don't want surround sound at the moment, but in the future when we are settled in our own place and i can run the wires through the walls then i will go for it.

A stereo amp will only have 2 channels of amplification so your money goes on better components and hence better sound quality. Most will not come with digital to analogue convertors (DACs) so if you have optical etc. inputs you will need an external DAC. A stereo amp will not give you surround sound but will give you the best sound quality for your money. When will you be looking to get your own place? If it is more than a couple of years then I would go with the stereo amp since even if you got an AV receiver now it wil be out of date in a few years so when you got your new place you would probably want a new one anyway.

i may upgrade my trusty denon 1910 for a 2113, i want the network features, i want o t be able to upgrade the firmware locally, i want to connect my ipod all of which the 2113 can do..think i'll wait for more reviews and the price to drop abit..got a new telly to get first!

it also has some kind of pure mode for blurays which sounds great, and i like the new look aswell.

the thing the Denon doesn't have which the Onkyo does is MHL - which is just basically a way of connecting your iphone/ipad up to it and it will stream your video to your tv.

the thing the Denon doesn't have which the Onkyo does is MHL - which is just basically a way of connecting your iphone/ipad up to it and it will stream your video to your tv.

yeah that seems like a missed opportunity, what about the higher end models? do they have it?

not as far as i can see - appears to be on the Onkyo's only.
i will pop into my local hifi shop in a bit and see what they have. the Denon looks better (prettier) but the Onkyo shades it on features.

but then again the Onkyo seems to be behaving like a right ball-bag for most people at the moment with the HDMI issues.

the guy in my local shop also said to consider the Pioneer VSX922 (which coincidently happens to be the exact same reciever in the advert below this quick reply box).

he said he prefered the sound of the Pioneer over the Onkyo (the Onkyo being more in your face and full on, with the Pioneer being more refinded and more "real").

this might be another option.

without even asking for any kind of discount the guy said "the 616 is £599, but we could do it for £540 and the 515 could be done for £450" - so they were offering 10% discount straight away.

The denon has airplay so wireless streaming to the amp for audio/video on your network as aposed to via a cable. Airplay is a class feature if you have ipad/itouch/iphone/laptops.

i thought airplay would just be for audio?

are you saying that you could stream a video, from your iphone/pad, through airplay to the Denon and it will play the video on the tv?

I was under the impression you needed Apple TV to get the video.

Airplay as currently implemented on AV amps is audio only. No AV amp deals with video via their networking abilities. Apple have plans to integrate video into Airplay's abilities, but do not expect to see this integrated into AV amps. The streaming of video files would require the amp to be able to decode those files. Also note that AV amps generally do not have wireless networking capabilities. The inclusion of Airplay is not an assurance of wireless access to files and you will still need a wired connection to your LAN.

Last edited:
but can connect a lead like a usb/and or other cable from your phone to the amp to show video ..right?

but can connect a lead like a usb/and or other cable from your phone to the amp to show video ..right?

AV amps do not access and passthrough video via USB or their network interface. These inputs are audio only. You'd need to use composite, component or HDMI in order to access video passed through the amp from connected components.

Last edited:
AV amps do not access and passthrough video via USB or their network interface. These inputs are audio only. You'd need to use composite, component or HDMI in order to access video passed through the amp from connected components.

what about this MHL comment in post #10 about streaming content from iphones ..this is new to me your see.

what about this MHL comment in post #10 about streaming content from iphones ..this is new to me your see.

MHL (Mobile High Definition Link) is an interface protocol allowing the connection of compatible portable electronic devices such as smart phones to A/V receivers. The protocol transports uncompressed 1080p video stored on smart phone for display on HDTV, with up to 7.1-channels of surround sound. On selected Onkyo network receivers, smart phones can be connected via a designated front-panel MHL/HDMI port. While officially ‘connection agnostic', MHL cables commonly feature an HDMI plug and Micro USB connector. Once linked to an Onkyo network receiver, the user can control their smart phone using the system remote. Smart phones are recharged upon connection, and no separate power supply for the device is necessary while connected to the receiver.

It is currently not implemented on other AV manufacturers hardware (AV amps).

Last edited:
I just tried the AirPlay feature and it is not great, cuts out a lot and don't get me started on the GUI. As someone has said before it is Audio only which makes the whole feature almost pointless. The only good thing about it is you can just use your iPad/iPhone to instigate AirPlay and no matter what the Amp is doing it will jump to Play the track.

Dont let this put you off though but cost in an AppleTV for a much better experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom