Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1705 stays in standby

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by griffindj, Aug 21, 2005.

1. griffindj

griffindj Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a recurring problem with my reciever. Sporadically, without warning, my reciever will just quit on me and go into standby mode. Meaning that I'll be watching a movie or whatever, and my reciever will shutoff and the power/standby button will flash red. I will turn off and even unplug/plug-in the reciever and it still occurs. In the manual it states two causes to produce such symptons. A) Watching for long periods of time at high levels causing the unit to overheat. B)Improper wiring of the speaker circuits.

The reciever was not hot at all and is well ventilated but I still turned off the reciever and left it for overnight to "cool off" but I still get the red flash. Troubleshooting problem B, I unplugged my reciever including all speaker wires. I plugged it in with NO SPEAKERS connected, and still get the flashing red light. Problem B doesn't quite make sense either because my speakers work fine for months at a time. (bose acoustimass 10) and with no change in the wiring the receiver still dies.

This problem has happened before, but it magically goes away. Any help or ideas? thx in advance
  2. matobinder

matobinder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does it eventually come back to life? What do you do to bring it back to life? My 1803 just did the same thing. The power lite now will flash when I turn it on, but doesn't do anything after that. Just sits there. No display, no sound.

I've tried unplugging everything, microprocessor reset, still wont come back to life.
  3. griffindj

griffindj Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really sorry matobinder

I searched all over the internet and didn't find much help. I found quite a few posts about the flashing red light/stand by problem, but no one had any advice other than a.)unplug the wires b.)reset the unit c.)let it cool off.

But it seems like you've already tried those solutions. The first time it came to life after unpluging and repluging everything. But no such luck this time and I'm not willing to spend 400$ on a unit that works sporadically. I have since returned my denon for a yamaha. If you're no longer able to return, then you should call denon and they *should* cover something like this in their one year policy.

The only thing I could find was this contactservice@denonnj.com

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, and I truly wish you solve your problem. And if you do figure this out, be sure to post the solution here so the next poor sap doesn't have to return his equipment.
  4. matobinder

matobinder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my receiver, 1803, for about 3 years. So the warrentee won't cut it there. There is an authroized dealer/repair shop just down the road from here. I just throw some money at them to make the problem go away. Not really what I wanted to do, but oh well.

I did get a reply from Denon tech services, they say it sounds like it is in "Circuit Protection Mode" that a possible surge went through the system via AC line. Unfortunatly, they also seemed to mention that there are cases where Circuit Protection mode needs to be taken in to a service center to get it working again. huh? Oh well. I'll let people know what happened to get it fixed. This shop is always pretty fun to stop by. They got some awesome gear.
  5. erutku

erutku Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to shout out that I have exactly the same problem. Same happens even none of the speakers connected.

Denon 1705 turns itself off and not come back unless you turn it on again. If you turn it back on immediately most of the time it doesn't come back, turning to stanby again. If you wait a while and turn it on then it comes back. From this it sounds like a temperature issue but mine is very vell air circulated around.

It has been more than a year since I bought it. I'll try to find a repairer but it isn't likely to find any around here.
  6. erutku

erutku Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys,

I have found a solution to this ;-) and works fantasticly well for a loong time now.

I opened up my 1705 and inside you will see the chipboard of the back speaker. it's in the middle somewhere. I think it was written on it.

I just plugged it off. Meaning cut the power to it. Meaning I plug off the power cable connected onto it. So it's not functional anymore...

Well, what a solution. I don't have a back speaker anymore BUT my 1705 does not switch off anymore!!

And please note that I don't give any guarantees or anything! Try it on your own risk, use appropriate equipment and don't electrocute yourself!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009