Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1306, what plugs in where ?

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by monkeymania, May 13, 2006.

1. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This should hopefully be an easy question but I'm an idiot when it comes to anything audio related. U have jsut got a new hitachi 9700 which came with a Denon 5.1 kit. I have hooked up all the speakers to the receiver but after stufying the manuals I cannot work out where to plug the TV and DVD player into, I have attached some pics so you can see all three if anyone has any ideas where they go and what would be the best connection it would help immensely.

Attached Files:

2. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Attached Files:

3. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Attached Files:

4. KronikAlkoholik

KronikAlkoholik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That depends of what kind of output plugs you have for your DVD and TV. How do you get the TV into the house? Analog, digital, what does the thing you are supposed to plug into the TV look like?

Same with the DVD, does it support Dolby digital, and how would you plug it into your TV?

I now almost nothing about Av's so wait until a pro can confirm these. But to get you started you plug an optical or an coaxial cable from the DVD's corresponding output into the amps corresponding input ie. optical output of DVD to optical input in Amp if you have an optical cable. There you have the sound settled for the DVD I think. Alternativily you could just plug normal sound wires (phono wires) from the DVD into the Amp. You know L Front to L Front, R Front to R Front, either only those 2, if so you put them into DVD/VDP place, or from all the 6 on the DVD to the 6 marked Ext. in. I do believe the Optical would give best results, coaxial second all 6 to Ext In third and least if you only put 2.

How to connect the video is another thing and you have several options there as well. You can connect your DVD straight to the TV but many people like to use the Amp as a switcher. If so I do think you connect composite cable from the yellow connection on the DVD to yellow on amp marked DVD. The TV thing however I can't comment on until I know your setup, one way is to put it straight into the TV except for the sound cables (if they are seperate) to the amp.

Remember wait for a pro to confrim this as I'm still learning all this mumbo jumbo.
  5. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really have any cables at the moment so am willing to purchase whatever is best. Don't have a coxial cable into my house so am using a NTL Samsung box for TV but it only has a scart socket on it.
  6. KronikAlkoholik

KronikAlkoholik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK scart transmit sound with it in it's connection so you plug the scart into the TV and then you connect wires from the white/red audio plugs marked output from the TV into the corresponding white/red inputs in the Amp marked under TV/DBS.

optical cable from the dvd to the amp for the sound, however you wan't to connect the video signal from the DVD to the TV is up to you. You could go straight from the scart output on dvd to scart input on tv wich would be the easiest choice as your TV doesn't seem to have composite input. Otherwise you would have to get composite -to- component from amp to TV and composite from DVD to amp. I guess the monitor output from the amp handles signals to the TV but check the manual to be sure.

One thing I'm not sure about though is if you have optical cable from source to amp how does the amp know wich source it's from? Let´s say you have optical from TV tuner to amp and also from DVD to amp how does he know wich optical is connected to wich switch, do you have to program it yourself?
  7. PSD

PSD Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Hi Monkey,

OK.

Scart from the DVD into AV2. Set the DVD to RGB in the setup menu. This is not as good as component or HDMI but it is OK. Does the player not have any component outputs and a progressive scan logo? In terms of upgrading it would be worth it for an expensive DVD player, mine is £250 and I can highly recommend the Denon 1920. You can get cheap Sammy 950 if you want to use HDMI, it is a great player for sub £100 but the panel is better at scaling anyway.

In terms of the amp, buy a coxial cable when you can and set the DVD menu's to dolby digitial out.

You can then either watch a film with the built in speakers or, mute them and use the 5.1 system.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks PSD, the DVD Player seems to be automatically using RGB so that's good, will go and get a coxial cable for it tomorrow. Will take a look at some different players as well I think.

Also do you know if I can put my TV through this system or my Xbox ?
  9. PSD

PSD Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Hi Monkey,

Yes you can use the outputs on the back of the TV and some standard phono cables into the back of the amp. In terms of the Xbox check out the link below, it is not that straight forward unless you have a 360?

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/audio/0,39025973,40056087,00.htm

The coxial cables can be had from richer sounds for £20 and are pretty good. The Sammy 950 is £120 and is good for the money and you can use component or HDMI:

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-DVDHD950

Cheers

Paul
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. monkeymania

monkeymania Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again PSD wil go and get the appropriate cables tomorrow.

I have the calbes already on order for the Xbox so that's good to know, thanks for the link.
  11. KronikAlkoholik

KronikAlkoholik Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why Coaxial, isn't optical better? And how does the amp swithcer mechanism know wich optical/coaxial input to play when there are multiple cables/signals, is that a setup on the amp ?
  12. clockworks

clockworks Active Member

Ratings:
    +327
    The digital audio inputs on AV amps can be assigned to any input channel using the amp's setup menus.

The relative qualities of coax and optical are debateable.
    Most people think coax sounds better, due to the simpler data path. Optical actually adds 2 extra steps - electrical to optical, then optical to electrical. This may degrade the signal.
    Optical wins by being immune to interference, and you don't need fancy cables.

Optical is probably the best choice for most users, while the audiophile will prefer coax.
  13. PSD

PSD Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Hi,

I have yet to hear a DVD/CD player sound better using an optical cable. Coax for me wins hands down.

Cheers

Paul