Denon 2020 AVR Owners Thread

My adapter arrived last Thursday, the box isn't too big at all but need another plug to power it (Might get away with decent powered USB).

to owners of 2020 DENONs

do these avr's RUN HOT or not ??? i have read very conflicted reviews some says they are ok, other claim they are boilers ! i am curious mainly regarding the x3700 running in 5.1.4

thanks in advance

I have the X4700 in 5.1.4 and can’t say I’ve noticed anything - the room it’s in is quite warm anyway, and adding this certainly hasn’t increased that

to owners of 2020 DENONs

do these avr's RUN HOT or not ??? i have read very conflicted reviews some says they are ok, other claim they are boilers ! i am curious mainly regarding the x3700 running in 5.1.4

thanks in advance
My X6700 ran extremely hot. Hotter than any other receiver/amp I've owned, even at lower volumes.

I was only using 7 channels.

@Fillius did you manage to find out after a year...if this is normal or not ? the only BRAND that RUNS "COLD" seems to be yamaha...

All AVRs that use Class A/B amps generate a lot of heat they are only about 10-50% energy efficient electrically. The difference between the current generation Denons and some others is that they use smaller heatsinks and supplement this with cooling fans. The only exception is the X8500 which uses a old school heavyweight design and this is reported to run fairly cool. I would be to keep it in a open rack if possible.

@Fillius did you manage to find out after a year...if this is normal or not ? the only BRAND that RUNS "COLD" seems to be yamaha...
As @Mr Wolf says I think it's normal for A/B amps.

It's probably fine if it has plenty of ventilation, but mine was in a cabinet so I needed fans to exhaust the hot air.

Measuring with an IR thermometer the highest temp I saw was probably around 62°c (from memory). I think this is as designed, but if your ambient temp is high then it might wear it out faster. This could be the case if your room is very warm, the unit is in direct sunlight, or the heat from the unit is not able to dissipate.

The unit has some overheat protection built in, so you would see that if it was getting hot enough unnaturally.

My 3700 runs quite cool. Positively icy compared to my previous pioneer that would fry an egg! And I typically have the volume quite high.

thanks for the input guys...i guess i could get an x3700 before the years end...as no stock until mid septembre...

thanks for the input guys...i guess i could get an x3700 before the years end...as no stock until mid septembre...

That’s when the V2 model with the HDMI 2.1 fix built in comes out according to Peter Tyson - same for the whole x700 range - so makes sense there’s no stock of the V1 models now

For what it's worth, my x3700 also runs with just a slight warmth on the top in a 7.1.4 configuration where the LR channels are amplified separately, regardless of how loud I use it.

to owners of 2020 DENONs

thanks in advance
I just measured the top of my x3700 after playing a 60hz 4k XBOX game with Atmos for a couple of hours, using an IR therm. I'm running it with 5.1.4, and have placed a center speaker on some struts a couple of centimeters above the unit (yeah, I know not that clever). Anyway the top-grating of the unit was some 44 degrees (Celsius) at the highest.

That doesn’t sound very hot to me. When you see just how inefficient Class A/B amps are you realise that they are essentially space heaters. At low levels of power utlisation most of the power consumed from the wall is coming out the top as heat! Check out this chart from Audioholics.

1628115568231.jpeg

@Joe C
Forum member here told me it was very unlikely that the new stock will fix the hdmi issue... Yet you told me a V2 is coming?!
I did ask denon by mail about this and they said they have no clue.. Lol
It this V2 confirmed?

Last edited:
@Joe C
Forul member here told me it was very unlikely that the new stock will fix the hdmi issue... Yet you told me a V2 is coming?!
I did ask denon by mail about this and they said they have no clue.. Lol
It this V2 confirmed?

It’s what Peter Tyson told me, they are usually pretty on the ball

folks...the Dolby Dialog Bleed" issue can it really be fixed via FW ? i am skeptical as it has been MONTHS...that proves Denon/dolby are having difficulties...officially DM state "FALL 2021"

Have any of you here have this issue ? when does it exactly occur...it does not seem clear to me (playing stereo source material on all speakers ?)

this problem has been around for almost 2 years according to what i read even in the 2019 range! seems to affect many models denon/marantz...

Last edited:
WARNING: V2 DENON range...not the same as V1 ?

hi all, just read (on the AS forum) that DENON (following the fires in the AKM plant) changed the DAC on all their 2020 range... no one knows exactly what is inside the v2 models now but i found someone who posted this (he got if from FB!!)

A)3700 & 4700H goes from 2 x AK4458 to 7 x TIBurrBrown PCM5102A
B) 6700H goes from 2 xAK4458 to 8 x TI BurBrown PCM5102A
C) 8500HA goes from 8 x AK4490 to 8 x ESS Technology ES9010K2M

D) A110 is 8x AK4490

that forum clearly states that the new DACs are inferior to the old ones...and were used by DENON because they did not have other options !! BB dacs are also OLDER !!

are these BB dac's the same yamaha uses on their lower end models ?! if it is this sucks! in any case SQ of the new manufactured V2 DENONS will not be the same as the V1 version 2020 !!!!

DENON Japan officially confirmed this for the X4700 & x6700 " "The D / A converter IC has been changed since the spring of 2021".

Last edited:
WARNING:

hi all, just read (on the AS forum) that DENON (following the fires in the AKM plant) changed the DAC on all their 2020 range... no one knows exactly what is inside the v2 models now but i found someone who posted this (he got if from FB!!)

A) 3700H and 4700H goes from 2 x AK4458 to 7 x TIBurrBrown PCM5102A
B) 6700H goes from 2 xAK4458 to 8 x TI BurBrown PCM5102A
C) 8500HA goes from 8 x AK4490 to 8 x ESS Technology ES9010K2M

D) A110 is 8x AK4490

that forum clearly states that the new DACs are inferior to the old ones...and were used by DENON because they did not have other options !!
are these BB dac's the same yamaha uses on their lower end models ?! if it is this sucks! in any case SQ of the new manufactured V2 DENONS will not be the same as the V1 version 2020 !!!!
Interesting!

Think I'll stick to my V1 and the adaptor for my XBSX then

that forum clearly states that the new DACs are inferior to the old ones...and were used by DENON because they did not have other options !! BB dacs are also OLDER !!

I believe that my x4400 has the AK4458 DACs, so they've been in use for a long time. If your statement here is true then it could be a real step back? o_O

Have you heard anything about this @dante01 ?

@Dobbyisfree AK4458 came out in 2017...the BB one used now...came out in 2015 !!!!

It's all over audiosciencereview. Happened in Spring '21 apparently. Lots of talk about it reducing SINAD but can't see if Amir did another test.
Be interesting to see if there is an audible difference.
Funnily, these are for AVRs that mostly cost more now than they did before!

the new DENON X3700 has been confirmed to be a 7 x pcm5102a...

Last edited:
Well my 4700 just went bang!!! Changed the fuse in the plug and nothing. Rang richer sounds who have told me it has to go off for repair which could take weeks. I bought the amp in April.

Ive never had this with any of my other equipment over the years. Luckily I’ve still got my Yamaha 1030 tucked away.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom