1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell 1525 cleaning fan

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by chaz, Apr 29, 2010.

1. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi need some advice please can someone tell me how to clean my fan and the dust from my Dell inspron 1525 as its running quite warm. Also is it pos to upgrade the CPU which at the mo is a Intel Core Duo T5550 1.83GHz also has 2038MB of ram is it worth upgrading the CPU? for a better one etc. My wife also has a Dell 1300 would it be worth upgrading the CPU on that as well? thanks for any help in advance. PS i am of to Malaysia next week so will like to get the dust clear from my laptop so it runs cooler as it gets rather warm out there.:D
  2. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +885
    Service manual here:

Documentation

Remove the processor heatsink assembly and blow out any dust. You might also want to apply some new thermal paste. You could replace the cpu with a slightly faster 2.0GHz T5750 or T7100 or possibly a 2.2GHz T7500. Make sure you upgrade the BIOS to the latest version before installing a new cpu. A fresh install of Windows 7 will make it seem like a new laptop even if you don't upgrade the cpu.

- Simon.
  3. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Simon just a couple more Q if you don't mind finding the latest BIOS how do i upgrade to the latest one and find it The next question is i have windows 7 upgrade to install are you saying take off vista then do a upgrade form the windows upgrade package if so can you tell me a easy way of backing up my old hard drive ( I do have external hard drive) that's quite easy to do the last question coming up :D about the processor upgrade how would i know a 2.2 GHz T7500 would be all right? Also my wife's dell is there anyway i could improves hers ( Dell 1300) thanks once again Simon PS if i could get away with it i would bring you back a very nice Malaysian Temple Dancer (like you see in the film King & I ) getting it pass the wife though ermmm could always say its a religious artefact:D:D:rotfl::eek::nono:
  4. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry to bother again but can anybody help with the above enquiry concerning the upgrading the BIOS etc Pretty please:lease:;)
  5. brookheather

Ratings:
    +885
    It is all on the Dell website - here is a link to the latest A17 BIOS for your laptop:

Drivers and Downloads

- Simon.
  6. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you Very much Simon:thumbsup:
  7. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry i am back again Simon updated my BIOS OK as you know i have windows 7 Home Edition upgrade you say do a fresh install does that mean i have to make a full back up of my hard drive Have just brought a external hard drive how do i make this copy of what's on my hard drive at the moment and is there a bit of software that's easy to use to do this copy and once i have done this is it a full install for window 7 then after that what do i do .I must apologise Simon for what to you is silly questions but this the fist time i have done this and its a bit scary mate thanks once again
  8. brookheather

Ratings:
    +885
    Do you mean you already have upgraded your laptop with Windows 7? If so you are probably best leaving it alone rather than trying a fresh install as this will involve backing up your data and also downloading Windows 7 drivers for your laptop.

- Simon.
  9. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    No i am still using Vista sorry did not make that clear
  10. brookheather

Ratings:
    +885
    OK you would be best just to do an in-place upgrade not a fresh install - just insert the upgrade DVD and follow instructions - it will take a few hours to upgrade your Vista install to Win7.
  11. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks again Simon so i don't have to do a back up of the hard drive then
  12. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    one more thing Simon before i sign of that CPU you mentioned the 2.2GHz T7500 have looked at prices can get for about £160 would it be worth upgrading on my laptop or should i go for one of the other two T5750 or T7100 and more memory as now i have to keep this laptop for sometime thanks for the advice mate
  13. brookheather

Ratings:
    +885
    The T7500 will only give you roughly 10-15% performance improvement so I wouldn't bother with the upgrade. Install Windows 7 and if you still aren't happy sell the laptop and put the money towards a new one with Core i3 cpu.

I would always backup my data on a laptop regardless of doing an upgrade - the hard drive can fail at any time and you don't want to lose any data that isn't elsewhere. So you don't need to backup to perform a Win7 upgrade but you should at least make a copy of anything you don't want to lose anyway.

- Simon.
  14. chaz

chaz Member

Ratings:
    +15
    thanks for everything i have asked questions for Simon Have a nice weekend. Ps what's a good hard drive back up software package. thank you