*For Sale* Dayton Ultimax UM15-22 Dual 15" Build

Rich Marshall

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As some of you will already know I'm starting a build very soon using a pair of these drivers Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohm Per Coil - Ultimax Series - Loudspeaker Drivers By Series - Loudspeaker Components

1 driver per cabinet, both will be in identical sealed cabinets of around 100-120L depending on my final design.

So far I've got the drivers which cost me a total of £343.77 GBP delivered from parts express plus £89 duty/import tax via UPS so just over £215 each.

Here's some pics of the 15's which arrived yesterday.

IMG_5279_zpsffbeaf03.jpg

IMG_5280_zps5b7c9f39.jpg

IMG_5282_zpsf7f60f93.jpg

IMG_5283_zpsfe25fc21.jpg

IMG_5285_zps693dcb0c.jpg

My lunch...
IMG_5287_zpsa1711a39.jpg

Also have a used Behringer EP2500 which I'll be modding as per the silent fan upgrade by AngelEyes :smashin: but I'm using a 12V fan Coolink SWiF2-801, LM7812 1A Fixed Regulator & VANTEC 80mm 8cm Case Fan Vibration Dampener.

Just need to clear out some clutter from the garage to make building space :D

Last edited:
A great looking driver/s they are:devil: and for a good price........mine are about the same size in terms of volume.

Great looking drive units :thumbsup: would look very cool without grills & just the roll surround/cone on show :cool:

Yes great looking drivers :-0 they actually look like the SVS PC Ultra drivers, same Kevlar look.

Looking forward to this build ;) good luck on the project.

Good looking driver. Looks like you have around 22mm xmax but around double xmech.

What Qts are you aiming for?

Good looking driver. Looks like you have around 22mm xmax but around double xmech.

I thought they where 18mm xmax not sure on xmech.

What Qts are you aiming for?

In that size box there drivers will be like 0.9qtc if i remember rightly.

Of course polifill well help bring that down.

I thought they where 18mm xmax not sure on xmech.

3/4 inch so yes about 18mm with more to show. The important point is why would Dayton who do this for a living build a driver with so much extra xmech :)

3/4 inch so yes about 18mm with more to show. The important point is why would Dayton who do this for a living build a driver with so much extra xmech :)

Maybe but they would state more if the could so why don't they maybe distortion is to much, don't know.
Like the si drivers have 22mm and 42mm

Maybe but they would state more if the could so why don't they maybe distortion is to much, don't know.
Like the si drivers have 22mm and 42mm

That maybe allows for the effects of cab and dsp in placing them in room?

That maybe allows for the effects of cab and dsp in placing them in room?

Do you think so i thought once xmay was exceeded that's when distortion happened.

Do you think so i thought once xmay was exceeded that's when distortion happened.

It allows that extra zone so maybe so, why build that element in to it otherwise?

Distortion is apparently very hard to hear in lfe world but the subsequent harmonics up the frequency range are defined from it. Maybe a test is in order?

It allows that extra zone so maybe so, why build that element in to it otherwise?

Distortion is apparently very hard to hear in lfe world but the subsequent harmonics up the frequency range are defined from it. Maybe a test is in order?

I see what your saying but i thought it was just a protection thing.
Don't know to be honest.

Its possible the platform simply allows for this much xmech, by which I mean the motor structure and suspension etc. Its fairly typical for common parts to be used throughout a range, like the spiders and roll surrounds for example, even the magnet stack. Maintaining low distortion throughout the travel range is the more difficult and costly bit. Often you will see a better driver with more xmax, but the xmech figure remains the same, so you have more linear travel but the stop end limit doesnt really move.

The travel range from xmax to xmech is really a buffer zone from the subs comfortable working range, to its absolute limit. Its not uncommon to see very high end drivers with lots of xmax, but you get very little warning when you approach xmech as a result. Having a larger buffer zone so to speak, doesnt really hurt and costs pretty much nothing to implement where drivers are built on a common platform.

Like my acoustic drivers have 23mm xmax and i think 33mm xmech.

Distortion is less obvious for subs. Rather than hearing classic distortion like crackles etc, like you would from a speaker, you end up with a slower or more boomy sounding sub. This is often not recognised immediately as a result of distortion, but can very much be a product of it. Sometimes the distortion can be obvious, like the results of a driver hitting the limit of travel pretty hard.

Did the fan upgrade today in the EP2500.
Soldered the 12v fixed regulator and covered with a couple of coats of liquid tape to insulate:

IMG_5292_zpsc8ec834f.jpg

The fan and vibration kit were simple to fit, I've tested it and as others have said the loudest thing now is the quiet hum of the massive transformer inside the amp so a big :smashin: to that!

IMG_5296_zps7a00e297.jpg

IMG_5295_zpsed0284e8.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tested one of these subwoofers in free air ?

did mine today - sounded quite mechanical from the side and behind, i was hoping for a clean sound from them.

Have you tested one of these subwoofers in free air ?

did mine today - sounded quite mechanical from the side and behind, i was hoping for a clean sound from them.

Really what was you playing

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom