Day Time Viewing on HD Projector - Suggestions?

b.weeks

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I currently have an Toshiba TDP-S20 which is 1400 lumens. It is ceiling mounted and I have a fixed screen. I have black out curtains that work well. However, the brightness of the projector made it suitable for watching (just about) with the curtains open during the day.

The lamp life is coming to an end, so rather than get a new (expensive) bulb I thought it would be time to get an HD projector.

Therefore, can someone recommend a projector that is 1500 lumens or greater and HD (full HD preferrably) - ideally around 2000 lumens I would guess. I was looking at the Mitsubishi HD4000 but interested in people opinions on the image quality. Is there another projector I should be looking at?

Also - would it be worth me looking at a darker screen (I have a "grey" one) to get a better black in the day? Something like the Sony Black Diamond if that's what it's called from memory? (Athough I've heard this only reflects the particular wavelengths of its' own projectors).

Projectors of choice (and in my budget) seem to be:

Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB Projector
InFocus Play Big IN82 Projector
InFocus Play Big IN83 Projector
Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector (not a great fan of Panasonic as a company though)

Although the later does have a central bulb which is favourable as my current ceiling mount would put that in the middle of the screen nicely.

Taken from:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pro...ny&prul=any&an=0&sp_id=0&hdtv=1&dvi=13&trig=1

Thanks.

Ben.

Last edited:
have you considered a Vutec Silverscreen - these are very high gain screens that make daytime viewing possible

not sure about pricing though

New AE3000 out soon which must be worth considering.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom