Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Darken Tape? For Foxsat HDR

Discussion in 'Freesat Forum' started by AnthonyG, Feb 22, 2012.

1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Just got the Foxsat HDR today and the front display is massively too bright.

My first thought were it reminded me of those old VHS players from the 80s where you needed to put a VHS box over the front as you did not want people to walk past see the massively bright light and see you have a VCR.

But anyway the HDR lights are an eye draw and distracting. I assumed there would be a way to turn off the front display while in use. It appears not.

This FAQ for the HDR is saying put some 'darken tape' over the display?

http://foxsat-hdr.wikispaces.com/The HDR FAQ

What is that? Does it work; as in does it affect the remote control and where can I buy it from?

Thanks
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,096
    If you mean the red led you get in sby. Open the flap get two pieces of black insulation tape and cover both sides of the red led to leave a tiny square in the middle.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    I mean both the red light in Standby and also the entire LED display with the purple neon light saying "Channel 4" when not in standby. And the bright blue light below it that was red during standby.

I wanted to keep the HDR permanently turned on with the TV. but I am being forced to put it into standby as that LED display in a dark room is an eye draw from the TV.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    They must have changed the design my display is a bluish white apart from the led. compared to the led it's not distracting at all. The box needs to be in sby overnight to update the epg and carry out various housekeeping duties anyway. Only way I know is to put a piece of darker thin plastic over the display under the flap.
  5. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +584
    I agree that the display is very bright and can be distracting... we routinely use blu-tak to cover up led power on lamps and the like. It's much, much brighter on the Foxsat-HDR than my 9200T.

I've just put a two-layer piece of a blue-coloured plastic carrier bag behind the flap over the display, plus blu-tak to obscure most of the red - this does mean you can't read the display, without opening the flap, though.

I'm assuming 'darken tape' means something like a 'neutral density filter gel' as used in theatre/photography lighting that is optically clear enough to read the display but reduces the light passing through to an acceptable level?
  6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    This is what I am meaning.

My digital camera is not close to doing justice to how bright that purple/pink part is in the background of my LED display and the text saying the channel too.

[​IMG]

I wish there was a way to turn the display totally off. There is on my AV receiver and basically all my other electronics hardware.

So how can I dim this seriously down. (even blacken it) without affecting my remote.

Does anyone know if the remote sensor is part of the LED of if blocking the LED with paper or something will allow the remote to still work.
  7. grahamlthompson

Ratings:
    +3,096
    The remote sensor is a seperate round hole to the left of the display. Pull down the front flap and you will see the hole in the flap liner. Apart from that you can cover up what you need to. You can slip anything behind the flap. Most of your glare comes from the led. If you mask just that as I first posted the display is much more subdued. It costs nothing to try this first.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Rodders53

Rodders53 Active Member

Ratings:
    +584
    The IR sensor is to the left of the display -- there's a 1cm circle just to the left of the clear, un-painted area of the flap... so anything covering the display only won't affect it!

An Ebay seller has a 24cmx24cm 0.3ND or 0.6ND filter sheet for £1.80 delivered. You can cut it to size very easily.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Searching for it I cannot see this.

Could you possibly post a link to the auction, or if this is not allowed just the sellers name please.
  10. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    Search for "0.6ND filter sheet". It comes up right away.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +560
    Looks like you may still have the protective film on the front panel? That may be making things a little worse?
  12. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    It does look like it.
  13. bspks

bspks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have only had the Foxsat for the past month, but I too have found that display extremely bright and distracting.
    Today I found a cheap easy solution which many of you may have knocking around.
    I was sorting through some drawers and came across some photos in one of the wallets thay used to come in complete with 35mm negatives.
    I found one of the negatives was just one frame with a few cm of unexposed (light orange) negative.
    As a trial I cut a piece of the unused negative slightly longer than the Humax display.
    I lowered the front flap and found it very easy to tuck the slotted top of the negative between the inner front panel and the top lip of the case, making certain it doesn't cover the remote sensor.
    Shut the front flap and voila, true - a slight greenish tinge, but a perfectly legible display of an acceptable brightness.
    If you want it any darker simply use two layers. Free and easy, and can't be seen with the front flap shut.
  14. timb64

timb64 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    +1 for the film negative over main display and two pieces of electrical tape over the red/blue light-works very well for me.