1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WildgooseUK, Jan 6, 2012.

1. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Am a proud owner of a iPad 2 32G Wifi/3G. Sadly after only a day of ownership, the iPad is damaged after falling onto the Kitchen tiled floor, resulting with a small glass fracture at the bottom of the screen - right hand side. Also, two dents - both sides of the top metal bezel.

Despite the damage, it still works perfectly.

Would Apple replace it as a good will gesture, or will I likely to be faced with a repair bill.
  2. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Only way to find out is to ask them, but I'm guessing since it isn't a defect, it's not covered under warranty. I mean, it's not their fault you dropped it, so unlikely they'd foot the bill.
  3. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    House insurance job then
  4. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    You asked Apple and they said no then?
  5. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Got to be worth asking Apple. They have done it for people in the past and might feel sorry for you if you explain it's brand new?
  6. Turb007

Turb007 Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Thanks for all those who had replied and sorry for this late reply.

Have tried to contact Apple with no joy due to busy lines.The longest i waited was 25 mins so I gave up. The nearest Apple store is Meadow Hall, Sheffield.

I am aware that a few people who had damaged iPads had theirs replaced without paying a penny, and hoping maybe this will happen to me, but don't want to commute long distance to Meadow hall without knowing whether or not Apple will exchange it.

The other alternative, is to have it replace via my house insurance with only having to pay £50 excess.
  8. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Contact your house insurer and see if they will foot the bill. For a small excess of £50 its a tiny price to pay really.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Especially considering the fuel to travel both ways, could total somewhere close to this excess amount?
  10. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    I've booked appointment with Genius at Leicester Highcross this Friday morning so fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

If all fails, then will pursue through insurance.

Will keep you updated
  11. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +583
  12. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. tvbox

tvbox Active Member

Ratings:
    +583
    Any news? :)
  14. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Yes, but sadly with having to pay £200 to repair the glass screen which I've decided to wait as the iPad still works perfectly.

To claim on insurance would be a bit tricky as i need to provide a bonafide VAT registered receipt which I don't have as I brought this on Ebay.

Looks like I have to cough up the repair bill myself.
  15. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Never heard of insurance companies asking for a receipt before. There are many scenarios as to why people would not have a receipt but they still pay out.
    When my laptop was damaged they never asked for a receipt. I had to send the laptop for them to repair or replace and they replaced it in the end as it was uneconomical to repair.

A scenario of having no receipt would be a house fire, they got burned with all goods. The insurer would still pay out. So not sure what the deal is here. Have they actually said they want a receipt? If so I would contact the insurers ombudsman as I don't think that is correct.
  16. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    The deal probably is the amount of people claiming for broken iPads on their home insurance has risen dramatically. And you just know a decent percentage of these claims come from people that don't have iPads...
  17. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    That's sounds about right as I read the T&C's on the insurance policy.
  18. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    But this is why the insurer should collect the item and attempt repair or replace. That way they know the person has the item.
    I wonder if said insurer would accept proof of purchase being the email of confirmed sale.
  19. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    So do the T&Cs reflect what would happen if receipt was destroyed by fire?
  20. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    A very good point!

Will ring them and ask
  21. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    But whats to say you haven't been given a broken iPad from a friend, or bought one for pence because it's broken, then tried to pass it off as you bought it at retail and broke it yourself?

I'm in the same boat - I bought my TV from ebay (brand new, but private sale) for less than retail. Now, if it breaks and I want to claim on my home and contents insurance, it's going to difficult because I can't prove when I bought it, how much I paid, or anything.
  22. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    The insurer will indeed collect the iPad... Knowing that you got one and then evaluate whether or not the iPad is repairable which it is.

Had my iPhone smashed and repaired by the insurer which I had to provide proof of receipt, monthly contract statement and the phone itself before any work was carried out.
  23. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    I really don't think fire comes into this. Even the dumbest of insurance assessors won't believe you had a fire that only destroyed your receipts and now your iPad is broken
  24. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Bare in mind that I registered my iPhone with the insurance company a year ago so they know that I actually do own one and the legal owner.

As far as the iPad concerned, T&C states that gadgets like the iPad and if brought from an auction ie EBay, then it must be brought from a bonafide VAT seller...!!!
  25. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Think it's going to be a roller coaster ride as far as the iPad concerned which it experienced flying onto the kitchen tiled floor after only after a day of receiving it lol

It's life...!
  26. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    LOL no that was not what I was suggesting. I meant if a persons belongings and receipts had been destroyed by fire how would they deal with that if they demand a vat receipt as proof of ownership?
  27. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Which is their get out clause, as they know most people that buy from ebay do so to get "bargains" and thus buy second hand, from people that aren't UK VAT registered business' ;)

Phone's aren't too much bother, as most of use get the phone from the network carrier, so there's a paper trail thats easy to follow.

My bank account gives me phone insurance, but I've still never registered my iPhone with them, so if I break, lose or have it stolen, I probably won't be able to get a claim in for it :facepalm:
  28. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    I understand, but it's a different set of circumstances really.

What I don't understand is you don't, as far as I can tell, need to declare everything you own specifically. Obviously important, high value stuff does, like Cartier bracelets and diamond rings, but you don't need to tell them you have a 50" plasma worth £2k, a MacBook work £1500 and all the other gumph we have.

I suppose I should really tell them about my guitars, as some are worth fortunes (no longer made rare model, etc)
  29. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,993
    I've just read this and the bit about the insurance company wanting a VAT receipt is complete BS (or, no offence, the OP misheard/understead).

I am self employed and VAT registered.

If I do a job for you (or indeed, sold you an iPad) I would give you a receipt that included a VAT amount (as I am VAT registered) and my VAT number-that is VAT receipt.

Now, if I wasn't VAT registered, you would still get a receipt, but not a VAT receipt (no VAT charged and no VAT number on the invoice).

So you don't always get a VAT receipt from a seller, so the insurance company can't insist on a "VAT Receipt".
  30. WildgooseUK

WildgooseUK Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Ok.... I've arranged a repair via Apple themselves and all I can say... their service is superb so far. They have sent a box for my iPad via UPS with a return address to AppleCare, again with UPS - all paid for.

Will update with the outcome....