Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged B&W Tweeter

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Westfield, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Westfield

Westfield Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I got home last night to find that one of my childrens friends had stuck their grubby little finger into the tweeter of my B&W CM Center speaker.:eek: Considering that I have only had it for a couple of weeks I remained remarkably calm!

Phoned B&W this morning and spoke to a chap in their tech services dept. He was very helpful and took an order for a replacement tweeter (considerably cheeper than I expected) which should arrive 3 - 5 days. :clap: I'll have a look and if fitting the replacement looks tricky I'll go to my dealer to have it done.

When I first bought the speaker. B&W had a backlog and couldn't supply it for 2 weeks, they kindly lent me one of their demo speakers. I have to say that my experience so far with B&W customer services has been excellent. I just through that this was worth mentioning as very often when when we suggest/recommend speakers, this factor is not often mentioned - although one does not expect to have to order replacement compenents that often!

Does anyone else have similar good experiences from other manufacturers?
  2. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +141
    A tweeter that's also a cheeper!:D
  3. GW43

GW43 Member

Ratings:
    +141
    On a more serious note, I had a good experience with Tannoy on a similar matter (replacement driver) a few years ago.
  4. Mr Forgetful

Mr Forgetful Member

Ratings:
    +15
    My ex-girlfriend somehow misplaced the metal connects for my CM4's, phoned B & W and they sent out a new pair free of charge, I was expecting a bill for them so was very pleased with their service.
  5. mjw1999

mjw1999 Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I had a damaged midrange driver in my 604's and had no idea how it happened. As a goodwill gesture, B&W sent a new driver to my dealer who replaced it, all free of charge.
    Because of this good service i never had any hesitation about upgrading to 800 series B&W's
  6. thatalextaylor

thatalextaylor Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    One of the saddest hi-fi moments I've had recently was seeing a brand new B&W CM7 with a mashed-up tweeter in a shop. Please people, keep your fingers to yourself. Think of the tweeters ;-)
  7. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I've had only good experience with B&W too. When i've needed port bungs or those little rubber parts that hold the grillies in place i've always found B&W sent them out free of charge. Nice surprise.

Their tweeter diaphragm's were also reasonably priced at £20.
  8. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +956
    don't wanna sound like a broken record but when I phoned b&w they where excellent and really helpful and there replacement parts are much cheaper than I expected!

One of the reasons I felt happy to buy a pair of 805s and soon hopefully a set of 802s :D
  9. sjj84

sjj84 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I emailed B&W on Sunday night regarding the forthcoming series 4 range and received a reply first thing on Monday morning, think I'll definately spend the extra cash and get something with decent service.
  10. joffy1780

joffy1780 Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Tell us more,please.
  11. sjj84

sjj84 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Not much to tell really, the series 4 speakers are expected to be released in the Autumn, don't know any other details I'm afraid.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. fertonani

fertonani Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know the cost of a replacement tweeter for a CM&?

Thanks
  13. MarkB

MarkB Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I think you typed in a capital 7 there!

Best thing to do mate is to email B&W directly and ask. uksales@bwgroup.com
  14. wickfut

wickfut Member

Ratings:
    +25
    not 100% sure if this will work on your speakers but Ive fixed damaged speakers this way..

remove the tweeter and then remove the fixing screws that hold the actual dome and coil from the magent (the small ones on the front near the actual cone)

if you gently remove the magnet you can push the metal dome out from the inside.. be carefull, if you bend the coil you will wreck it totally.

put it back together and bingo , you wont even know its been crushed.
  15. Fingerz6

Fingerz6 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought i would put my bit in, Watched my brother unpacked his b&w centre and put it on the shelf only to watch his son march straight up and push in the tweeter with his finger, My brother went a bright shade of red and then walked over and calmly suck the dent out, It did leave a little mark but it did work.
  16. kfalls

kfalls Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I've had good results with B&W as well. I've purchased two pairs of LM1 Leisure Monitors. They have an integral base which can be used to hang the speaker from the ceiling or wall, or used as a base on it on a bookshelf or stand. To hold the base in position is a shaft with a ball at one end and a tightening bolt at the other. One speaker in each pair had the bolt snapped off requiring replacement. I was fortunate that the prices per mount was only 11/ea shipped.

The hard part was the installation. It required you to remove two M6 bolts from the outside of the base. Ten remove the four bolts holding the speaker baffle to the rear portion of the cabinet. Once inside the speaker, four screws need removed from the xover so it can be moved to one side to remove the last two bolts holding the mounting base from the inside.

The new shaft is installed and the process is reversed. It takes a little over an hour to replace one shaft. The disturbing part is the snapped shafts are very common. Even though I specifically asked the seller if one or both were damaged, I was told no and that the damage must have happened during shipping. The last seller actually paid for the repair. I believe he thought it would cost much more to replace, so he sold them. Once I told him the cost, he was happy to pay the cost.

Good company, products and support. B&W has always been a class act.
  17. bluedroog

bluedroog Active Member

Ratings:
    +534
    B&W's customer service is first rate. They make it so easy, I blew my mid / bass unit after a bit of a party. Rang B&W spares & repairs up with card details and the unit arrived a few days later really well packaged.
  18. Stick

Stick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Does anyone know where, who, or can point me in the right direction for some replacement tweeters for an older pair of 803 Series 2 speakers? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks
  19. Storry

Storry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Was it expensive to replace the tweeter mate? I accidentally knocked my tweeter in when moving my CM8 the other day! :-(