1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossover and Speaker Settings in Relation to Bass Management

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by dante01, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mijacmad

mijacmad Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for your reply Dante!!

Ive decided to safely reduce the crossover down to 110Hz on all.

So with regard to Ohm you would say it's safer to run the Alumni front/rear/centre which all have a nominal impedance of 4 - 8 Ohm printed on back of the speakers at 8 Ohm?

In the manual it reads:

Reference Power Output (8 ohms 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

Front: 110W +110W
    Center: 110W
    Surround: 110W + 110W
    Sur Back: 110W + 110W

Reference Power Output (4 ohms 1 kHz, THD 0.7%)

Front: 100W +100W
    Center: 100W
    Surround: 100W + 100W
    Sur Back: 100W + 100W

Just when you think you got one thing sorted (crossover) another pops up LOL - Thanks again!!
  2. plata0190

plata0190 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    why i don't hear bass in the voice by the centre speaker?
    i have indiana line 5.02 for front and C.4 for centre

thnx
  3. mintster

mintster Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just in case anyone has a quick answer.......

Setting up Denon AVR1910 and Q Acoustics 1010i - does anyone know offhand what I need to set the crossovers to? If necessary will post up frequencies as soon as I get home to check the manuals!
  4. steinlager

steinlager Member

Ratings:
    +5
    hi i have a yamaha rxv765 and im running:

-B&W signature 7nt's (fronts) 40-25kHz
    -B&W cdm cnt (centre) 50-25kHz
    -B&W dm600 s3 (rears) 75-22kHz

from what i can gather the yamaha only does the crossovers on a global scale and not individualy, if i set the crossover at 80hz would i be missing out from the other speakers?
    any opinions welcome.
  5. dante01

dante01 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,423

Not if you've a subwoofer. All the frequencies below the crossover are redirected to the subwoofer from the speakers set to SMALL.
  6. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,

I just wanted to query how i have my kit setup, I have the Denon 2807 ( a bit old now i know, still saving for a replacement and not sure what to get but that's another thread!), this is all connected to my MA RS6 7.1 setup with a BK Monolith for sub, I can only find one setting on the Denon to do with crossover and its set to 80 at the moment, I don't seem to be able to adjust individual speakers? Could this be a limitation on the amp?

Many thanks

Mark
  7. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423

It could be a limitation of the amp and some amps do have a global setting rather than individual settings for the crossovers. This shouldn't be an issue with your speakers. The problems arise when you've mixed speakers and where some of those speakers can't handle frequencies below the setting. 80Hz or slightly lower should be fine with the RS6 speakers.
  8. MarkNorton1

MarkNorton1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, I've never tried it lower, might give it a go, it drops down to 60 next, I guess it does'nt hurt to try!
  9. Giffel

Giffel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there :hiya: Thanks for a great thread.

Hoping for some help setting the right crossover freq. for my Harman Kardon HKTS11 speaker system and my Harman Kardon AVR 460.

The only information i can find is this:

System Frequency Response (–6dB) : 35Hz – 20kHz

i guess that applies to all the speakers but i can't seem to find any info on the sub.

What would you say the crossover freq. supposed to be in this setup?
  10. SilentLucidity

SilentLucidity Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bit stuck on speaker sizes and crossover freq: speakers Bose AM10 IV. Built-in Audyssey calibration set them to small with crossover of 40. Bose manual reccomends setting them all to large with crossover of 80 (it actually says lowest possible value and that 80 is typical). Every article I have read on the subject now (from this thread's excellent 1st post btw) recommends small. Any ideas from anyone running a similar setup or running bose? Receiver is Onkyo 507.

thanks.
  11. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    You can't set speakers to large and still have the ability to set their crossovers. Speakers set as large are treated as though they are full range and the full frequency range is sent to them. You must set speakers to small in order to give them a crossover point. 80Hz is far from the lowest possible frequency and it is unlikely that your speakers can handle frequencies below this. Set the speakers to SMALL and the amps crossover to 80Hz. This will allow frequencies at and above 80Hz to be sent to the speakers and frequencies below 80Hz to be sent to your sub.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. carol_s

carol_s Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Dante,

Thanks for all the great advice, both in this thread and elsewhere throughout the AVForums.

I have Q Acoustics 1010i fronts and rears which are rated 68Hz to 20KHtz
    a Q Acoustics 1000Ci centre speaker which is rated at 75Hz to 20KHz and a
    Q Acoustics 1000Si active subwoofer which is rated at 45Hz to 175Hz (var.)

I can set the crossover on the subwoofer to what I want, but my amp (a Yamaha RX-V465) only allows a crossover of either 60 or 80.

What would you recommend setting
    1. The crossover on the amp to (60 or 80)??
    2. The crossover on the subwoofer to (or should this always be set to whatever setting I have chosen on the amp)??

Many Thanks
  13. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    Set the subs own onboard crossover to its maximum setting and the level to half way. Set the crossovers for the remaining speakers to 80Hz. You should also recalibrate if the level on the sub isn't already at the halfway position and then set the crossovers after calibration.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. carol_s

carol_s Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks Dante
  15. mark8par

mark8par Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Seems to be a popular thread can somebody please advise on the crossover settings for my kit. I know it is upto individual taste but if you can tell me the range to work in.

Denon AVR4308a
    Bowers and Wilkins 684 Theatre

Frequency Response

684 Fronts 44 - 22 KHZ
    686 Rears 55 - 22 KHZ
    HTM 62 Centre 55 - 22 KHZ
    Sub B & W ASW610XP 25 - 40/140 Adjustable

I also seem to have the volume set pretty high on the amp and it does not seem particularly loud @ (15 - 20BD) can these settings be affecting it.

Thank you
  16. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    Set the sub's own crossover setting to its maximum (140Hz). Set the subs own level to half way and then recalibrate the amp and speakers. Now try a crossover setting of 80Hz on the amp with all the speakers set to small. Also set the speaker sub output setting on the amp to LFE + MAIN.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. blumonkey

blumonkey Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I've been scouring the net for crossover settings and kept scratching my head till I read this post.

Great stuff, thank you very much Dante !!!
  18. swartzy

swartzy Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Tannoy Mercury M3 (pair of Front and Rears)

Recommended amplifier power (watts per channel): 10 - 90 watts
    Peak power handling (watts): 120 watts max.
    Sensitivity (for 2.83V @ 1m): 89dB (2.8 v @ 1m)
    Frequency response (Hz, -6dB): 35Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB
    Nominal impedance (ohm): 8 ohms
    Crossover frequency (description): 2.4kHz

B&W LCR 60 (centre speaker)

Freq. Response 70Hz - 22kHz ± 3dB on reference axis
    Freq. Range -6dB at 55Hz and 42kHz
    Sensitivity 88dB spl (2.83V 1m)
    Normal Impedance 8 ohms (minimum 3.0 ohms)
    Power Handling 25W - 120W into 8 ohms on unclipped programme

MJ ACOUSTICS REFERENCE 100 ACTIVE SUBWOOFER connected with low level phono lead
    Specifications.
    120watt DC-coupled Bi-Polar Amplifier
    Speaker and line level inputs with Gain Control Range 80dB
    Neutrik Speakon connector (Gold Plated) (High level 100k ohm)
    Unbalanced RCA (phono)(Gold Plated) (Low level 10k ohm)
    Sophisticated crossover circuit - variable increments between 30Hz and 120Hz
    Straight-through LFE Bypass filter switch * Phase Control infinitely adjustable between 0º and 180º
    Frequency response 13hz to 120hz * A.S.P. (Automatic Speaker Protection)

YAMAHA RX-V2700 Home Cinema Receiver 140 watts per channel set at 8 ohms

would be grateful if I could find out what I need to set my sub and receiver at...many thanks

p.s. when I set the sub to LFE i am sometimes getting a clicking noise as the blu-ray player switches from the menu system to the main film so would be great if I could avoid setting the sub to LFE if possible?

Regards
    swartzy
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  19. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    Set the subs crossover dial to its maximum, Phase to 0º and the level to aprox half way. Recalibrate prior to setting the speaker sizes and crossovers on the amp.

Set all speakers to SMALL.

A crossover of anywhere within the range 60 - 120Hz would be permissable, but I'd suggest using the nominal 80Hz initially. You could try a slightly lower crossover (70Hz for instance) as long as it remains in the range 60 -120Hz.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. swartzy

swartzy Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thank you had it at 70 hz so that's reassured me as I wasn't entirely sure if this was correct or not...so many thanks again for the quick reply and helpfulness:smashin: hadn't got all speakers to small so this will be an improvement for me too thanks :)

Kind Regards
    swartzy:)
  21. swartzy

swartzy Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Hi dante,
    didn't see the note about the crossover freqeuncy on the amp so will tried this today :)
    ok completed the settings above i.e.
    put the crossover frequency to maximum i.e. LFE channel
    phase to 0 for downward firing
    gain level to half way

calibrated using the microphone and Bass was set at 90 Hz
    set all speakers to small
    and set bass out to both

sound was impressive aprt from having to tweak the center speaker level from +4.5 to 7.0 where I can now here dialogue much clearer....music was excellent with a very controlled bass and blu-ray was very clear with surround effects with the subwoofer behaving in a controlled but powerful way...I can now turn up and down the gain for both music and movies with good effect:smashin:
  22. kevindef

kevindef Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just received my new Polk speakers for my front and center:

RTi A7

CSi A6

and also have

DSW Pro 600

I am also using a pair of RM 8' for my surrounds and a pair of RM 8's for my rear surrounds. I would like to replace the RM 8's in the near future with 4 FXi 6's, but for now I will live with the RM 8's as my surround speakers.

My receiver is a Sony STR-DA3400ES.

Now getting to my question. I am setting up the the crossover etc on my receiver and am wondering what I should set the crossover for each of the speakers. Here is the frequency of each:

RTi A7: 20Hz - 27Khz

CSi A6: 45Hz - 27Khz

DSW Pro 600: 20Hz - 160Hz

RM 8's: 95Hz - 24Khz

I just set the crossover for the 2 fronts and center at 80. Being that the RTi A7's can go down to 20, should I make that number lower? Something different???

My receiver can be set in increments of 10, from 40 - 200 for Fronts, center and surrounds

How about the center? Should I go 50 with the CSi A6? Something else???

Now the RM 8's. The receiver selected 160 for these, but I thought that was way off. How is 100? Or should it be 160? Anything different?

I know this can depend a lot on the room and personal tastes, but I would like to get as close as possible to being in the ballpark and then just fine tune. Thanks for any help!!! Kevin
  23. gaz847

gaz847 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I have the RXV3900 amp running a MA RS6AV speaker package and was wondering if anyone else had the same set-up and if they do what crossover frequency they have set for the different speakers?
  24. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    Both kevindef and gaz847.

Again, I'd use 80Hz for the crossover for all the speakers. Listen for distortion from the two pairs and centre and then adjust individually. You'll probably get the most cohesive response with 80Hz though.

The ideal for any home set up is the 80 - 120Hz range, but not all packages allow for this. Many of the small lifestyle packages give little if any option other than the setting the crossover to the lowest the sats will handle. If you've full range speakers (lower handling than 80Hz) then try to use 80Hz or thereabouts. If the drive units are matched throughout then try to use the same crossover for all the speakers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  25. kevindef

kevindef Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dante, your help is much appreciated. I do have the fronts and center set to 80 and ALL speakers set to small. The only question that still puzzles me is I am using small satellites as my surrounds, 2 surround and 2 rear surround. Their range is 95 - 24. Right now I have them set at 120. Should I go with 100??? or is 120 better for these satellites? When I auto calibrated the receiver chose 160, but that seemed too high, but I REALLY don't know. Thanks again for your help!
  26. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    Try 100Hz and listen out for cabinet resonance and/or distortion in the mid range. If present then increase the crossover until the distortion is no longer apparent. You may get a better overall result if you also raise the other speaker's crossover to that of or closer to that of the surrounds.

Try to keep the timbre and tone of all the speakers as close as you can to one another. If you get a good response from the surrounds with one crossover setting, but then end up with a difference in timbre in comparison to the others, adjust the others in order to address the difference.

If the overall mid range starts to sound weak and removed from the speakers then it would be better to suffer the distortion and lower the crossovers than tolerate the poor (disjointed) mid range response. This is when you should consider replacing the surrounds with something with a slightly wider frequency response.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  27. vidman60

vidman60 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Having just purchased a Sony STR-DH800 receiver I just need to confirm that the adjustments I have made to the Speaker Crossover settings make sense:)

I have connected the Sony to 5 x KEF HTS2001 speakers (part of a KHT2005.2 speaker package) + a Yamaha YST-SW200 Subwoofer.

The system is configured as a 3/2.1 with the KEF HTS2001's Frequency Range being 80Hz - 27kHz & the Yamaha rated at 20Hz - 160Hz.

The speakers have been set to Small in the bass management section and I have altered the crossover settings to 100Hz for all of the KEF HTS2001's.

This is all very new to me and any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

The Vidman
  28. dante01

Ratings:
    +4,423
    You can use any figure from 80 to 120Hz for your crossovers. This is the crossover range your speakers allow for. Use the setting within that range that sounds the best to you.

Your current setting is fine and you need only change it if you'll think you get better from another frequency within the acceptable range available to you.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  29. vidman60

vidman60 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mant thanks for the quick reply - I'll have a play with the settings when I get back home tonight (Snow permiting!)
  30. tommaazz

tommaazz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all!
    I have just purchased a new marantz sr 5004 replaced my sr 5500. I have run audyssey and i have a question about that. It sets my LPF/HPF (this is only setting marantz has that i can adjust regarding crossover) to a whooping 180 hz (i have a front pair of jamo E850 37-20.000 hz), E8 center (50-20.000 hz) and E6 sur (90-20.000 hz) and a nice mirage omni S12 sub rated from 19-120 hz)) but because my subs response is only from 19-120 hz i HAVE to set LPF/HPF lower than 180 hz, am i correct? Or else i am loosing content between 120 and 180 hz. Now i have manually set my my speakers from large to small and LPF/HPF to 100 hz despite saying that audyssey wont apply any filters bellow measured -3db point. It sound OK, but i know i could squeeze more from the system just if marantz had a separate crossover settings for all channels and not just global LPF/HPF crap oh well i should have purchased 2310 denon. What would you dante do or how would you set my system? Any thoughts or tips?

I have a "problem" with my surr speakers as they are in shape of a triangle (tweeter an sub on the left and midrange on the right (midrange is firing just the opposite of my head)) and the optimal place for them is on sides but i dont have a place to put them there so they are behind me. I have found a solution for aligning them more to the listening area so i hope when i re-run audyssey it will give me a slightly lower -3db point but the sound will "bounce" from wall (bass and tweeter).
    Sorry for the long post but i cant describe my situation in any other way:D
    Thanks in advance for all your help and tips!