1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creationism In Schools Isn't Science

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jp_bl_68, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp_bl_68

jp_bl_68 Member

Ratings:
    +458

CrISIS Petition:

Sorry for the copy and paste job but this petition was just brought to my attention and I thought a few of you might be interested.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    Signed with "To describe a Creationist as a scientist is at best a travesty, at worst deliberate deception.".
  3. Toko Black

Toko Black Active Member

Ratings:
    +821
    Philip Bell is a delusional barmpot* and shouldn't be let out of the house never mind near a classroom full of children :rolleyes:

* he's a young earth creationist. That means he is adamant that the earth is less that 10,000 years old ..... and that the tsunami of evidence to the contrary is wrong.
  4. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    Dave Gorman has a run-in with this guy's american counter-part - I won't give him the service of naming him though, to bump up his google rank.
  5. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    Signed - what an absolute joke. At least they are 16-year olds so they should be at a decent age to take it and form an opinion rather than just take it as gospel (hopefully) - pun intended.
  6. Kyuss72

Kyuss72 Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Creationism, global warming, the ozone layer, eugenics, alchemists.... I guess it is part of the human condition! :)
  7. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,277
    We seem to be going backwards as a species, the space race has ended, supersonic passenger planes are no more and people still want to teach our kids mythology and fairy tales as fact.
  8. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    That is outrageous, I mean, I do believe in God and am a practising Muslim but even I recognise that Creationism should only be taught (if it has to) in a R.E. class and has no place in a Science class!
  9. johntheexpat

johntheexpat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,290
    :rolleyes:
  10. simon ess

simon ess Member

Ratings:
    +583
    I'd love to hear Michael Gove's view on this.
  11. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,840
  12. Foebane72

Foebane72 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +196
    (Must resist, must resist, AAAGH, I must not spout my vitriol of these idiots with their irresponsible actions... after all, I blow a blood vessel in my brain when some poor soul in my path innocently mixes up Astronomy with Astrology, so woe betide any Creationists that get in my path....! AAGH, must resist!!)
  13. Reepicheep

Reepicheep Member

Ratings:
    +49
  14. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,691
  15. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,165

I didn't think it was in a Science class, but even so the Creationist should not have been presented as a scientist.
  16. andyk

andyk Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He shouldn't have been presented at all.

What next? An astrologer? A flat earther? Someone that claims to have been Cleopatra in a former life?
  17. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,165
    Just what should they teach in R.E. then?

Astronomy? Geophysics? Psychiatry? :D

;)
  18. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,428
    Signed - number 5151! :thumbsup:
  19. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +603
    Even as a Roman Catholic, I can never rember being taught that Creation was a fact, rather as a simple story that would lead, as you got older, to the most uptodate scientific theorys, of that time, to attempt
    To to explain the beginnings of the universe etc

As a fact? Never.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  20. andyk

andyk Member

Ratings:
    +155
    To be honest I'd rather RE didn't exist. I can think of lots of other things that would be better use of teaching time.
    Ethics (no need for invoking the supernatural though)
    Economics (particularly household)
    Marketing (and how not to be fooled)
    Law (and its impact on the man in the street)
    Etc.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  21. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +603
    I think RE should be taught, not in a "born again" way, but in a subjective context.

After all, can we excluded millions of people's beliefs from education?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Sparky83

Sparky83 Member

Ratings:
    +128
    Yes because they don't really cater for the non believer equally!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Toko Black

Toko Black Active Member

Ratings:
    +821
    There is nothing wrong with teaching children about beliefs, just not teaching children to believe.
    Personally I believe we should abolish R.E and restructure a new subject in it's place that discusses a fixed national syllabus where religious beliefs are all discussed equally as merely a part of a wider subject of ethics, morality and social behavior.

What Bell does is peddle belief like a cheap car salesman.
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  24. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +603
    Well, my daughter goes to an RC comp and she seems to know an awful lot about all of the major religions and its all done from an educational POV, rather than "who's the best".

I think that non believers can gain a great deal of insight and knowledge from this, without the attempted indoctrination, that some people seem to think goes on in some schools. Balence, whilst educating, is surely a good thing?

Here are the points of views of all, including Athiests, make your own mind up kids.
  25. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    From mates experiences in RC school they were taught catholism was right, and no mention at all of the "heretics"

On my own we were taught them all but it was pretty short sillabus...not like a whole afternoon every week (or in mums experience several times a day) and whole day revolved in some way around RC, before breakfast till going to bed.
  26. Fozzybear

Fozzybear Member

Ratings:
    +311
    "...and so we prove beyond doubt that God made the world from Adam's rib using pixie dust and unicorn tears. If there are any questions please hold them until the end, where you will burn in the fires of endless damnation."
  27. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Funny you should say that, mates exact experience too. You must believe this, no questions, no deviations.
  28. DOBLY

DOBLY Member

Ratings:
    +130
    When I was at school (in the mid-80's), we had a weekly lesson called "perspectives on life" instead of R.E. The previous year (age 11 or 12) we had R.E. which was a study of the religions of the world, whereas perspectives on life was broader - it was, on reflection, more to do with morals, life choices, society and what the consequences were to various decisions that you could make. Yes, it was a bit washy-washy, but was certainly preferable to being taught about different religions. I just don't remember it continuing for very long. Creationism was never part of the syllabus, thank @#$ !!
  29. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    My children go to RC schools and were regularly introduced and given talks by people representative of other religions. They were even taken on field trips to synagogues and mosques and allowed to take part in services.

I'm fine with this and the whole creationism thing is mentioned merely in passing with no implication that its anything to do with science and no validation one way or the other.

In fact they are given explicit discussion topics in order to make up their own minds and even have the point made clear to them that the things depicted in the bible are not necessarily indicative of actual empirical fact but that the bible itself is an historic artifact that is representative of the framework of their faith with its own history of modification and development , not an inviolate explanation of the mechanical structure of the universe.

If someone tried to impress on my children that creationism is anything other than an overly rigid outdated interpretation of the bible I would very swiftly have their influence over my children ended.

( I would also point out creationism has absolutely nothing to do with issues of faith ; whether or not you actually have any belief in any religion. Something such as the specifics of creationism is not going to have any real bearing unless you are a fanatic and fanatics are not something rational people expose children to regardless of religion )
  30. Toko Black

Toko Black Active Member

Ratings:
    +821
    The problem is that some members of this forum are creationists and even young earth creationists. To often issues regarding belief and it's contrary to the evidence and reason nature is convienently ignored by people assuming that only extremists or fanatics hold those views and represent a very tiny fraction of the faithful. In doing so, it is allowing certain ideas and beliefs to gain strenght as has been shown by the number of faith and foundation schools pushing the agenda of creationism or specific beliefs that has finally been recognised as an issue highlighted by the threads topic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.