1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked Samsung 40' lcd screen - possible to repair?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chubsta, Oct 9, 2007.

1. chubsta

chubsta Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Due to an act of stupidity on my part - ie trying to move the tv into another room whilst suffering from a bad back - my samsung lcd screen has now got a huge crack running across it. I am scared to switch it on as i dont want to blow myself up - is it possible/economical to repair this? it cost me £1800 18 months ago but similar models now seem to be about £700...
  2. Duel

Duel Member

Ratings:
    +88
    ****, that's tough luck mate. :(

It should be possible to fix it. I would estimate it would cost about £300 but that really isn't very educated at all. I would probably phone around local electrical repair companies to see what they have to say.
  3. igauk

igauk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Can you claim on your house contents insurance? I presume you dropped it? If not, it may just be a piece of glass in front of the LCD screen itself so might be easier/cheaper to repair?
  4. chubsta

chubsta Member

Ratings:
    +8
    i thought about home insurance as i am covered for things like tvs, but i have an excess of £100 and i dont know if things like that also lead to increased premiums (i havent claimed anything befor - not even on my car insurance!).

I figured it may be cheaper in the long term to try to get it repaired or just buy another one...
  5. sirlukas

sirlukas Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hi, I have a very similar problem, even the same.
    Does anyone know any services, that could give me a quote for new LE40R87BDX/XEV panel only?
    I am not sure whether it is worth the kerfuffle.

Thank you

EDIT: In my case rather than external glass element it is the very panel inside that is cracked.
  6. ziffius

ziffius Member

Ratings:
    +303
    This site has the current panel prices PriceWise - DisplaySearch

Add the retailers profit on top, plus the cost of fitting it and it just isn't worth it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1