Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crack in my screen.Hitachi 42PD6600

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Wortley Winger, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Wortley Winger

Wortley Winger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Was watchin the football on sat with no probs.
    Then about an hour later my girlfrend was watchin some poopye Chick flick
    she shouted your tvs makin a funny noise, walked in to the room the tv was flickering the all th screen went blank so switched it off. looked at it and has a massive crack in the panel. Has this happened to anybody else. This tv is only 2 months old and is a Hitachi 42PD6600
  2. TheBlueRaja

TheBlueRaja Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I think that only happens when Ronaldo scores and beer cans mysteriously fly accross the room on that set.
  3. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Hate to say it...but I think your up poopy creek with no paddle on this.

No shop in their right mind will accept it under warranty :suicide: :rolleyes:
  4. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    I had one for 6 months and never had any crack appear...

Its a horrible set...but thats besides the point
  5. Wortley Winger

Wortley Winger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    its the glass inside not the outside so couldn't be touched in anyway
  6. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    ah right sorry didn't realise what you meant. In that case get on that phone and see what the shop says :)

But no, I definately didn't see anything like that on mine?
  7. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    Sadly Robo is right, I would never believe anyone who told me their plasma had cracked on it's own. Never heard of it, except physical damage, and TBH never seen one broken in a customers home, it happens occasionally in transit. The front cover is just light plastic, it's perfectly possible to crack the glass without damage to the plastic. This is not an accusation, anything can and does happen I guess, maybe it was assembled stressed? Most likely explanation is an impact of some sort though, and that's what the warranty boys will go with. Best of luck though.
  8. Wortley Winger

Wortley Winger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ooooh do't say that it makes me feel sick
  9. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    2 words to cheer you up. Contents insurance. Surely if it's not warranty it must be a claim. And the bonus is, you get to be shot of one of the most horrid plasmas of all time.
  10. Wortley Winger

Wortley Winger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    HORRID as in the screen or the actual look of the set
  11. Wortley Winger

Wortley Winger Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    you wouldn't believe it they have swapped it under warranty thanks for advice peeps
  12. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    :thumbsup:
  13. KinkyAffro

KinkyAffro Member

Ratings:
    +177
    :devil: erm, but you didn't listen to the advice :rotfl:
  14. MAW

MAW New Member

Ratings:
    +483
    Just as well. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. God alone knows how that could happen, I wonder if they've had it before witha Hitachi or something. Pioneers have very thin glass too, you can see a 50" flex, very frightening.
  15. james_uk9

james_uk9 Member

Ratings:
    +32
  16. mnoble_uk

mnoble_uk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    oi ! theres some of us who are happy with it. Remember most people who post, post because they are unhappy, the happy ones dont bother.
  17. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Yeah mate - 6600....

Pinnacle of bad...

1. Design - looks rubbish for a plasma
    2. Pic quality
    3. Cheapyness
    4. Production quality - This is the main one.

There have hardly been any made it would seem - can't say for sure but it looks like it...that don't have any problems.

The one I had had these problems...

1. Signal would dissapear (bounce back to the blue background) during bright scene over component. Also would happen on certain dvd menus, about 1\4 of my dvds.

2. Screen tearing at near the top of the screen, sometimes you'd see like a "wave" effect.

3. Sound quality on the set itself (thank god I never used it) was so poor, I couldn't believe it, its processing capabilites were...well I can't really describe, it it would make any channel you watch sound like an MP3 encoded at 48\64kbps or thereabouts - tinny as hell, nothing to do with the volume either.

There were more, but I feel sick just thinking about the screen.

All the problems were confirmed by an engineer, who told me he'd seen loads of these sets with exactly the same problem.

Richer Sounds later told me, about a month ago that they'd all been recalled by hitachi. I made a thread on it and someone emailed hitachi and they denied it. But Richer Sounds have stopped selling it because of all the problems they had with it.

They also told me that anyone who bought one could have their money back, no matter when the set was bought from them. I was covered anyway though because the engineer who checked out my set way back in january only a couple weeks after i got it made sure it was all documented.

I didn't really want to chase RS since I was waiting for prices to come down, but I guess if you haven't seen a nice set setup properly your not missing much (position I was in).

People who swear by the set in that hitachi thread are people who have never owned a decent plasma. I'm afraid thats the truth.

(In my opinion!!!:))

Thats my experience with it and what I believe to be true, its not an accussation that all people own dodgy sets, its just what i suspect. :thumbsup:
    If your set doesn't exhibit any problems, then your one of the lucky ones thats for sure and it is\was a cheap set so I guess its not that bad...Actually I'm just saying that, its horrible. But then I'm biased because just got an LG 50px4d for a good price and it pees all over the 6600 in every single department.
  18. Woziak

Woziak Member

Ratings:
    +7
    1. Design - looks rubbish for a plasma
    - I think it looks good (but that's just my opinion)
    2. Pic quality
    - It's capable of producing a HQ picture if fed with a decent source
    3. Cheapyness
    - Compared to what?
    4. Production quality - This is the main one.
    - Compared to what?

...The one I had had these problems...

1. Signal would dissapear...
    - When you clip the component input yes

2. Screen tearing at near the top of the screen...
    - See 1.

3. Sound quality on the set itself...
    - who needs those when you have a HT system...

...People who swear by the set in that hitachi thread are people who have never owned a decent plasma. I'm afraid thats the truth.
    - You assume a lot!

...But then I'm biased because just got an LG 50px4d for a good price and it pees all over the 6600 in every single department...
    - And it should cause it's almost 3 times as expensive (comparing apples with oranges?)

I rest my case... :rotfl:
  19. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    ?

Certainly wasn't 3 times more expensive

The Hitachi was £1250 with a 3 year at home warranty - this was the cheapest price at the time.

The 50 Inch LG was £1850 with a 3 year at home warranty

Also got £40 of gift vouchers with it, which I sold for £28

I don't know why the list price is £3500 in that review done in december by one of the AV mags? I don't think it cost that much back then even.

Best £575 I've spent for a while, I am having 1 problem with the screen though, but I'm pretty sure its going to be resolved with a software update. LG are coming over next week, as it hasn't updated over the DTV.

If it were nearly 3 times more expensive then yes, I'd be a raving loonatic for even mentioning the screen.

...I do assume alot though, nasty habbit that. :suicide:

But then if a recognised highstreet shop has stopped selling them due to quality issues then....assume all the way!!! :smashin:
  20. mnoble_uk

mnoble_uk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Im afraid we're going to have to disagree. I have compared the 6600 and the 7200 side by side and with a good quality input (ie. Sky HD) there is no discernable difference. I still stand by the fact that a lot of the problems people reported were due to difficulty in setting the screen up properly (as in your case).

I knew what I was buying - i was buying an HD ready set for a very low price that I could connect my Sky HD to and get a great picture. Thats exactly what I got. Had I bought a 50" LG *at the same time* I would have paid 3x the price. You may not have intended to insult people - but it certainly came across that way.
  21. chaparral

chaparral Member

Ratings:
    +123
    You think your LG so good..So why you have posted this in another thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364814
  22. james_uk9

james_uk9 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Sir,
    Respectfully, you either need your eyes tested or are smoking the wrong drugs!
    Having owned both, and having compared the tv's using reasonably decent kit, the difference is like chalk and cheese IMO.
  23. Woziak

Woziak Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry James_uk9... but he is right. I did the side by side comparison too... Both calibrated with DVE over component and HDMI/DVI... :rolleyes:
  24. james_uk9

james_uk9 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Perhaps, and its a BIG perhaps, there must be a small quantity of 6600 out there that arent completely and utterly horrid in every way then. I unfortunately couldnt even watch, let alone attempt calibrating anything over component as the screen would break up on white/grey scenes thru any source so it was completely useless, the second 6600 that replaced it did exactly the same. It may look half decent fed SkyHD but how many of the population have skyHD?, least not forgetting that the 6600 was around long before any HD feeds were available here on tv. The hard facts are that on SD feeds its horrid, the build quality is horrid and there are too many faults to mention making it even more HORRID! Good luck to anyone who has a good one. :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. robo989

robo989 New Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Funny you should say that. That was 1. problem on my one also....hmmmm ;)

Yes maybe, if your read the thread I started you will see I have 1 issues with the screen.

It won't "autoswitch" to the frequencey of the input, like 50\60hz.

You can still change it though but you have to go into the service menu, which obviously isn't right - in my eyeys at least. A few people have said thats just how it is. I respect what they say, but I'm sure that it can't be like this. I'm a believer, I like the screen, this issue has nothing to do with its real functionality\pic quality.

I phoned up RS and they told me that it most likely just needs a firmware update, a nice chappy then posted confirming this could well be the problem.

I'm not being dis-respectful to anyone, I'm being disrespectful to the 6600. Last time i checked it didn't have a personality, I'm not insulting your buying desions, or whatever either. I've clearly laid out the problems its got, a relatively massive number of people have had exactly the same problems. If you look at the makeup of happy\unhappy users here you will see that there is a large number of unhappy people,

If your screen doesn't have the generic problems that have been listed numerous times then like i said before, congratulations, your a lucky one. I don't mean that in a patronising rude way. Its fact that there are a huge number of dodgy 6600s out there. I know that as a rule only people with issues report problems, but even so have you seen how long that thread is?

I'm just calling turd a turd. The 6600 as a whole is a turd, it is best avoided as a general rule. Just like eating chinease the next day, you could be lucky and just have a nice taste, but there's a good chance your gonna get the squits later on that evening.

Nice chinease food -> initial experience with 6600

squits -> finding out you've got a crappy 6600. (very likely but by no means certain outcome)