Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu fan spinning too fast and noisy.

Discussion in 'Computer Systems' started by futuresbright, Jan 12, 2008.

1. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I have recently formatted my computer (gone from vista back to xp)and have found that the fan on the processor runs constantly very fast and inevitably noisy.

Before i formatted it used to spin for a couple of seconds on startup then turn itself down so you could hardly hear it,now its getting unbearable, it is running at 4560 rpm with the cpu temp at 34°

I also updated the bios as i was having LAN problems and was lead to believe an update would fix it ,it didnt!

I have been into bios looking for something that sets it to automatic but nothing stands out.

I have tried speedfan but it doesnt work as my motherboard is not supported.

The pc is a philips mt3700 with intel core 2 running xp mce with phoenix award bios.

any ideas on how to turn it down?
  2. blingo

blingo Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Did the motherboard come with any software that manages power to the processor and fan speed I think the software is called intel speedstep.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    nope, its a poxy pc world computer, it didnt come with any motherboard utilitys whatsover, can it be downloaded or is it specific to my setup?
  4. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    just had a quick read and its seems speedstep is for notebooks rather than desktop p.c`s which i did not mention mine was.
  5. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I went to buy a philips laptop from currys (same company as pcworld) and before I went to buy it I looked it up on the net to see how much info was on their site about the laptop and found out that philips dont even make laptops and it was a oem job only sold in currys, pcworld and dixons, dont know if they make desktops either.

Have a look in device manager and see if there are any question marks beside anything if there is then look for a driver for it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    thats the problem, there is no support whatsoever in the form of drivers/utilities from phillips and i am reluctant to take it back to p.c world as it is out of warranty plus i can probably fix the problem myself if i know what i am looking for.

all drivers are present in device manager which took some tracking down after format believe me !!!
  7. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    The make and model should be written on the motherboard somwhere, last resort would be to unplug it then open up the case and have a look with a torch write it down and google it, I had to do that before a couple of times and was able to download the manuals and utilitys.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. bagatanmd

bagatanmd Member

Ratings:
    +95
    hi,

i had a similar problem before. try looking inside your computer. the cpu heatsink might be needing a cleaning job. mine was full of dust that accumulated around it causing the fan to spin excessively.

andrew
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    done it mate, its a ECS 945g-m3, plenty of stuff on their website, bios,sound drivers etc but nothing to turn the fan down.

pulling my hair out with this one there must be a way, surely the fan does not need to spin at those revolutions to do its job??
  10. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    cheers, will have a look at that tommorow, maybe thats the problem? so you are saying because the heatsink is not doing its job properly the fan maybe on auto and is working correctly?
  11. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    couldnt wait till the morning, just whipped fan off and the heatsink is spotless no dust whatsoever.

would it be worth me buying another fan that doesnt rev as high and is branded as quiet? as long as i keep my eye on temp should it be o.k? i have read that some are running at 1700 rpm and still the cpu is only at 40°.
  12. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    I had this http://www.mplex.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=37 it has an oversized fan so doesn't need to spin as much so is quieter and it has speed control for either the front or back of your pc that comes with it, there are cheaper ones that will probably do the same job.
  13. futuresbright

futuresbright Member

Ratings:
    +13
    thanks y2k, i think i`m going to have to go down that route, i`m fed up of looking for a solution for my existing one.

will get one ordered i think. :thumbsup:
  14. y2k

y2k Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
    No problem :thumbsup: just make sure you get the right one for the processor you have that one is for Intel® Pentium® 4 LGA775/478 and AMD™ K8, you will find out what yours is from the manual for your motherboard that you found earlier.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1