Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco meat?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Saldawop, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    I have been going to costco for the last year or so.I always have a look at the meat on offer, and whilst it always looks nice, the fact that the Use By date is normally one,or if lucky, two days , puts me off.
    Now, with the quantity that you have to buy I would of course freeze it anyway so I guess in all honesty it doesnt really matter.Im just curious as to why the Use By date is so short?

Maybe I have just got used to the supermarket.
  2. Obi1kenobe

Obi1kenobe Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've been buying Costco meat since I first became a member some 5 years ago. It's now the only place i buy meat from. It's FAR superior to any supermarket meat (i.e. not full of water) and the steaks are partucularly good.

It's also cheaper than even the cheapo supermarket stuff.

I don't know about it's free range credentials though, if you're othered by that sort of thing.

I'm particularly partial to their Steaks, Sausages and Bacon...mmmmmm, mouth's watering now .

Slightly off topic, but their eggs can be hit and miss. The last lot I had were awful, but they'd been good until that point.
  3. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Thank You Obi

So what is it with the short Use By date?
    Have we/I just become accustomed to everything having a weeks Use By date stamped on the packaging in the Supermarket? I mean ,if you go into a butchers,you look at a bit of meat ,and think, that looks nice Ill have that,and yet theres NO Use By date on that?
  4. MontyPS3

MontyPS3 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    My rule of thumb for Meat, fruits, Bread etc is - The shorter the use by date, the better quality it is! This is because it hasn't been pumped full of chemical preservatives to make it last on the supermarket shelf as long as possible!

Or another way to look at it, People that bake their own bread would know it goes off after a couple of days max! Same applies with people that grow their own fruits (although depends on the fruit).
    and ofcourse, if you kill you own cow, don't think you'll store the meat in the fridge would you?
  5. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,763
    Another vote for the quality of their meat here, we often get it and I would agree it's better than some of the supermarket stuff!
  6. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    Thanks, I have read a lot of posts on the net saying how the meat from costco is so much better than the supermarket stuff.Will buy some when there next :thumbsup:
  7. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,276
    The Parmesan cheese is pretty damn good as well. :thumbsup:
  8. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Agreed lots better than supermarket stuff. I buy all meat form there now and freeze it's so it's even handier as it's there when we need it.

A great example is the chicken. Get 2 breasts from your local supermarket and they will be half the size, also fry them up and you'll have a pan of water as all the injected fluid (to make them look plump) boils off. Do the same with the Costco chicken breasts and they'll not be boiling in the added juice!!

Same with the pork, the steaks are so thick and tasty and far better than the stuff we use to get... and don't get me started on the Stewing beef!! :D

But be carefull it can become addictive. I now try to buy as much as possible from there now. I estimate on average it's 60% the price from the supermarket but you end up with a spare room full of toothpaste and mouthwash!! :D I got 6 large bottles of washing up liquid the other day and we use a dishwasher :D In the end I gave 3 to a mate at work just to make some space and otherwise it probably would have lasted us over 12 months, so especially with meat, don't get carried away make sure you have the room to store it! :thumbsup:
  9. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,763
    Is that you on the Fairy advert?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I like their meat, but can't stand their mince...It is way too coarse for my liking, too many fatty bits in it when you cook it (you can just see all the white bits in the pan) yuk...

Prices are very good, but I must admit now I've changed my eating habits a little, things like their chicken breasts are just too big for me to eat....Never thought I would say that....But I still buy their full sirloins and fillets and pork loins....
  11. script

script Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Another vote here, superb quality restaraunt standard.
  12. WibXL

WibXL Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    Haven't tried the meat or cheese but the Danish pastries are very very nice. Even nicer at £3.69 for 12. Not sure how long the life was on them as to be honest they didn't last that long.
  13. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    I've been a member since '97 and it's always been superb.

Problem is, we go to have a look round, for nothing in particular and end up spending the thick end of a couple of hundred quid!

:facepalm:
  14. jay mc

jay mc Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Another vote for costcos meat here to, dam good price and quality. Bought some of the chicken brest on there recent offer for £8 and after frezzing a lot ive got enough for 12 dinners.
  15. Dancook

Dancook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,484
    How could one go about becoming a member of costco?
  16. jay mc

jay mc Member

Ratings:
    +181
    You need to be self empoyed or work in certain jobs, go to www.costco.co.uk
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    You need to be a 'professional'!

Or in business for trade membership.

What do you do for a living?

Clicky
  18. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Don't forget you pay £30 yearly membership for the privledge and they don't take credit cards
  19. Dancook

Dancook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,484
    I'm a professional web developer, I have a full time job but I do freelance, but I'm not registered as self-employed.
  20. Epicurus

Epicurus Active Member

Ratings:
    +408
    I haven't been in CostCo for months as Makro are better set up for retailers, but I also noticed how excellent CostCo meat was. Don't forget they are geared towards caterers and not end users which partly explains the excellence.

Membership is easy enough for any professional or business but 50% of the trade is blatantly for personal use, very few big retailers buy from there and whenever I go to Cost Co or Makro these days people look at you like a weirdo because I have 6 flatbed trolleys and they have 1 half filled normal trolley.
  21. acid007

acid007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Never been to Costco. I believe there is one coming to Coventry soon not to far from me, might register then to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Sid
  22. GGTVBD

GGTVBD Active Member

Ratings:
    +326
    I abandoned Makro many years ago. Found it to be utter rubbish compared with Costco.

When Costco opened in Leeds in '97 it took loads of business away from Makro.

On a weekday morning, there are plenty of traders buying stock running into thousands of pounds.

They must be making a profit!
  23. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
  24. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,276
    ..and most pay with cash. ;)
  25. BB3Lions

BB3Lions Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,401
    Don't forget the huge tubs of Haribo's :)

Not bought the meat from there yet, I'm hopefully there tomorrow so will have a closer look..
  26. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +641
    Went to Costco today to buy a couple of household items that are on promotion at the mo - baby wipes, loo roll & fabric softener. I now also own enough pork for to feed an army, 36 pitta breads, 24 nan breads, 2 door mats (
    only needed 1 but it was a twin pack), a toy box, a 4ft occassional table, 24 tubes of toothpaste, 6 cans of coconut milk & a newsagent size box of chewing gum. IT'S A BLOODY NIGHTMARE!!! Where one stores all that on top of the 40 loo rolls & 1297 baby wipes I don't know.

They had a sqmetre box of belgian chocolates there today for £30. You'll never see a box like it, unbelievable. One box gift wrapped. You'd have to eat 65kg of them just to get the rest in the car!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
  27. andywylde

andywylde Member

Ratings:
    +74
    My Mother is a caretaker at the local church, she got a membership through that, so it can't be too hard. Havn't had chance to go and look around for myself yet but i have tried the meat and it is good. Particularly the turkey :thumbsup:
  28. nehalem

nehalem Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Personally not a fan of their meat. Tried various cuts and types and personally found it worse than the usual Sainsburys's stuff. But each to their own..
  29. Saldawop

Saldawop Active Member

Ratings:
    +712
    I am a bus driver and got my membership no problem.I know posties can join as well.
  30. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I guess it is all what you are used too....Taste the difference is just about passable...But the rest yuk cheap horrible fatty cuts...