Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cost of tarmaccing driveway ??

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by themoid, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themoid

themoid Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Anyone recently had their drive done ? Not looking for anything fancy, just tarmaccing, but have no idea of a price. Anybody able to give me a ball park figure of what it costs per square metre ?

Cheers

Stu
  2. BrianC

BrianC Member

Ratings:
    +102
    Are you looking at having a "top coat" of tarmac put on top of what you already have, or are you planning on having the existing drive dug up? Also are you planning on making the drive bigger?

Just a top coat of tarmac will be a lot cheaper than putting down a decent layer of hard core first.
  3. themoid

themoid Member

Ratings:
    +20
    just want a new top coat putting down. although there are a few 'holes' where the tarmac has worn away.

suppose i should just get a couple of companies round for quotes ;)

cheers

Stu
  4. njp

njp Active Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I presume you are aware that the tarmac business is notorious for cowboy operators, especially those who have some "left over from a previous job". I saw the results of such a job recently. I assume they'd simply dumped a thin layer of tarmac over the existing lawn, because every time I walk past the house, I see more grass growing through it than before!
  5. Ayub

Ayub Active Member

Ratings:
    +549
    You could go to the local " diy" centre and buy some ready to lay tarmac. It would cost you not much really i would say around £30 or so and you simply heat it up ( gas torch on a low setting is ample) and lay it down. It would cost you less than £100 to do what your thinking of.

I had my garden dug up 1ft of concrete then 3 inch of tarmac. garden size 20ft long 25ft wide.
    Total cost of concrete £300 including mixer hire ( did it myself)
    Total cost of trmac ( they were re surfacing the road, it prompted me to do this too) £cost £100
    Skip £145 ( midi/second one up)

my job. Can post a pic of the final result if you want.
  6. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,364
    I was quoted £2000 to have a proper tarmac drive put in, ie dug out, skipped away, proper foundations, full layer of tarmac. What put me off was that I didn't know whether the vague wave of a hand that accompanied the "we can do that for £2000" was for the specific area my car was standing on (about 8m by 5m) or all my hardstanding, which is a fair bit more, also it was a cold call because they were "in the area" :D THe latter was true as they were doing 3 or 4 brick drives in my street.

Dave
  7. eFGee

eFGee Member

Ratings:
    +13
    If in doubt, I'd always get any quote in writing for any type of work - it usually sorts out the cowboys from non -cowboys and will define the extent of the works they are quoting for. In addition, it will give you a contact address and phone number in case things go wrong. If a deposit or stage payments are required, insisit on sending them to the quotation address.

It's not a bargain if it's faulty, you've paid for it and you can't get it put right.
  8. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,364
    A good point. In my case I didn't ask for clarification as I didn't want to look as if I was interested, they were hard enough to get rid of when I simply said no. As it was 3 different members of the crew visited me a further 3 times during the week to ask if I wanted my drive doing...

They seem to have done a good job of the 4 drives they did in the street (all brick pavers) , but I do wonder how many of the 4 were talked into a drive they didn't really want.

Dave
  9. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +365
    Check if any work done is guaranteed and if yes make sure you know where their business office is located.

An elderly neighbour asked for my opinion when some guys came knocking and bamboozled her with technical talk (Irish gypo speak :)) saying her drive was in bad shape and they just so happened to have some left over tarmac to fix it but and at a discount; but only if she said yes there and then. They were doing 4 other drives on the same street, all elderly folk, so she was going to have it done!!

I convinced her drive was in fact OK and the boss man wasn't amused when I asked for his business address. Her drive was still fine 5 years later!!

Isn't the left over tarmac normally free from the council :)
  10. zircon3035

zircon3035 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    My mother had so many layers of dubious tarmac dropped on her drive that there was no room for the wrought iron gates to go on the hinges. So the dodgey tarmac guys got rid of them for her.

The worst part was when we came to sell the house; we had to pay a couple of grand to get the drive dug out and replaced as the tarmac was covering the damp course.
  11. paulyoung666

paulyoung666 Active Member

Ratings:
    +941
    please do your homework properly for this , the house across the road didnt , they went for cowboys that were NOT cheap , the drive looks a right mess now and it is less than 2 years old :facepalm:
  12. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    I see a nice little link sneaked in there with the full stop. :D

They should pass it on to my local council. They can use it to fill up the damn potholes! Its like a slalom course going down the high street!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  13. GasDad

GasDad Remembered (1964-2012)

Ratings:
    +766
    Blimey - that is subtle advertising :)
  14. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,364
    It was subtle advertising :D
    bumping my three year old post to do it wasn't very cool though :)
    Dave
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  15. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    Didn't even look at the date of the post :eek:
  16. GasDad

GasDad Remembered (1964-2012)

Ratings:
    +766
    Oh I don't know - he's probably wasted on the black stuff - if he's going around hiding stuff in micro dots, he ought to be working for the MI6:cool:
  17. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +365
    :blush: I should have spotted that too. There were enough clues!
  18. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

Ratings:
    +502
    Also, what grade of Tarmac is something to consider.

Tarmac is not just Tarmac
  19. SeanT

SeanT Active Member

Ratings:
    +372
    Lol @ spamming via a moderators three year old thread!
  20. ps3mad

ps3mad New Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Just watch out for the pikeys :D
  21. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,364
    time to let this one die :D

Dave
Thread Status: