Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost effective (cheap) streaming/speaker options

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by nictry, Nov 30, 2012.

1. nictry

nictry Active Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Situation is this, will have a main TV (which has weak speakers as most modern plasmas do) and blu ray player and PS3 connected and currently no separate amp/speakers etc.

Plan is to have separate speakers and then to be able to use the speakers to have music either directly from a stand alone HDD or via a laptop on itunes etc.

Nothing in place currently and will plan to have a wireless router for BB (sky) and can easily use homeplugs to network anything up but main question is what to buy in terms of speakers/streaming options.

Dont really want an Amp, dont really want a combined dvd/br home cinema system but open to anything that keeps costs to a minimum but enables the listening to music in a wireless/homeplug type arrangement?

Hope that is clear (I may have confused things with my description) and cost wise can I reiterate this has to be as cheap as possible (<£200 total if possible)

Thanks in advance
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +919
    Just a bit ;)

You'll do lot better 2nd hand for that sort of money. What about a set of AudioEngine A2 self-amped speakers hooked up to the TV, then use your PS3 to stream music/video from laptop running Twonky media server? There's a set of AudioEngine A2 on t'Bay now for £140.

If your TV only has S/PDIF out, you can get simple DAC to feed the A2s for less than £20.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. nictry

nictry Active Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Thanks and I guess at does away with the need for a separate amp, problem is would that not still require the TV to be on even wen streaming music, ie to have the Ps3 on running through the TV?
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +919
    Yes, the TV would need to be on. As you already have iTunes, an Apple Airport Express at the £80 mark is by far the cheapest streamer which will be integrate right in with iTunes. If you bumped up your budget to Audio Engine A5/A5+ speakers, they have RCA input for the TV and a 3.5mm input for the Airport Express.

However that would be pushing you closer to £400 all in.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012