Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Core i5 1st or 2nd Gen ?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Processors' started by robinhood1701, Jul 5, 2011.

1. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    PC recently died, so am getting a laptop, seen a good spec'd one with a i5-480M Arrandale CPU, but not sure, would a i5 2nd Gen, say a i5-2410M Sandy Bridge be very much different ?
  2. AlpsUk

AlpsUk Active Member

Ratings:
    +737
    The performance of the 2nd Gen Sandybridge i5 is much better than the 1st gen, however it all depends on what you are going to use the laptop for as the price difference might not make it worthwhile.
  3. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    General use really, browsing, word processing, some spreadsheets, music, video, some DVD and a little Blu Ray work, seen a Acer, i5 1st Gen,17" hi def screen, 6gb ram, 640hdd, Blu ray/DVD combo, or, Toshiba i5-2410M, 17" hi-def screen, 4gb ram, 640hdd, DVDrw only, have a new, three month old, Pioneer BD Re-writer, that am installing in a ext caddy, so not a big loss, Think you can upgrade the RAM in the Toshiba, in future easily ? Looking at the Tosh more in detail now, it has better speakers, Onkyo, with bass enhancement & Dolby, plus, have read Toshiba's have good reliability ? And, the Tosh is only £30 more, think I may have an answer, what do you think ?
  4. AlpsUk

AlpsUk Active Member

Ratings:
    +737
    I'd go fot the Tosh. 4gb memory is plenty for now and for only £30 more and a sandybridge processor its a no brainer for me.
  5. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    It's now a no brianer for me as well tictac, ordering soon.
  6. dphogwood

dphogwood Member

Ratings:
    +0
    let us know how you find it :)
  7. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Ordered from Amazon thurs b4 4, on one day delivery free trial, came sat morn, half eleven, hmmm...
    Hoping for fri afternoon, on one day trial,

Still getting used to it, and W7, had WXP for years, recovering all my data from my old system HDD's as i type, got 5, 2 x 400GB, 1 x 250GB, ex C:, that where in PC, 1 x500GB & 1 x36 WD Raptor that i used as backups in a Sharkoon HDD dock,
    Screen on Toshiba seems to have quite a bit of blue in it, must get around to trying settings,
    Shrank C: on Tosh to give more storage by about 100GB, created an extra partion, wanted to expand D:, but its OK,
    managed to set up my old HP 8450 printer thru the router, it has a LAN port, can print wirelessly now, which is great, tried to set up the Sharkoon HDD dock up on LAN, but failed, any ideas? it has a LAN port,

But just getting used to the Tosh n W7 at mo,
    Spent most of yesterday breaking up my old PC, got most of the space back near the front door now! There was alot of dust n stuff behind it, better half dead chuffed,
    Will report back here in a few days on progress,
  8. Musicacbx

Musicacbx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2500k i5 and I love it never used previous gen but this on all the benchmarks I found out performed the older socket 1156.
  9. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that, going well at mo, glad i got a i5 2410m, still getting used to laptop, like the touch pad, never used one before, used a mouse for years, someone else said not to go for the older i5 chipsets, which i think they had probs with ?
    Yes ?
  10. blineboy

blineboy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    if you can try get a i7-2630qm youll love it
  11. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I've recently upgraded from a 1st gen core2Duo to Sandy Bridge i5-2500k and the difference is unbelievable when pushing the system a bit harder than surfing and emailing!

However I'd recommend getting a SSD for the system disk as that makes the biggest difference of all. Worth getting a SSD before upgrading IMO, as it may be the improvement you're craving without spending loads.

If the cost of Sandy Bridge and SSD is getting a bit too much I'd recommend an i5 with SSD over the i7 without SSD.
  12. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Interesting, thanks for that, had no experience of SSD's
    But it seems like they are very good,
    But looking at the price of them, very expensive, seems like another new piece if tech that is vastly overpriced, but will come down in future, similar to DVD-Rewriters, hundreds when new, £20 or less now,

I went for a Toshiba L775-119 laptop, Core i5 2410M, 4GB (but now 8gb) 640gb HDD, which is all the budget would run to,
    Still getting used to it, after PC's for years, gained more space n less cables tho...
  13. PAH

PAH Member

Ratings:
    +65

Yes, compared to mechanical hard drives they are expensive per gb. But for performance it's worth it!

60gb ones (large enough for a main system drive, using a normal large drive or NAS for secondary storage) are well under a ton now and will drop further as they get more popular and they ramp up production.
  14. bumpyhunter

bumpyhunter New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Laptops cannot always replace Desktops. Each has its own Advantages & Disadvantages. Desktop is always a must for every house.
  15. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Under a ton ?
    Might be worth waiting.....
  16. robinhood1701

robinhood1701 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    That's if you have the use for a desktop, and the space,
    Can do plenty with a laptop these days
  17. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Very true but it all depends on the individual. No doubt that desktops give you more performance/$ but if you haven't got the space or need the portability...sounds like you made the right decision for yourself. :smashin:

The Toshiba looks like a very solid laptop. Had you considered the Dell Outlet at all?