Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy game files to new SSD

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by YitEarp, Dec 10, 2013.

1. YitEarp

YitEarp Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Hi i have an aging SSD with game files on that i want to transfer to a 250gb 840 SSD

Any idea how i do it? Or would it be easier just to download the games again?
  2. aslird

aslird Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Are they steam games? If so, gamesave manager has an option to move steam games from one drive to another. It will also backup your saved games, allowing you to put them back into the new drive.
  3. =adrian=

=adrian= Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,809
    I'm interested in this too. I'll be moving BF4 (Origin game) from my C: HDD to my new SSD which will be C: as well. I wanted to try just to copy from one to another and see if it would work.

Later my current C: drive will be formated and used as a back up drive.
  4. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    Some are but others are origin also and uplay
  5. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    Also i have 840 250gb drives - They are both same speed etc i want to extend them into one 500gb drive but the option to extend in diskmgr is not there?
  6. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    Me too trying to move BF4 to the new drive don't fancy d/l 30gb again even though it shouldn't take long would mean i've got to take the pc downstairs to get the full broadband speed.

I can't see any option in origin to move the download folder only create a new one. Im wondering if i just copy it and point it back to the new install it will work.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. aslird

aslird Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,797
    Origin and Uplay are a bit dumb when it comes to them finding them games on a new drive (I think Nero had this problem). With those, i personally would just re-download them.
  8. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    Well I have copied the folders to the new drive. Hoping origin will do its thing and repair if needed. Steam was easier. Uplay I have no hope for as it installs everywhere.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    If you copy the origin folder across to its new destination and set origin to that folder then you will be good to go. With BF4 it will require you to download again but it picks up the files and adds if necessary so it will work and wont need to d/l anything
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. =adrian=

=adrian= Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,809
    Sounds good. I do not fancy downloading the 30+ Gb again. Last time it took me something like 6 hours on my broadband.

How do you point Origin to the folder and make it to look for games there?
  11. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    Its in the settings tab of origin
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,920
    With Origin, I found that the easiest way was to start the download on your fresh drive, then pause it after 1%. Exit Origin, move your old Origin folder into the new folder, then launch Origin again. It would then scan the folder, find 1%, check the rest and suddenly spring to 100% and finish.

However, of the 4? times I did it for me and friends during the course of the life of BF3 (all of us upgrading to SSDs, or bigger SSD's), one of the 4 failed and would not accept the files and required me to download BF3+Premium all over again.
  13. namuk

namuk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,980
    unless your on 56k then download the games again, if not you will get issues in the longrun and why faff around when your on Broadband as that's the whole point.
  14. YitEarp

Ratings:
    +279
    No issues here whatsoever - Moved the files to the new drive changed path in origin and it found them all no problem without having to download anything plays as it should now. Origin reported download speeds of 356mbs :D
  15. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,865
    Yeah i moved my BF4 over like that to ssd fine, wasn't going to download again as it took me 16hrs :(

Tho i did have to delete stuff as the move and install method will require double the space before it starts to figure stuff out and skip files, even tho i had 40GB free had to delete stuff to let it work. Time for bigger ssd with all these big games!
  16. richardb70

richardb70 Active Member

Ratings:
    +720
    You can pretty much transfer anything to your SSD without worrying about redownloading it. Make sure Steam (or whatever) isn't running, then move the game folder from your mechanical disc to your SSD.

Now all you need to do is create a symbolic link from where the folder used to be to where the folder is now. Drop into DOS and use:

mklink /J <old folder path> <new folder path>

e.g. for Skyrim, where D is your mechanical drive, and C is your SSD:

mklink /J D:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim C:\games\Skyrim

P.S. Here's a guide: A Guide: How to move certain games and/or Steam onto an SSD! - Steam Users' Forums
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Tim Bisley

Tim Bisley Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Steammover does this for you on an idiot proof interface if like me you think Symbolic links are voodoo.

I use it to swap games back and forth between my HDD & SSD depending on what i'm playing.
  18. richardb70

richardb70 Active Member

Ratings:
    +720
    True, true - but this method works for anything (not just Steam games), not sure how flexible Steammover is in that respect! Like the "voodoo" comment :), I've been doing this for over a year now and no problems. I only have a smallish SSD (128Gb) so I occasionally move games around, pretty much zero faff.
  19. Tim Bisley

Tim Bisley Member

Ratings:
    +154
    It's voodoo because it seems to 'move' the files quicker than if you copied them.

It's nice to know how to do it for other files, so thanks for the tip :)
  20. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,865
    Can just move the game folder in steam and click install to discover files. Copy folder over to your other drives steam folder - steamapps/common. Uninstall game with "Delete local content" from in right click menu. Click Install game/select other steam library drive, then will discover files and be done in seconds.