Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copy files to my PS3 from my PC via Windows

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by Ed the Penguin, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Bear with me; this is my first thread here! :clap:
    I've been chatting with a mate of mine and he reckons the following would be possible, but I disagree:

Is it possible to copy files from my PC to my PS3, but not copy from the XMB on the PS3. I want do the copying from Windows on my PC instead (e.g. Mapping a Network Drive).

Sorry if this has already been posted. I've looked everywhere for it though
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. Br0ken

Br0ken Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Hi, welcome to the forums dude. Here's a Media Guide all about the PS3. It has a few sections on numerous ways of getting media access, including sharing media between a PC and the PS3, copy media across is relatively straightforward. Take a look at the guide and if you have any more questions feel free to post them in the Guides thread.

Guide: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681190
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    You cannot copy anything back off the PS3 to your PC via Windows as far as i'm aware.

You may be able to use a USB HDD and back stuff up and somehow access it when plugging the same drive into your PC, although I can't remember how backups are stored and whether it's all readable via a PC.
  4. Br0ken

Br0ken Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Yup as Axum says you can't copy back from the PS3 over a network connection. It's worth mentioning the the PS3 is a media player, and not a media server.

You can copy files to a harddrive via the Copy option when pressing the Triangle button when a file is selected on the XMB.

The backup option that Axum touched upon might be a bit different so worth checking.
  5. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin Member

Ratings:
    +131
    Yeah that's what I do.. It's actually no problem to me as there's only about 2 metres distance between my PC and my PS3, my mate was wondering to stop him having to go upstairs and downstairs as his PC and PS3 are on different floors.
    Thanks for your help guys!
  6. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Could you not just setup a wireless solution for him then ?
  7. Ed the Penguin

Ed the Penguin Member

Ratings:
    +131
    He already has media sharing set up, but that means he has to do the copying from the PS3. He wants to be able to do it from his PC which, as stated above, won't work.
  8. Axum

Axum Active Member

Ratings:
    +815
    Oh, so he wants to be sitting at his PC on one floor, and be able to copy stuff over to his PS3 on another floor so it's all ready and waiting when he goes to his PS3 ?

No, as I stated, that's not possible :(