1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

continuous horizontal grey line across screen on Series 6 50inch Samsung

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by chrisbarras, Feb 4, 2009.

1. chrisbarras

chrisbarras Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Have just bought a Series 6 Samsung 50inch, my first big telly. Lovely picture, but disappointed to see a continuous horizontal thin (circa 1 cm) faint grey line about a third of the way down the screen. This is most noticeable on pale backgrounds, for example sky, and particularly if the shot is moving.
    Shows up quite well, along with less obvious similar lines, in the "white"" or "scrolling" bit of the screenburn protection settings.
    Not obvious when the screen is full of colour. Occurs with all sources.
    Is this normal or common?
    Is it rectifiable?
  2. Bill Went

Bill Went Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have just purchased a series 5, which was on sale because it was last year's model. I have noticed the same problem. There is a horizontal bar that goes across the screen when the picture is displaying a white or other light background. I wouldn't say mine is continuous, though it does appear to be wider than 1 cm for me. I would say it is closer to 5 cm on my screen; seems to be the same distance, about a third of the way down. I was also a little dissapointed since it is brand new and has a great picture all things considered. Not sure what the problem is. I suspect it "may" be that there is somesort of wire or cord that goes behind the screen or something in the screens operation that gives it that line. The other option is that both our TV's our defective, a not as appealing alternative. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?
  3. chrisbarras

chrisbarras Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    got in touch with tech guys today and she said it's a faulty xy controller or some such in the screen and they have offered me a replacement.
    I'll happily take it as it does seem pretty nice otherwise. Hope the next one lasts a bit longer!
    A bit disconcerting when you hope that these products should last at least 10 years of normal viewing.
    Hope this helps, Bill.
  4. Bill Went

Bill Went Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good that you found the problem. I am not too sure if it is worth replacing mine or not. The line is only visable in some instances, often on a light background. If you can let me know if the new one has a problem or not also.