Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental shift patterns

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by PaulaB, Oct 7, 2006.

1. PaulaB

PaulaB Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Where I work they are talking about moving to continental shift patterns. Now I know that there is a pattern of 4 on 4 12 hour shifts but what other patterns of 12 hours are there? I have tried googling and using yahoo but cant find any information. They want to make one plant continental first and whatever shift pattern we choose :)god: ) will be the only shift pattern. The thing is that they want people to volenteer for this and only when they get that will they discuss what shift patterns will be available.

:lease: :lease:
  2. Peridot

Peridot Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    You can have just about any combination you want, that makes up the average weekly hours required. Generally boils down to whether you want a single lengthy period of free time each month or more shorter periods.

Been a long time since I worked shifts but I do think the 12 hr patterns are much better than the 8hr ones (and the vast majority of people I know who have tried both agree).

The only problem I recall was spending too much on leisure pursuits during all the time off :)
  3. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +262
    Yep, I've done both types, the 3x8hr shifts, and the 2x12 hr shifts..... these are both referfred to as 'incontinent' shift patterns.. :D

12hrs, 4 days on, 4 days off, is definitely the preferred option in my experiences..... but as already mentioned, watch your spending habits on the off-days... :rolleyes:
  4. Henry

Henry Member

Ratings:
    +58
    That is what is known as continental shift patterns. Although it can be difficult at first, it does offer people a lot of flexibility and time off to do other things or be with their families.

It's also cheaper for a company to operate as it (normally) almost totally removes overtime and it requires less people to operate a 24/7 operation.

So it does offer great time off but if you rely upon overtime where you work now, that'll disappear to a very large extent.
  5. mjn

mjn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,534
    i did 3 x 12 hour shifts per week, which is actually quite good. 4 day weekend every week, including a few other perks.
  6. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,626

I work 4 on/off days and nights . Did a bit of research last year for a work based assignment , your right , there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there unless you are willing to pay for it . One question to consider , does the company work 24/7 365 , or does it shut down over chrimbo / new year ? The standard 4/4 does not give a fair spread of christmas off :mad: .Which is a pain when you can't take leave or have kids . I did come across an excellent patern which gives every other weekend 3 days off . I'll see if I can find it

John
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. RMCF

RMCF Active Member

Ratings:
    +515
    I currently work the 4 on ,4 off pattern. Alternates between days then nights.

I have been doing this for 11 years or so and still find it tiring at times, but am still happy to do it due to the fact that you get the 4 days totally to yourself. This means that you can take short breaks without the need for holidays, or have loads of time to get other things done.

However the cons are mainly that when you are on shift you basically have 4 days/nights of work, eat, sleep, work, eat, sleep. You tend to have no time to get anything done. You have to accept that its all work and no (or very little) play.

Plus the shift pattern will play havoc with your social life. You will have 4 weekends off, but then you will be working 4 weekends, so you nights out might be on a Tue/Wed etc instead of a Fri/Sat. Also if you play any organised sport then it will gradually die, or else you will have to use up your holidays to participate.

My brother does another pattern which is much different. It is meant to be healthier on the body. He gets a full week off at the end of each month, but it the other 3 weeks it means he spends a lot of time in work compared to out of it.
  8. dng007

dng007 Member

Ratings:
    +47
    LOL. me too! I was just about to think back to my physical geography A level days!
  9. ageevee

ageevee Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    i work continentals our pattern is 2 days 2 nights followed by four off best pattern ive ever worked
  10. PaulaB

PaulaB Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That is the problem, they are asking for people to volenteer for continental shifts, after they have done that they will tell us what shift patterns are available. This is for one plant but we have to relise that this pattern will eventually be the one the whole factory will follow so thinking about it carefully is important. We do not know about christmas or how it will run at all.
  11. ageevee

ageevee Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    our exact shift pattern is 2days followed by 2 nights then 4 off then we get 18 days off every seven weeks no floating holidays only shutdown if for christmas
  12. bowenjones

bowenjones Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    That's the same shift pattern I was doing for the last three years and I agree with you, much easier than doing 4 straight 12 hour day or night shifts imo.
    Sadly, I'm now on a 3 shift pattern which, although they're only 8 hours long, is a lot more taxing than the conti's with less shift allowance as well. I really miss the extra time off too :(