1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

considering an apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by toon master, Apr 1, 2012.

1. toon master

toon master Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Am a relative newbie to apple but loving my imac and macbook pro.

Am now considering apple tv- just need a bit of help with some very basic questions :lease:

1) Is it easy to put my existing dvds on to my mac? Is it just a case then of streaming to my tv? Could I stream to my macbook pro or in the future an ipad?
    2) Is the setup easy?
    3) What are the benefits of apple tv- i.e whats available- netflix, lovefilm etc..?

This is just a starting point- im sure i'll think of others!

Thanks in advance.
  2. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    1. You need to rip the DVD's first and then convert to Apple supported m4v or mp4 files. Use Ripit App or MacTheRipper for the first bit and HandBrake or better still IVI for the second part. Time is dependent on how powerful your Mac is. Does take time but worth it as then available to all other Mac and iThings.

2. AppleTV is absolutely dead simple and quick to set up. Literally takes a few mins if you follow the onscreen instructions.

3. No lovefilm but there is Netflix and obviously Apples iTunes store for buying and renting. iTunes Match for Music and PhotoStream from iThings too.

This is the right place for ANY questions no matter how daft or numerous fella!

Just ask...
  3. toon master

toon master Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers mate.
    Is MacTheRipper and IVI easy to use? Not too confident with macs yet!

Sounds like I'll definitely be buying AppleTV tho!
  4. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    I use Ripit as find it handles more wide a range of discs. It's very easy to use.

IVI is dead simple, just drop your file in there and chose your preset device for output the first time and then it converts in batch if you like and grabs the metadata ready for iTunes. Loads of tweaking can be done, but I just use it with the presets at present.
  5. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Just use Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/?article=download for DVDs as its one simple step to make iTunes, iPad, appletv format videos...

I use the appletv 2 setting and they play on iPad 2, appletv 2 and iPhone 4 just fine... Includes stereo and DD 5.1 surround sound for appletv playback too...

Get Subler http://download.cnet.com/Subler/3000-13631_4-10964701.html to download movie artwork and descriptions etc... Both of these apps are free but Subler you can make donation if you wish...

For Blu Ray ripping get MakeMKV it is also free... http://www.makemkv.com/download/
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  6. iNspectorgadJet

iNspectorgadJet Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I just got my first Apple TV a few days ago and I love it. Definitely worth the purchase. It may be just my imagination, but I swear the picture quality is much better on 720P video that I used to stream using DLNA.
    Now I just download the 720P mkvs and drag them onto IVI and they work beautifully.
  7. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    IVI is also a one stop process, if bought through their website as opposed to from the Mac App Store, and even looks up the Metadata during the process. HandBrake and Subler would be a two stage process in my book?
  8. rob99

rob99 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I've started using IVI as well instead of handbrake/metax
    Seems a better all in one solution so far worth the £2.49
  9. toon master

toon master Member

Ratings:
    +4
    So IVI is all I need?
    Happier with a one-step process.