1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connection Sony Bravia to a PC

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MarkBraund, Jan 7, 2008.

1. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm new to these things so any help you can give would be great! :thumbsup:

I just got a Sony Bravia KDL26 -T2800 and am trying to connect it to my PC via a DVI -> HDMI cable from the PC to TV.

However, its not working at all. The PC detects the TV, but the TV cannot detect my PC via the auto-detect HDMI setting. The PC automatically sets to a resolution of 1152 x 648 when you connect the PC (and I have tried various other resolution settings without luck).

If anyone can suggest anything I will be forever in your debt :lease:
  2. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Set to 720p or 1080i. I don't think you can do 1:1 pixel mapping over HDMI on the 26" Bravias. If you want that use a VGA cable.
  3. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And, at the risk of sounding really stupid, how do I do that?? Is it a TV setting? :confused:
  4. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I found some settings in my ATI Control centre for 'forcing' 1080i - I tried doing this, got a warning about damaging equipment through forcing, clicked ok and then my monitor went blank.

Luckily it corrected itself after a restart, but I still cant get the PC picture on my screen. I had no idea it would be this hard!

Please, can someone give me some ideas to work with???
  5. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still trying to fix this - anyone with any ideas?
  6. NX3

NX3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +333
    Update your video drivers to the latest from ATI. Then try using 720p thought the set should do 1080i. Have you got a VGA cable to hand out of interest?
  7. tdodd

tdodd Member

Ratings:
    +182
    According to the manual for the 26T3000, which is the closest I can find online to the 26T2800, the max supported resolution from a PC is 1280*768@60 over VGA and 1360*768@60 over HDMI.

1280*768, 1024*768 and 800*600 should work over either connection. I suggest you make sure your PC resolution is set to one of these values and take it from there.
  8. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - my PC is set to a value within that range. I have also tested everything down to 800 x 600 - and still no luck when I search for HDMI connections. Any ideas??
  9. arby1

arby1 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    yes, vga as before mentioned. at least it gives you a starting point to work from, and vga is often better than hdmi as you should be able to get 1:1 pixel mapping. you'll see why you want that when it comes to reading text on the screen.
  10. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks - will try it but means I need a new cable. Only have a dvi-dvi cable (as only have dvi outputs on the PC) and was hoping to get away with that!
  11. vince379

vince379 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    What's this about auto detection and searching for HDMI? How about manually selecting the correct input?

On my T3000, which I believe is almost the same as the T2800, I press menu, select external inputs and then AV4. This then displays my PC perfectly via DVI to HDMI cable. I can't think why else it would not work.
  12. MarkBraund

MarkBraund Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh you have to be kidding me - that worked! There is a HDMI menu and I assumed thats what was needed to set it up - just wasnt detecting anything. Have ordered a DVi-VGA cable now, but sounds like thats a good thing for the 1:1 mapping anyway

Thanks for all the help :smashin:
  13. vince379

vince379 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Hehe yep often the thing you overlook is the simple requirement to make it work. Glad I could help you out. Yeah i've been meaning to try vga for 1:1 pixel mapping but as it's analogue it won't look as good as digital because as tdodd mentioned earlier the max res supported by the tv from a pc via a VGA cable is 1280x768 and unfortunately this looks blurry and horrible and does not fill the entire screen space.

You're better off with DVI to HDMI because it allows you to use the max supported res of 1360x768 which is not far from the LCD's native res of 1366x768 and text looks absolutely fine to me! The tv looks better than my LCD monitor, which is also DVI, so I fail to see how pixel mapping is going to look noticably better but eh I don't know cos i've never tried it.

Therefore, I do not recommend using the ATI HDTV control panel settings which offer you the following res for 720p: 1152x648 and 1280x768.

Instead manually set your res to 1360x768 for the best and nearest res to your LCD for amazing HD awesomeness when using your DVI to HDMI cable.