Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting original xbox to an HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Original Xbox' started by Kev415, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Kev415

Kev415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am trying to connect my original chipped xbox to a Samsung smart tv (LED) which is wall mounted with all the cables buried in the wall. The only cable available is an HDMI so tried a convertor from ebay (component to HDMI) but the tv says no signal. I have tried the xbox using the component inputs and it works fine but was hoping to not have any cables visible - any suggestions appreciated
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Was it an active (powered) component to HDMI signal converter you tried? Or just a component to HDMI cable?

Component signals are analogue, whereas HDMI uses digital signals. To go from one to the other, you need to use an active signal converter. A simple 'component to HDMI' cable will not work. There are lots of these cables available on eBay, but they have very limited practical use.

If it was a powered signal converter you tried, then I'm guessing it was faulty.
  3. Kev415

Kev415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Yes the convertor is a mains operated model
  4. Kev415

Kev415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    The term "RCA" refers to the physical connector on the equipment you are using, not the video signal type:

RCA connector - Wikipedia

"Component" video uses 3x RCA connectors - red, blue and green.

"Composite" video uses a single RCA connector - yellow.

A red & white pair of RCA connectors run in parallel with the Component/Composite video feeds to transfer stereo audio.

As Composite and Component video signals are different, the converter listed in the eBay ad won't work. I don't know if the original xbox supports component out, but if it does you could purchase a component cable for it and still use the converter. Alternatively, you would need to get a specific Composite to HDMI converter.

Also, the term "RGB" refers to yet another type of video signal - typically transferred over SCART. The converter doesn't handle RGB signals, so there's no reason why the eBay listing should have that in the title. I'm guessing this stems from the fact that the device uses Red/Green/Blue cables, but it just confuses things for people who aren't so well clued-up on this equipment.
  6. Mr_Ceee

Mr_Ceee Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  7. Kev415

Kev415 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. bash

bash Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi Kev, that will work but probably wont be the best picture quality wise. You're better off hunting down an official Microsoft HD Component cable. Not the "box" pack but there was a U.S component cable which was gold plated and gave out a superior picture and stereo sound compared to the 3rd party options and also had an optical out for 5.1 too.
  9. qwakuk

qwakuk Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I have the cable Bash is recommening with the optical out, not sure it has gold connectors but i had audio connected optically and the picture was via the svideo plug built into the cable. I am no longer using my Xbox and will be putting it in the classifieds at the weekend. If it does not sell as a package will consider selling you the HD cable.
  10. bash

bash Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Hi Kev, mines for sale in the classifieds along with a 360 webcam.