Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting my PC to a monitor to in another room

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by elsmandino, Feb 21, 2012.

1. elsmandino

elsmandino Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, I have got an old flat screen 15" monitor gathering dust that has built in speakers and a VGA input for the video and a regular 3.5mm input for audio.

I was wondering it it were possible to link this monitor (which will be in the kitchen) to my computer room which is in the room behind - there is already a gap that would allow any wires between the two.

My PC has three outputs - DVI, VGA and HDMI and I am currently using the DVI to connect it to the monitor and have some speakers connected to the 3.5mm output.

Is there any cheap way of getting audio and video on the second monitor?

I have looked a loads of various ways, but nothing quite fits the bill:

1. I have a scart video sender - is there any such adapter that can convert VGA and 3.5mm to scart and send the signal this way.
    2.. I could buy an extra long VGA lead but these seem pretty expensive and then I would lack the sound.
    3. I have seen that it is possible to use and ethernet cable and manually add a VGA connector and a 3.5mm connector to each end, but with mixed results.

Any advice as to how this could be done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.