Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting multiple TV with 1 aerial + freeview help

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jason85, Dec 30, 2006.

1. jason85

jason85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, im new and only have a couple of questions to ask, sorry if its in the wrong area.

we have 3 TV in the house, and 1 freeview box, currently its connected like this

aerial-freeview box-VCR-main TV

there is a Y splitter type thing on the main TV, in which another aerial lead connects to TV number 2 in my brothers room, then another Y splitter from his TV to my TV (TV number 3)

the main TV also has DVD player and VCR connected by scart as well

the problem is the reception on my TV is very very poor when TV 2 is connected, but when i disconnect TV 2 and have aerial from main TV to mine, its much better, has the cabling been installed incorrectly?

also i noticed once freeview box has been installed, terestrial TV reception quality is decreased? thanks for ur help
  2. s-bravia

s-bravia Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Im afraid that the box is designed to feed only one TV unit, doing what you mentioned will split the TV single and that causes the signal to be weaker, that is why when you disconnect TV2,then you get a better picture on TV1. There should be some "jumper" thing that can amplify the TV single. Only the thing is, I have no idea what it looks like and how much it costs.

But to be honest with you the freeview box is so cheap nowaday, you should get one each of the TV. Besides, how can people in different room watch different show ??since the signal comes from the same box ???? that means everyone have to watch the same show even on the different TV ??
  3. Andy98765

Andy98765 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,491
  4. jason85

jason85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hmm ok, lets forget about free view, i can sometimes tune into what is being watched on the freeview box/ VCR anyway because i think the aerial is connected via VCR

but how will i get a constant strong signal among 3 TV's? without disconnecting other TV's?

will i need a signal booster type thing? plug the aerial into that, then from that into the freeview box, and also other out puts to other tv's?

ie aerial - booster - freeview - main tv, split to tv 2, then split to tv 3 which is split 3 times? or

aerial - booster output 1 - freeview + main TV - booster output 2 - TV 2, Booster output 3 to TV 3?
    with the booster, will the signal be strong enough to provide equal signal strength so same channels can be receieved on freeview?
  5. jason85

jason85 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. nig28

nig28 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It may be that the signal is only strong enough for 1 TV. Idealy you should get a pro to have a look at your setup, he could reccomend a new aerial.
    You may get away with a signal booster (placed as close to aerial as pos) but if there is alot of interferrance, you will just boost the interferrance.

Go to this site and check how strong your signal is to start with.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/reception.html#wolfbane

Nigel