Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Laptop to AV

Discussion in 'Monitors, Webcams & External Video Devices' started by zoltan666, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zoltan666

zoltan666 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place for this.

I need to connect my laptop to an AV point (red,yellow & white sockets). What is the best and easiest way to do this? My laptop has the normal VGA socket for a manitor but no S-video socket. I've searched on eBay and found these:

S-VGA to 3 RCA SVideo AV Composite Adapter Cable Laptop | eBay

S-VGA to S-Video Gold Plated 3 RCA AV Phone Composite Cable For HDTV PC Laptop | eBay

New High quality USB Male A to 3x RCA AV A/V TV Adapter Lead Cable 5Feet For PC | eBay

Would the usb one even transmit the picture??

Thanks so much in advance guys, i need this to work for my best man speech!!
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,080
    The first 2 links are never going to work as a VGA socket on a laptop will only output RGBHV video and not Composite video. VGA is also a video only connections so would require another cable for audio.
    The 3rd link can't work either as USB is a digital only connection and Composite video plus stereo audio are analogue only connections. You need hardware conversion to go from USB.

Avoid all of these as they are a rip off and can never work.

To connect the VGA output on your laptop to a TV etc with only Composite video input will require hardware conversion with something like this - Proxima PC VGA to TV Composite Video RGB Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Be aware though that the quality of the image will be fairly poor as Composite & S-Video are 720x576 which is almost certainly nowhere near the resolution from your laptop. Composite is also about the lowest quality connection going for video, with S-Video being only slightly better.

Mark.