1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Laptop to AV

Discussion in 'Monitors, Webcams & External Video Devices' started by zoltan666, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zoltan666

zoltan666 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys, sorry in advance if this is the wrong place for this.

I need to connect my laptop to an AV point (red,yellow & white sockets). What is the best and easiest way to do this? My laptop has the normal VGA socket for a manitor but no S-video socket. I've searched on eBay and found these:

S-VGA to 3 RCA SVideo AV Composite Adapter Cable Laptop | eBay

S-VGA to S-Video Gold Plated 3 RCA AV Phone Composite Cable For HDTV PC Laptop | eBay

New High quality USB Male A to 3x RCA AV A/V TV Adapter Lead Cable 5Feet For PC | eBay

Would the usb one even transmit the picture??

Thanks so much in advance guys, i need this to work for my best man speech!!
  2. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    The first 2 links are never going to work as a VGA socket on a laptop will only output RGBHV video and not Composite video. VGA is also a video only connections so would require another cable for audio.
    The 3rd link can't work either as USB is a digital only connection and Composite video plus stereo audio are analogue only connections. You need hardware conversion to go from USB.

Avoid all of these as they are a rip off and can never work.

To connect the VGA output on your laptop to a TV etc with only Composite video input will require hardware conversion with something like this - Proxima PC VGA to TV Composite Video RGB Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Be aware though that the quality of the image will be fairly poor as Composite & S-Video are 720x576 which is almost certainly nowhere near the resolution from your laptop. Composite is also about the lowest quality connection going for video, with S-Video being only slightly better.

Mark.