Connecting external usb hard drive to Sony Bravia

Pob75

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

got a 46 ex 503 and having been looking to hook up a 250gb external hard drive to store mp3s, video files, etc. to play back through TV. Have been having trouble getting the TV to recognise the hard drive as it's needed to be fully formatted as fat 32.

Downloaded a some free partition software that converted the hard drive to fat 32 in a matter of seconds and now it works like a dream.

Just wanted to let other know, in case anyone struggling...

url as follows..Easeus Partition Master Home Edition software download at CNET UK

sofware is called Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 5.8.1, not bad for a free bit of kit.

Hope some of you find it useful!

cheers
Paul

Hi,

got a 46 ex 503 and having been looking to hook up a 250gb external hard drive to store mp3s, video files, etc. to play back through TV. Have been having trouble getting the TV to recognise the hard drive as it's needed to be fully formatted as fat 32.

Downloaded a some free partition software that converted the hard drive to fat 32 in a matter of seconds and now it works like a dream.

Just wanted to let other know, in case anyone struggling...

url as follows..Easeus Partition Master Home Edition software download at CNET UK

sofware is called Easeus Partition Master Home Edition 5.8.1,
I wonder if this is what I'm after.

Just took control of a new KDL 32EX403 - got it mainly for the inbuilt mpeg4) I've also just taken control of a new Iomega external Hard Drives onto which I've copied a number of films but when I connect the hard drive to the TV - nothing. The tv recognizes that something with a usb is connected but that's about it.

Not been tech minded I'm just been a bit careful about formatting things. So question if a format as fat 32 as suggested above will that affect my external hard drive in anyway?

I can view those films quite easily on my laptop using a VLC media player, if I connect the HD to the DVD player via its usb port I can then view the films on the television.

One further question. If the films on the hard drive are recorded in HD and I can connect my external hard drive directly to the television will I get HD quality. If I'm not going to be able to view in HD then I might as well just attach to my DVD player, which is incidentally a Toshiba SD.

Many thanks for help clearing up my confusion

but when I connect the hard drive to the TV - nothing. The tv recognizes that something with a usb is connected but that's about it.

Intially when I connected my Seagate drive to it didn't recognise the usb hard drive, my Sony blu ray player would, but stated it was an unrecognised usb device.

Not been tech minded I'm just been a bit careful about formatting things. So question if a format as fat 32 as suggested above will that affect my external hard drive in anyway?

Obviously if you format something you're esentially wiping data from the hard drive so you'd be best to copy the files elsewhere before formatting the hard drive as fat32. I did try and just create a fat32 partition on the hard drive (i.e. divide it in two, with two different formats) but the TV didn't like this so instead I formatted the whole drive as fat32. It was straight forward enough using the free program- did it in a matter of seconds for me. Just remember to save the files elsewhere before you start though!

I can view those films quite easily on my laptop using a VLC media player, if I connect the HD to the DVD player via its usb port I can then view the films on the television.

One further question. If the films on the hard drive are recorded in HD and I can connect my external hard drive directly to the television will I get HD quality. If I'm not going to be able to view in HD then I might as well just attach to my DVD player, which is incidentally a Toshiba SD.

Many thanks for help clearing up my confusion

I'm not entriely sure, I am pretty sure though that when you run a fat32 partition it impose file size limits upon you, i.e. you can only have video files up to a certain size- so this may mean an entire film in HD would exceed this- it might be a 4gb limit- can't quite remember.

Hope this helps!
Paul

worked for me using formatfat32.exe with a 320 GB drive. Using a Sony BDP-370 blu-ray player.
4 GB limit as noted by pob75..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom