1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting external hard drive to Sony BDP-S350

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by phillh79, Sep 29, 2009.

1. phillh79

phillh79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently become an owner of a sony BDP-S350 and i'm wondering what is the best way of getting downloaded content from my laptop to the player?

I have a toshiba satellite L300 which isn't powerful enough to play BD's when connected directly to my Sony Bravia 32E through a standard VGA cable.

Can you connect an external hard drive to the blu-ray player through the USB and play downloaded blu-rays through that?

If its possible what file types are compatible?

Thanks in advance.
  2. philaitman

philaitman Member

Ratings:
    +165
    Nope this isn't possible it's a Blu-Ray disk player not a hooky MKV off the internet player ;)

If you can convert into AVCHD and burn to DVD they will play. The 350 does not support external hard drives for playback only USB flash drives for BD-Live storage.

If you want to play downloads as opposed to disks you would have been better off with a Media player like the popcornhour
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. phillh79

phillh79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers that saves me an unnecessary purchase! I won the BR and a TV and I am looking into what else I need to add to the system.

Would one of those media players have an HDMI output so I can connect it to a network receiver?
  4. petet66

petet66 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Where can you legally download Blu Rays from?
  5. philaitman

philaitman Member

Ratings:
    +165
    You can't hence my use of the term Hooky!

Popcorn hour site is here Welcome To Popcorn Hour and there is a subforum here on AV forums for media players and streamers. Yes it does have HDMI out.
  6. phillh79

phillh79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded a blu-ray film (from a not so legal source) and tried to get it to play using my laptop and it failed miserably. I was hoping there would be an easy fix but obviously not.

I think im going to stick with using lovefilm.com to get my discs, its fairly cheap and its a great way of trying before you buy. These BD's are expensive lol.
  7. petet66

petet66 Member

Ratings:
    +159
    That beats having FACT and trading standards kicking your door in at 7am one morning as well....