Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Blu Ray USB Drive to HDMI TV

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by oosk2k12, Jan 2, 2012.

1. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys

does anyone know if a Blu Ray USB drive will work (to play, not burn) if I connect it to a HDMI TV using a USB-HDMI converter/cable?

mucho appreciata :)

anoush m
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    No it won't

Most can only be used with fat32 formatted drives others sometimes NTFS.
  3. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72 Reviewer

Ratings:
    +568
    No, it won't you need some method of controlling it and you will not get that through a USB - HDMI video interfcae.

Either buy a Blu ray player or a USB TV :)
  5. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i see. my plan was (since the new imac doesn't support hdmi input for a proper player) to use a usb blu ray on windows side of my imac, but also on an hdmi tv as well.

cheers for the info guys. i guess i'll settle for a pc only drive.
  6. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Some cameras and phones have manufacturer special USB ports that double up as a HDMI port for TV playback - this would not be the case for PCs and TVs. In any case you asked to connect a USB device to the HDMI port of the TV - this is not possible.

If you connect a USB blu-ray drive to a PC then you can watch blu-rays with the right software. This won't work if you connect the drive to a TV USB port (most TVs have a USB port) because the TV does not have the drivers and software built in. Electronics isn't just about whether something plugs in.

However: you could 1) convert your blu-ray film to MKV etc with the USB drive on your PC, then 2) burn the MKV file back to a DVD as a data disk, and then 3) the TV might play it if you plug the drive into the TV USB and its spec says it plays MKV media files. Or use a USB hard-drive.
  7. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that reply, but my tv is pretty old with only component/hdmi etc and no usb ports. No worries I'l settle with watching only on a pc, it's a 27" iMac so not so bad, I was just being a little greedy i guess to have it on a tv as well haha.
  8. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh just saw that it can play it off a data disk, good call, i do have a dvd player.
  9. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    It should take an input, I know of guys doing that with a ps3 or xbox. You need something like this or others Belkin AV360™ Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac F2CD007
  10. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Already tried that. The new iMac thunderbolt port only accepts signal from another thunderbolt device. I have new intel that the iMac display is not hdcp compliant. Bummer. I'm contemplating ripping Blu ray to mkv and remove the hdcp.

I can rip to the computer using Blu ray ROM drive right? I don't need a writer? Cheers
  11. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I've only got a lg blu ray writer with my mac so don't know for certain. DVDFab on the mac is great at cloning a bluray to an ISO :) Which my Oppo plays as well. And to MKV, MP4 etc...
  12. oosk2k12

oosk2k12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ok cool. Thinking bout it, I'll probably go for a writer as I won't be able to play off a rom on the iMac anyway. Damn apple, both hate and love them ha.
  13. jwsg

jwsg Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I have a BD writer but have never used it as such - until this year HDDs were cost effective.
    If you really don't want a blu-ray player but have the patience to convert films to MKV etc and then want to play them back via HDMI/analogue into your TV then your best option is probably to store the files on HDD and use one of the many meida players/streamers discussed in that sub-forum or nearby threads like http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...movies-usb-hard-disc-use-blue-ray-player.html In a way this achieves USB playback on HDMI.